Baby, I Think I Love You

These Lips Need Medication

I awoke to the sound of muffled sobbing and a trembling body holding me close. I stayed still for a moment, trying to remember everything that had happened in one short day.

Jasper...

Yeah, so I was going to stay clear of that walking minefield for a few days. I knew I’d have to see him again eventually so I could divorce the pig.

Okay, so Jasper certainly wasn’t the man in bed with me—or he’d better hope he wasn’t or he’d be losing his manhood in about five seconds! So who was it that was crying into my hair? Well, it had better not be some hobo trying to get some...sympathy! Yeah, it’s not conversation anymore. I figured that would’ve been getting old.

Okay, so if I had said “get some...conversation!” would that have gotten more laughs? Hmm, you people are livelier than a sack of potatoes, eh?

“Dad, what’s wrong?”

I slammed my eyes shut upon hearing Avery’s small voice. The door clicked shut behind him, and Edwin immediately stopped crying.

“Nothing. I’m just waiting on Jade to wake up...so we can talk.” Edwin sighed, pulling himself from me. I almost pulled him back to me, but decided to see how he talked around his son. Sneaky? No!

“I thought guys dread when ladies say they need to talk,” Avery joked lightly, a smile in his voice.

“I am dreading this talk, Ave. I’m terrified, to be honest, but maybe this will turn out good. That’s all we can hope, right?”

“You really love Mom, huh?” he mumbled, the bed shifting beside me. I could feel the gazes on me.

“Yes, I do. Hear that, Jade? I love you super bunches!”

I smiled, sitting up and stretching. “I’m sorry, I just woke up!”

Edwin smirked, grabbing my hand and pulling me to him. Avery awkwardly stood up and sneaked out the door, knocking something over in the hallway. But that could wait.

“I suppose we really do need to talk, don’t we?” I murmured, resting my head on his shoulder as he rubbed my back softly.

“It would probably be best.” He kissed me softly.

“Eddy, what exactly needs to be said? Other than I’m sorry. And that you were right about Jasper, if that makes you happy.” Edwin scowled.

“I wish I had been wrong. Why would I want the love of my life to be miserable?”

“So I’d come back to you.”

“Are you coming back to me?”

“I don’t know.”

We were silent for a while. What exactly could I say? Yeah, he’d helped me find out that Jasper was a crook, but he had also hurt me so much a few years back. I know they say to forgive and forget, but you don’t forget being struck by the boy you love with all your heart. I still had some scars on top of that. No heartfelt apology would change how he’d acted. Edwin grimaced.

“I know I was a jackass. But I already promised you that it won’t happen again! You know that I’m a little overprotective, but I had reason to be afraid of losing you! It’d happened plenty of times. I just can’t risk it anymore!” He pulled me onto his lap, holding me tightly against him. I could hardly move!

“Edwin, please calm down!” I jerked myself from him, jumping to my feet on the floor. “I can’t just forget everything that you did to me. You hurt me so much. Not only did you beat me, but you sprinkled the insults on nicely, don’t you think?” I felt tears forming, but I refused to let them fall.

“Please,” he whispered, standing up and taking a single step towards me. I backed up, but thankfully he stood his ground. “I’m really, really sorry. The memories will haunt me for as long as I live. I just want a final chance. Please, Jade. If it doesn’t work out, I swear I’ll leave you alone and let you move on. Just one more chance. I—I love you so much, and I’ve never felt like this.” He looked like he was going to cry.

“Just let me think for a bit—alone.” I turned away from him, not able to look at him without crying. I could almost hear the desperation in every breath he took before striding up to me and kissing me urgently. I didn’t respond.

“Please, Jade. Just close your eyes and kiss me like it’s our last time. Because for all I know it could be.”

I started bawling then, but he reluctantly pulled himself away and out of the room. I heard him fall to the floor as he sobbed with his back to the door. I slid to the floor, resting against the wall.

Could I really give up on Edwin—for good?