Baby, I Think I Love You

Sleep Tight

It’d been awhile since I had seen her face. I almost didn’t even recognize her. She was certainly older than the last time I’d seen her. She’d lost all childish innocence, and the frail body of a six-year-old was gone. Her green eyes shone with a hope that had never been known to her when she’d been alive. She looked an awful lot like me, only she was still a human. She seemed to look down on me, and not just because she was a little taller. She was probably in her twenties, but I had no way of knowing.

“Amy?” I whispered, reaching out and grabbing her hand. She stared at me, such despair in her eyes all of a sudden.

“Jade, what happened?” she asked me, her voice like that of an angel. I wanted to hold her, but she seemed disgusted that I was even holding her hand.

“What do you mean? A lot has happened. I really missed you. Did you see your niece and nephew? I wish you could have held Avery when he was little...”

“I’d much rather burn in Hell!”

“What?” Ouch!

“How can you live with yourself?” she asked me, this crazy look in her eyes. “You’re a damnation! And you can’t blame that Kaiser fellow for it either, because he would have stopped if you had really told him to! He could see the uncertainty in your eyes, so he acted on it! How have you gone all of these years knowing that you’re an act against God? And you even damned a poor little baby! How could you?”

“I just wanted to have a normal life. Please, why are you doing this? I always thought that you were watching over me in Heaven. I told Monique that you were! You love me, don’t you? I’m your big sister! I love you, Amy.” My heart was being shattered by the one girl that had never harmed me in any way.

“You messed up, Jade. You fell off the path you were supposed to follow. And you think Jasper makes it any better? He’s just as bad as you! He’s a promiscuous buffoon, and you are... You’re a slut! A filthy vampire slut!”

I let go of her hand, not able to take this.

“You’ve cheated on your husband and slept around quite a lot! If I were you I would have killed myself the second I became a demon from Hell. It’s not too late. I’m sure I can get God to take you back. Just kill yourself. Don’t you want to make me happy? There are plenty of good slayers out there. Just fucking die!”

“I don’t want to die,” I whispered, hardly able to find a voice.

“The world needs you dead! You ruin lives, Jade. You broke a poor boy named Edwin. He was born damned, but you had to screw him up even more! Jasper would be a normal human if you hadn’t been born! There was even hope for Quinn! You destroyed their hope for humanity! You single-handedly killed their souls! Are you proud of yourself?”

“No, I’m not...”

My knees buckled and I fell into a dark oblivion, watching as the Heavens faded out of my reach. Amy was laughing at me, telling me that I belonged in Hell for my deeds. I screamed as the ground got closer and closer until...


I shot up in bed, sweating. I made a dash for the bathroom and threw up. Why was she haunting me all of a sudden?

I forced myself back to sleep, but a peaceful slumber eluded me.