Status: You all should check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJH6hCoQqNA&feature=player_embedded

You Belong With Me

I Want To Fall So In Love With You And No One Else

Taylor's P.O.V.

Things didn't get much better after that. As I thought about the things I had said to Alex earlier that day, I realized that maybe he was right. I had no right to tell him who he could go to prom with. After all, he asked me first and I had to turn him down. If he really wanted to go to prom with Katelyn, then I wouldn't stop him. It wasn't fair of me to expect that he didn't have a date and it wasn't fair of me to turn him down and then change my mind once I didn't have a date anymore. How selfish was I?

Later that night, I went over to Alex's to tell him that I was sorry. He basically told me the same thing he said this afternoon; he wished he could go with me, but he can't just turn on Katelyn. For some odd reason, I admired him for that. He made a promise to someone and, as much as he may have wanted to, he refused to back out of it. Whenever that boy makes a promise to anyone, he makes damn sure to keep it. I just wish I was the someone he made that promise to.

Nothing of too much consequence happened over the next month and a half. I finished recording my first album, which was a huge relief. That crazy recording schedule was really starting to take its toll on me. Occasionally, I had to go back into the studio and track some new vocals for editing purposes, but that was no big deal. For the most part, life was normal again.

Alex and I had gone back to carpooling together since All Time Low finished recording around the same time as I did. It was nice to have that extra time with him again. I can't tell you how much I've missed it. Sometimes, we would even pick a house and just spend the rest of the day and night there doing anything ranging from homework to watching movies to playing video games (just because I'm a girl doesn't mean I can't beat anybody's ass at Halo) to writing songs together. Things were great between us, awesome even, but every time I looked at him, I was reminded that I still couldn't have him the way I wanted him.

After a lot of thought, I came to the conclusion that, if I couldn't go to prom with Alex, then I didn't want to go at all. I didn't want to have a date that was second best. If I couldn't have the time of my life at prom, then it wasn't worth it. I wouldn't be happy if I went with anyone else and it wouldn't be fair to my date. I decided to just sit back and listen as everyone else talked about what they were going to do for prom.

Now it was May 27th, the day before prom and the whole school was abuzz with excitement and speculation about what the night was going to be like. I sighed as I walked down the hallway to my locker at the end of the day. While everyone else would be at prom tomorrow night, I would be at home studying for a calculus test next week. Even though I didn't really have to worry about grades any more, I still wanted to graduate with the highest of honors.

Just as I opened my locker, I felt my phone buzz in my pocket, so I took it out and read the text message I had just received. I smiled when I saw it was from Kara.

Hey, you! it said. What are you up to this afternoon?

Nothing, why? I responded. What's up?

Not even a minute later, I got a text back. I need to run to the mall to pick some last minute stuff up for prom, it said. Do you want to come with me?

Sure, sounds great, I responded.

Two seconds later, I got another text. Meet me at the front entrance in five minutes.

As soon as I read it, I slammed my locker shut and walked over to Alex's.

“Hey,” I said when I got there. “I just wanted to let you know that I am going to the mall with Kara, so I won't be riding home with you today.”

“Ok,” he nodded. “Have a good time. Jack and I are going to pick up our corsages later, but maybe we'll run to the mall too.”

“Oh well then I hope you two have fun also. Tell Jack I said hi for me.” I turned around to leave, but I heard him call my name a few seconds later. “Hey, Taylor?”

“Yeah?” I asked, turning back around to face him.

“I'll miss you,” he said smiling at me.

And that's when my stomach started doing back flips.
_______________________________________________________________________

Half an hour later, I found myself walking through Towson Center Mall beside my very best girlfriend. It had been awhile since Kara and I had really hung out and I really missed her.

“Thanks for asking me to come with you,” I said to her. “I really needed this.”

“You know I wouldn't think of asking anyone else. Thanks for being here to help me with all this stuff. I just wish that we could be doing this for you too.”

“Yeah,” I sighed. “Me too.”

“Well then what are we doing? You already have a dress. All you need now is some jewelry. It's not too late to go, Taylor.”

I shook my head. “No, I can't. I don't want to go without Alex. The whole time I would just be looking at him with Katelyn and it would hurt. I don't want to put myself through that.”

“But, if you go, you could make him eat his heart out. He would see just how beautiful you look and realize what he's missing,” she insisted.

“That would happen in a fantasy world, but not reality.”

“Don't be so pessimistic,” she chided me. “You never know what could happen.”

“That's true, but I don't want to go alone and watch him dance with her the whole night.”

“But you won't be with just him. You'll have me, Rian, Jack, Zack, and his date and other people I'm sure.”

“I know, but it wouldn't be the same.”

“I just don't see why you have to let him ruin this for you. It's your night just as much as it is his.”

“I've always had this fantasy in my head that prom would be one of the best nights of my life. If I can't go with him, then it won't be. If I'm going to pay so much money for a ticket, a dress, a limo, and God knows what else, it had better be worth it. Without him, it wouldn't be, at least not for me.”

“If you want to be with him so much, then why don't you fight for him?”

“Because I already fought for him last fall and I failed. He didn't feel the same way about me and I was completely heartbroken. I can't put myself out there like that again, especially if his feelings haven't changed. I would rather have him as a friend than nothing at all, but if he breaks my heart like that again, I don't think I'll be able to get past it.”

Kara just looked at me and sighed. “It's your funeral,” she said as we continued to walk. She decided that she wanted to go to Macy's to pick out some jewelry to go with her dress. She asked for my opinion on some of the pieces and I gladly gave it to her. We didn't talk about Alex and I anymore, which was a relief because I really needed to get my mind off everything. After that, it was just a fun girls' day at the mall.

Alex's P.O.V.

After Taylor told me that she was going to the mall with Kara, I was a little disappointed. Prom weekend was about to be upon us, which meant that I wouldn't get to see her that much since I wasn't going with her. I really wanted to spend that time with her before the weekend came because I thought I wouldn't get to see her much after. Maybe it was selfish of me, but I wanted to see her as much as possible.

After I watched Taylor leave, I sighed and took out my phone.

Hey, do you want to go pick up the corsages now instead of later? I texted Jack.

Sure, dude, sounds good, was Jack's response.

I followed him to his house so that he could drop his car off. Then, he hopped into mine and we set off for the florist. A few minutes later, I turned into the parking lot and we walked in and bought our corsages.

“Where's Taylor?” he asked after we got back in the car.

“She went to the mall with Kara.”

“She must be feeling pretty sucky now that prom is actually here.”

“What do you mean?”

“She has to sit around and listen while everyone else talks about how excited they are about it and yet she doesn't even have a date.”

“I know what you mean. I feel really bad because she told me that her parents said they wouldn't let her go if she didn't have a date, so now she has to miss out on it.”

“I shouldn't have just changed my mind on her like that. I probably really screwed her over.”

“And I shouldn't have asked Katelyn to go with me before I saw her that day.”

“You couldn't have known that that I wasn't going with her anymore.”

“Yeah, but still. I just wish I was going with her instead of Katelyn. I would have a much better time with her. Now she's going to be sitting home while we're all out at prom.”

“Maybe you shouldn't go with Katelyn then,” Jack said. Even though I was looking at the road in front of me, I could feel Jack's stare boring into me.

“What do you mean? I can't just drop Katelyn last minute. That's pretty cold-hearted.”

“But, dude, you don't owe her anything. She stomped all over you.”

“Yeah, but if I back out on her, that makes me just as bad as she was. I don't want to be the guy that backs out on her if she really is changing. She knows that we can only ever be friends and she's ok with it. I told her that if she tries anything weird then I'm out and she agreed.”

“You don't have to be the hero though. You don't have to be the one that changes her.”

“I'm not trying to be, but I don't think it would be right if I backed down on her.”

“So let me get this straight. You love Taylor, but you don't want to back out on Katelyn.”

“Pretty much, yeah.”

“Even if that means that Taylor has to have a miserable night while we are all at prom?”

That one simple question stopped me in my tracks. I was going to go to prom with another girl, while my best friend, the girl I loved, was going to be alone.

“I'm a terrible person,” I responded.

Jack let out a long sigh. “Look, Alex, you aren't a terrible person, ok? You're trying to have your cake and eat it too, which isn't quite possible.”

“I don't think I can have a good time unless she is there though. I just wish there was a way to make everyone happy.”

Jack was silent for a minute. It appeared that this was one of those rare occasions where he was seriously thinking about something. “What's on your mind?” I finally asked him.

“I have an idea,” he said slowly, still trying to work out the kinks in his head.

“Uh oh! Sound the alarms! Jack has an idea,” I joked. “What does this so-called idea consist of?”

“You'll see,” he said mysteriously. “Drop me off at my house please.”

I did as he asked, but he refused to tell me anything more about his idea. To be honest, that scared me a little bit because his last idea almost got us arrested. It's a good thing we were able to convince the cops that we were, in fact, 21 years of age. I guess I will just have to wait and see...

Taylor's P.O.V.

Kara and I had just finished picking out a beautiful pearl necklace that went with her dress when I got a text message from Jack.

Hey, are you home? it read.

No, but I will be soon, I responded. What's up?

I need to see you. What time do you think you'll be home? he asked.

Kara and I are almost done here, so I can probably be home in about half an hour.

He immediately responded with a text that said, Ok then I will meet you at your house in half an hour.

I shut my phone with a confused frown. “Huh. That was weird.”

“What's wrong?” asked Kara as we walked out of the store.

“Jack just texted me. He said he needs to see me right away.”

“Why?”

“I have absolutely no idea. He wants to meet me at my house in half an hour. It sounds kind of urgent almost.”

“That's odd. Do you have any idea what it could be about?”

“Nope,” I said. “I have no idea what he wants.”
_______________________________________________________________________

Twenty-five minutes later, I thanked Kara again for taking me with her. As she pulled up to my house, I was surprised to see that Jack's car was already parked in the front and he was sitting on the bench on the front porch waiting for me.

“Well I guess someone is a little impatient,” said Kara as she waved to Jack from the driver's seat. “You'll have to call me later and tell me what he says.”

“Ok,” I said as I got out of the car. “Will do. If I don't see you tomorrow, I hope you have a great time at prom.”

“Thanks,” she responded. “I really wish you were coming.”

“Me too,” I said. “I'll see you later.” I shut the car door and waved as she drove away. Then, I walked up to the front door and let both Jack and myself into my house.

“So what was so urgent that you had to see me right away?” I asked as we sat down on the couch.

“I need to talk to you about Alex.”

“What about him.”

“He loves you.”

“I know. We've been best friends our whole lives.”

“No, Taylor, you don't get it. He's in love with you.”

When Jack said that, my breath caught in my throat and I almost couldn't believe my ears. “H-how do you know?”

“It's written all over his face every single time he lays eyes on you. Plus, he told me. Why do you think we had that huge fight? I found out that he kissed you and got mad and he was pissed at me for asking you to prom. Just today he told me that he couldn't have a good time at prom unless you were there with him. He even told me once that if I was the one that made you happy, he would support you, even though it would kill him. He loves you so much.”

“Why doesn't he tell me that himself then?” At this point, I was so overwhelmed that I was seriously having trouble breathing.

“Because he's a big fat chicken. He doesn't think you still feel the same way about him as you used to and he doesn't want to ruin the friendship in case you don't feel the same way.” Suddenly, he stopped and looked me straight in the eye. “You do still love him, don't you?”

“Yes, of course I do,” I responded. “What do you think I should do?”

“Do you still have your prom dress?” he asked.

I nodded. “It's upstairs in my closet. What are you getting at?”

“I think I have a plan,” he said.

He proceeded to tell me every little detail this plan consisted of and I personally thought it was brilliant, which is surprising because usually Jack isn't this creative. Awhile later, we had everything all worked out, so he left. After that, I went upstairs and made sure my curtains were closed so that Alex would not be able to see into my room. Then, I walked over to my closet and got out my beautiful white prom dress and smoothed it out on my bed. I could do nothing but smile; I was so glad that I would be able to wear this dress after all.

A few minutes later, I took my cell phone out of my pocket and called Kara.

“Hello?” came her voice on the other line.

“Hey,” I said. “I need your help.”
♠ ♠ ♠
In celebration of this story now having 101 subscribers, here is another update! I never imagined this story would reach that many people, so thank you guys so much!

Sorry for switching points of view so much! I just wanted to make sure I could fit everything I needed to in this chapter. Next chapter will be the beginning of the prom festivities and quite possibly one of the longest chapters if I include everything I want to include in it. I'm so excited! Btw, major brownie points go out to Jack for his brilliant plan. I can't wait for you guys to find out what it is.