Baby, I Think I Love You

Hit The Clubs, But Not Literally

Tuesday night... Usually I stayed home and waited for Jasper to get home, but hey. A little change is nice.

I was scurrying across the bedroom, searching desperately for my other earring. It was nowhere to be seen! I sighed as I checked my hair one last time. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Avery standing in the doorway, holding a small hoop in his hand.

“Oh, thanks, honey,” I smiled, taking my earring back. He watched me with curious eyes as I tripped over my own feet, trying to find my purse.

“Where are you going?” he asked, jumping onto my bed.

I turned to him, resting against the dresser. He looked like he wanted to be hopeful, but he thought he knew better.

“Why, I’m having dinner with a friend, sweetie,” I whispered, glancing around the room. “Jasper said he’s going to be late, so I told him I heard from an old friend of mine.”

“Who?” he asked, not buying it. I smiled.

“We’re just having dinner, alright? Don’t tell Jasper, okay?” I winked. He jumped off the bed all of a sudden and hugged the life out of me.

“Dad?”

“Yeah, but it’s just dinner. We need to talk, alright?”

Avery was beaming up at me. He pretended to zip his lips and tossed away an invisible key. I ruffled his hair, giving up on finding the purse. There was a small knock on the bedroom door and I glanced over as it opened.

“I let myself in,” he said sheepishly. “And I wasn’t killed by Monique, so I’m guessing she’s away?”

“Yeah, she’s at Tamara’s for a while. She said she’d probably be back around ten. Aren’t you snazzy?” I remarked, smiling softly. Edwin stepped closer, taking me in his arms suddenly.

“But I suppose you’ve outdone me in the looks department,” he commented, smiling back. “A little provocative, love. Are we trying to get a little extra for dessert?”

“Your son is right here,” I teased, smacking him playfully. “Honey, I called a baby sitter, so be on your best behavior. I don’t want any complaints, young man, or I won’t be able to go out for dinner anymore.”

“We certainly don’t want that, do we?” Edwin whispered, leaning down to ruffle his son’s hair. Avery smiled, nodding before darting out of the room.

“He certainly misses us being, you know, together,” I mumbled into Edwin’s chest, sighing.

“I miss us being, you know, together,” he admitted softly, kissing my forehead. “I love you, Jade.

“I love you, too, but no funny business. Please, I already feel bad enough for cheating on Jasper like this,” I whispered, biting my lip.

“It’s payback for him lying to get you to dump me,” he insisted, pulling himself from me. “Shall we go, milady?” He offered an arm and I took it.

“Will you have me home before morning?” I asked as we walked to the car. He smirked.

“Not if I’m lucky.”

“I have a feeling you will be,” I whispered in his ear, kissing him gently.