Baby, I Think I Love You

Pity Me, Hate Me, Love Me: I Don't Care

“Not really, but do you really think she’d let me go? She has wanted me to be with Edwin ever since she met him. It’d kill her if she knew what I was doing,” I told him, running a hand through my hair. “It’s better this way.”

“Who are you trying to convince here?” Gage asked me, shaking his head. I frowned.

“I miss the old Gage! The man has brought you down,” I muttered, standing up. “Look, my plane is leaving in a half hour, so I have to go. I’ll see you—well, never.” I gave him a quick hug before darting out of the place.

So I’d lied. Who cares? That conservation had been going absolutely nowhere. I still had some extra time left to kill, so I thought about going to see Quinn—you know, to see her one last time. Unfortunately, Edwin’s car was in the driveway. I had no desire to face him for the things I’d said—well, written. Then I considered going to see Jasper, but his other family was there. I felt the divorce papers in his mailbox and headed for the bridge.

Whoa, that sounds bad! I wasn’t going to jump, so don’t look at me like that. I just, I don’t know to be honest. I felt like I should go back there since I’d never be there again. I could see myself regretting it in a few years if I skipped it.

So I sat on the edge, letting my legs dangle over the drop. It was hard imagining no longer seeing my friends here. Starting your life over isn’t as refreshing as I’d hoped it would be. That was probably because my heart would stay in Seattle—with Edwin (even if he didn’t know it), Quinn and my babies. But staying would only ruin things in the end. I checked my phone for the time.

“Shit!” I hissed, jumping into my car. I was going to be late! I sped down the road, praying for a miracle.

And I heard the siren of a police car. That wasn’t the miracle I had wanted! Oh, and to make this worse, I didn’t even have enough gas to make it to the airport. I groaned, pulling over.

“Mind telling me where the fire is, miss?” he asked me as I rolled down the window.

“I’m going to miss my flight. Can we make this quick?” I hissed, impatient.

“I’m just going to need your license and registration.”

Oh, shit! I banged my head into the wheel, making the horn go off. I sighed, stepping out of the car.

“What are you doing?” he asked as I pulled my suitcase out of the car.

“I really need to get going,” I whispered in his ear, seduction in my voice. I smirked as his eyes glazed over. “Could you get a hold of Edwin Kaiser and give him the car, please?”

“S-sure,” he stuttered, face bright red. “I’ll do that.”

“Thanks, you’re a doll.”

I pulled myself from him and made a mad dash for the airport. I was really going to make it! I was going to actually be on time! I ran inside and up to the counter, handing her my ticket.

“Oh, I’m so sorry—it just left!” I stared at her. “I can call it back if you really need—”

“No, no. I guess it just wasn’t mean to be,” I muttered, making the long walk back. I couldn’t exactly afford a plane ticket...

Just what do I do now?