Baby, I Think I Love You

Your Favorite Picture Torn In Two

"Can I go break his face so he'll shut his mouth for once?" Edwin asked, sighing.

"He's just being pathetic. Ignore him, okay?" I begged, kissing him softly.

"Fine. But the guy needs a good kick in the teeth."

My suitcase was on the floor beside us, packed and ready. Edwin and I were sitting quietly on the bed while Jasper screamed--at the top of his lungs, might I add?--from the other side of the locked door. It almost made me laugh, but I still felt so betrayed and hurt.

I examined the ring on my finger, sighing. Edwin immediately tore it off, tossing it to the floor and kissing my forehead.

"Jade, sweetie, you and the kids can stay with me," he offered quietly, twiddling his thumbs in his lap. "I miss having you three around. I looked over at him, all of my energy drained. He smiled apologetically. "I'd be happy to sleep on the couch."

"Alright," I sighed, running a hand through my hair. "Could you get Avery and Monique to the car? I think I'll sneak out the window so I don't have to look at him."

"Be careful," he murmured, helping me stand up beside him. He walked me to the window, sliding it open.

"It's only one story."

"You could find a way to hurt yourself anyway," he teased, holding me again. "I love you." I smiled, kissing him quickly before snagging my luggage.

Edwin left me to my thoughts, locking the door behind him. I took one last look around Jasper's bedroom. Our wedding photo was taunting me from the wall, showing me just how happy together we used to be. That really killed me since the last few years we'd spent fighting.

I picked up my discarded ring and kissed it for the last time before placing it on the dresser. He could surely sell the diamond--or give it to the mother of his other child. I had to leave quickly, trying desperately not to let my tears fall to his carpet.

I was silent on the way home. Monique also refused to speak, probably because she was too busy pouting about Jasper. Avery and Edwin were the only ones talking, though they both kept trying to pull me into the conversation. I smiled a little: at least my two favorite men in the world were happy.

But I was miserable. I'd spent nearly a decade with that man only to find he hadn't been faithful for the entire time. I couldn't help but wonder how many times he had said he was going to work only when he had really been running home to the skank and their bastard child.

"Jade, babe, you're home," Edwin whispered, pulling the car door open and helping me out. He kissed my hand softly, giving me the cutest puppy-dog eyes I had ever seen.

Monique grumbled something under her breath before storming past us and into the house. Avery made faces behind her back before jumping into our hug.

"Mommy, are you and Jasper getting a divorce?" he asked quietly, snuggling into my stomach.

"Well, honey, Jasper was the one who ultimately made that choice when he slept with that bimbo. So yes, we are."

"And are you and Daddy getting back together?"

I looked up to Edwin. He looked just as eager to hear the answer as his son.

"Baby, we're going to need to talk about that."

"Monique just wants a man to be nice to you for once," Avery told me quietly, tearing himself from me and dashing into the house.

"That's all I want, too," Edwin told me, holding me tightly.

"Eddy, it's been a long day."

He smiled, scooping me up in his arms and carrying me inside.

"Then I suppose I won't try to put the moves on you. So we'll talk in the morning."

I passed out the second my head hit that pillow.