Baby, I Think I Love You

Such A Daddy's Boy

“What do you mean he wasn’t there?” Edwin asked as I flung the front door open.

“He’s been on vacation this whole week! The bastard lied to me!” I hissed. Then I patted Avery on the head, telling him to pretend I hadn’t said profanity in front of him.

“Then why hasn’t he been at home with you? What’s the fucking asshole trying to play?” Edwin growled, pushing Avery into the house.

“That’s what I want to know! Know what? I don’t care. The douche can do whatever the hell he wants because I am done! Let’s just enjoy our time as a family—minus our daughter—okay?” I forced a smile.

“Babe, are you sure you don’t want some time alone? I’d understand,” Edwin murmured, hugging me softly. I held him back. Avery was staring up at me through sad eyes.

“No, I want to spend the day with my family. Like how it’s supposed to be, right, baby?” I asked Avery, pulling him into the hug.

“Hey, mom, what was I like as a baby?” he asked randomly, pulling away and collapsing on the couch. Edwin grinned, leading me over to sit beside him.

“Oh, boy. You were such a Daddy’s boy,” I teased, kissing his forehead. “I didn’t know what to do with you when Edwin and I split up. See, you saw your Daddy walking to the door with a suitcase and started bawling. I tried to get you to stop crying, but you kept shrieking for Eddy to come back. Actually, that’s when you said your first word.”

“I started talking that early?” he gaped, grinning.

“Yeah. You’re our little genius. But eventually I just gave you a picture of Edwin for you to sleep with. You drooled all over it, but it got you to sleep. Goodness, your eyes lit up when you saw Eddy for the first time after our divorce...” I took in a shaky breath. How could I have done that to my baby boy?

“Jade, it wasn’t your fault. Please don’t cry,” Edwin whispered, kissing my hand gently.

“I’m so sorry, honey. I should have trusted Edwin, but I didn’t...” I felt a tear trickle down my cheek, but I brushed it away quickly.

“Baby, stop it!” Edwin begged, tearing himself from the couch suddenly. I glanced up at him through irritated eyes.

Edwin looked so tired all of a sudden. I saw a single tear running down his cheek, but he didn’t bother to wipe it away. I stood up, pulling him into my arms. He held me tightly, weeping into my shoulder.

“Where did we go wrong?” he murmured, his body trembling. I bit my lip, trying not to bawl my eyes out in front of Avery.

“I don’t know, Eddy. But I love you so much,” I whispered, kissing him quickly.

“Then why can’t you leave Jasper for me? I love you, and I miss you to fucking death! You know that I do. I swear I’d make you feel like the princess you are. Just take me back!” he begged, refusing to let me go.

“Edwin, I can’t do that! I can’t just tell him, ‘Oh, sorry, I realized that I’d rather be with Edwin. Sorry, move on with your life, and have fun!’ What do you want from me?”

“Well, what if I knew something that would make you want to leave him?” he mumbled, pulling back to look at me.

“Like what?”

“Start the car.”