Baby, I Think I Love You

Honey, You're Just A Little Stupid

“Could you hurry up?” Jasper hissed in my ear, pushing me out of the kitchen.

“I’m sorry I’m not as fast as a mountain goat! Now, what is it?” I growled back, glaring at him as he closed the kitchen door behind us.

“Can’t you find something else to do?” he begged, sighing. I looked at him, hurt.

“I’m embarrassing you?”

“Jade, you jabbed his wife’s stomach with your finger and asked, ‘So when are you due? You sure are getting pudgy!’”

“So? It should be a compliment!” I argued, crossing my arms and letting out a small hmph!

“She’s not pregnant!” I glanced at him, pouting. He put his hands on my shoulders, begging. “Look, I’ll spend time with you after they leave, alright? Please, this is a big case. I don’t want you ruining this, baby.”

“Well, fuck you, too!” I snapped, tearing myself from him. “Whatever. Be a douche—see if I care!”

“Don’t be like this! Babe, look, I promise we’ll cuddle all night. Just please go find something else to do.”

“Fine,” I growled. But I had to get back at him. I ran back into the kitchen and screamed, “Good lord, someone please call the doctor! Her water just broke!”

Jasper threw me out of the kitchen and I laughed like a maniac when I heard shrieks and the door locking. I could vaguely hear the sound of Jasper’s lips kissing his client’s ass!

“Such a baby,” I mumbled, trudging up the stairs. I might as well check on Spike. “She still didn’t let you out?” I asked him, shaking my head. I reached into his cage and pulled the albino hedgehog out. He glanced around through wide eyes for a bit before relaxing. “I don’t embarrass you, do I?” I put him in his enclosed playpen, sitting down and watching as he ran around.

I sighed, falling backwards so I was lying on the floor. How was I supposed to know that the lady was just a lard-ass, not pregnant? She was glowing, after all! Oh, but that had only been when she had picked up her fork.

“Goddamn!” I hissed, muttering curses under my breath. That lady should have just gone on a diet and this wouldn’t have even happened, but no—I just had to be the bad guy.

Spike nudged at the small fence, making the cutest little noise I had ever heard.

“At least you love me,” I murmured, scooping him up. I dropped some of his treats on the floor and he ate them almost half as fast as that fat woman had devoured my dinner.

I sat up there for probably an hour before I heard the front door slam shut downstairs. I hardly had the chance to breathe again before Jasper was suddenly in front of me, glaring at me as if he had hated me his entire life. Spike immediately rolled into a ball, his spikes protruding menacingly, just daring Jasper to step any closer.

“Why the fuck did you have to fucking do that?” he demanded, jerking me to my feet. “What the hell did I ever do to you other than give you and your kids a home? Huh? Did I ever utterly humiliate you?”

“Well, thank you for painting that picture with your shiny words,” I mumbled, pushing him off of me. “You called me a burden!”

“You’re putting words in my mouth again! You always do this!” He stepped up to me, but I shook my head, backing away.

“You’re always an asshole!” I screamed, shoving him away as he got even closer.

“You always start these pointless fights!”

“It’s therapy!”

“I don’t need therapy! God! Stop being such a fucking bint!” I shut up, not believing what I was hearing.

“So I’m a bint now?”

Aside from when we were joking around, he had only said that once to me: when we had broken up. I bit my lower lip as it started to tremble.

“Jade, wait. No, I didn’t mean that,” he breathed, his voice less than a whisper. I shook my head, smacking his hand away when he reached out.

“No. No, no, no.” I took in a shaky breath. “I think I should go.”

“Baby, no! Please, I’m sorry! I was just mad!”

“I’m going to spend the night at Quinn’s. I just... I just can’t look at you right now,” I told him, trying not to cry.

“Okay,” he murmured, sounding as desperate as myself. “I love you.”

I told him I’d be back tomorrow. I just hoped Quinn wouldn’t mind having me.