Baby, I Think I Love You

Give Credit Where It's Due, Mother

“Jade, sweetie, is there a reason Avery kicked me in the shin and called me a ‘no-good skunk-bag’?” Jasper asked me as he walked into the bedroom, rubbing his leg. He grimaced, but walked up to me nonetheless.

“I told you he was upset about Edwin!” I hissed, turning on my side so I didn’t have to look at him.

“What’s this about now?” he muttered. I could almost feel him roll his eyes.

“Why did you lie to me?” I asked him, jumping out of bed and poking his chest, glaring. “You told me that Edwin cheated on me! You said that he didn’t love me anymore! He didn’t! Quinn told me everything. Why did you fucking lie to me?” I shook my head, laughing as I tried not to cry. I suppose the term would be hysterics.

“Jade, that was forever ago. Why are you trusting her over me? I thought you said you love me. Quinn wants you to be with Edwin, she’s told me so plenty of times. On our wedding day she even came up to me and told me that I shouldn’t have come back. She said that I should have just left when I did and stayed out of your life forever. So is it so strange that she would lie?”

I bit my lip, sighing.

“Please just tell me the truth,” I begged, trying not to cry.

“I did tell the truth. I told you that Edwin cheated on you. It’s not like I said I walked in on him and the chick. I just told you what it seemed like he was going to do.”

He was lying through his teeth, and that really pissed me off. But I swallowed my pride and kept myself from telling him that he’d told me that he had seen it with his own eyes. But I suppose you can’t believe everything that you can see.

“Fine. I’m sorry. Look, I’ve had a long day, so I’m going to just tell Avery and Monique good night, and then I’m going to bed. Okay?” I mumbled, making my way for the door. I had to bite my tongue to keep myself from screaming at him when he reached out and pulled me back to him.

“Are you sure you don’t want to stay up for a little bit?” he purred on my neck. “We could cuddle and see where it goes.” I jerked myself from him.

“For crying out loud! Did you not hear me? I’m tired! I don’t care if you’re ‘in the mood’ because I’m not!” I shrieked, storming out of the bedroom. He mumbled something after me that I didn’t care to catch.

I grumbled profanity as I made my way to Avery’s room. His door was wide open, so I knocked only once before walking in.

“Hi, sweetie,” I murmured, sitting beside him on the bed. He glanced up at me before looking back at his television.

“I heard yelling,” he told me. “Did he find out about Dad?”

“No,” I mumbled. “That’s our little secret, okay?”

“So what was the yelling about? Did you two get a divorce?” he asked, immediately turning to me, such hope in his eyes. I couldn’t look at him knowing I’d be letting him down.

“No, honey, we didn’t. Look, this is really complicated. And I don’t expect you to understand this when I don’t even understand—”

“I understand plenty!” he hissed, scowling. “You’d be so much happier with Dad and you know it! But you refuse to leave Jasper because you left Dad a lot and realized that it was always a mistake. You’re afraid that you’ll leave Jasper only to find that it was a horrible thing to do! But that’s not what will happen.”

I gawked at him, searching for words. I couldn’t believe the things that were coming out of his mouth!

“Have you been talking to Edwin lately?” I asked softly.

“No, he only talks to himself. He refuses to put down Jasper because he says he keeps you happy. I just hear him talking about you all the time. He tells himself that he screwed up so many times that it was bound to happen. He even tells himself that he doesn’t deserve to be on the same Earth as you! I’d like to see Jasper that devoted to you. He’d rather be with Lady Work all the time.”

I shook my head, making my leave of him to bid Monique a good night. I knew that she wouldn’t give me shit about nothing.

“Dad said he just wants a second chance...”

I took in a shaky breath before closing the door softly behind me. I sank against the wall, hugging my knees to my chest as I cried.

I needed to work this out once and for all. No more avoiding Edwin, and no more justifying Jasper.

He was right, and I knew it. I was terrified that leaving Jasper would be just another mistake...

God, men are going to be the death of me.