Baby, I Think I Love You

Sweetie, I Just Can't Stand You

“What on earth are you screaming about at one in the morning?” I mumbled, shooting up in bed. He was glaring at me, but I just wanted to reminisce. Is that so much to ask?

“What were you doing out late with Edwin?” he hissed, jerking me into his arms. “I thought you said he was gone!”

“No, I didn’t!” I screamed, shoving him away. “I told you that he’s still part of my life! I was having a nice dinner with some friends! God, you need to calm the fuck down!”

“I need to calm down? No, I think you need to stop being a cheap little whore!” he yelled in my face, his eyes set to kill.

“I’m a whore now? What about how you always check other women out? Hmm? Even when I’m with you, you still have those blasted wandering eyes! Am I not pretty enough? I sure as Hell thought I was!”

“Oh, so now we’re going to turn this into a pity party for poor Jade? Real fucking nice! You know what, I don’t even know why I come home! I could be at work! At least they appreciate me there!”

“Yeah, because you live there! God forbid you ever come home for one fucking second! You have a family, but you seem to think otherwise!”

And it kind of went on like that for a while. For a while I mean we were screaming at each other for an hour and forty-two minutes. Then he told me he was going to a bar and he bet that I wouldn’t even miss him if he never came home. I told him that I wouldn’t know what it’s like to have him home, and then he stormed out, slamming the door behind him as loudly as he could.

And then I fell onto the bed, bawling my eyes out. Yeah, this is a healthy relationship.

“Mommy?” Avery whispered, peeking into the room. I glanced up at him, wiping my eyes.

“Yes?” I choked, taking deep breaths.

“Jasper is an asshole.”

I laughed, smiling a little.

“You’ve been talking to your father again, haven’t you?” I mumbled, getting up and pulling him into my arms.

He nestled into my chest, mumbling that he still loved me. I told him that Jasper probably wouldn’t be coming home today, so he told me that he blamed Monique. Then he told me that Edwin would never have screamed at me like that. He certainly only remembered the good moments with Edwin. I sighed, setting him down.

“Would you like to help Mommy get to sleep, baby?” I whispered, hugging him.

“Mom, how many nights have you slept alone?” he murmured, holding me even tighter. He looked so much like his father...

“Enough to know that it can get awfully cold in Summer.”

Hey, know what? Jasper could drink until he drowned for all I cared. Let’s just see if he feels the same when he’s kissing my feet, begging me for forgiveness.

Karma’s a bitch, babe. And I’ll be sure to teach you that lesson.