Sequel: When Love Clocked In

As the Piano Keys Rang

The Organ Store's Rhodes Electric

The next morning did come. And the next and the next. The days blended into each other. Every morning, Ryan would pick up Brendon. Every afternoon, he would drop him off.

Finally, the week was coming to an end. Brendon was enjoying his first Friday at Palo Verde. There was not a thing that could keep him tied to the ground. He rolled through the day almost oblivious to the fact that he was suppost to be learning. All he could wait for was his ride home with Ryan. There, he’d be free to listen to loud Blink-182 songs and shout jokes and commentary while Ryan just smiled and kept aware of his surroundings in traffic.

He fled to the parking lot after school. He approached Ryan’s car only to be greeted by Spencer. “Hey. Long time, no see,” Spencer joked, even though he had seen him in second block.

“Hey. What’s up? Where’s Ryan?” he asked trying not to sound desperate.

“Oh, he had to go pick up something from his economics teacher. We are going to the mall, if that’s alright with you,” Spencer flipped his hair out of his face.

“Yeah, that’s cool,” Brendon said, even though he knew he’d have to explain his lateness when he got home. He put his bag on the car hood and waited in the cool fall breeze. The smell of sand and smog was heavy in the air. He crossed his arms over his chest.

It wasn’t more than two minutes before Ryan had showed up. The parking lot was almost empty from the rush to start enjoying the weekend. “Hey, guys. So kind of you to wait up for me,” Ryan said carrying a mess of papers.

“Oh, the pleasure is ours. Now get your ass in the car,” Spencer joked around and jumped into the passenger seat.

Defeated and gulled, Brendon sat behind Spencer. He was still able to watch Ryan’s profile as he twisted his head around while driving. His expression was alert to what was around him but completely blind to Brendon, sitting in the backseat.

They made a few twist and turns and Brendon looked curiously out the window trying to place himself in his new area. It was only about five minutes before the trio pulled into the mall’s lot. They parked in the large parking structure that bridged between the mall’s sectors. They got out of the car and began walking towards the large glass doors of the mall.

Time flew by in the mall. They went into, what seemed every store. They tried on clothes they didn’t plan to buy and made jokes about all the crazy things for sale. They made their way towards the food court, hitting every place on the way. They were almost there when Ryan pulled them into the Vans store.

“What do you need here, Ryan?” Spencer asked looking around at the multitude of stylish clothes.

“I needed some new jeans. I am just gonna try a pair or two on,” he scanned the wall of denim that filled the left side of the store.

“Hurry up. I’m starving,” Spencer said taking a seat near a rack of sweatshirts.

Ryan grabbed a few cuts and went to the dressing room. Brendon stood admiring the shoes and looking down at his tired black Vans. Maybe it was time to get a new pair.

“Brendon!” he heard his name being shout. He turned towards the back of the store and saw Ryan peeking his head out of the dressing room, waving for him to come closer. His mind went numb, but his feet thought for him. They took long strides until they were at the door of the room. Ryan opened it wide, so that Brendon could see inside. “What about these ones?”

The denim was a dark wash that went down slightly past Ryan’s delicate ankles. They hugged his skinny legs tightly, but not too tightly. Brendon’s mouth was slightly ajar and he had to look at his own ridiculous reflection in order to remember he was asked a question. “Yeah. They look fine. What’s the problem?” he waved his hand through his hair and let it rest on the bend of his neck.

“I think they make me look like I have no ass,” Ryan turned his back towards the mirror, checking his own reflection out.

“I wasn’t aware that you had an ass,” Brendon giggled.

“I wasn’t aware you were looking,” Ryan raised his eyebrows and looked at Brendon through the mirror.

“Oh, you’re funny,” Brendon said sarcastically, crossing his arms against his chest.

“Well, I guess I’ll get them, then,” Ryan said.

“Okay. Well, hurry up cause I think Spencer is about to open fire on this store if he doesn’t get something to eat,” Brendon shut the door to the dressing room and walked off towards where Spencer sat.

Ryan paid for his new pants and the three of them headed closer to the food court. The neon signs of the different fast food chains flashed. “Okay, where should we eat?” Spencer asked turning to Ryan and Brendon. “Where’d Brendon go?”

The two of them began turning their heads around in an attempt to catch their lost friend. Ryan sighed, “I really should have remembered that.”

“What?” Spencer asked pointing his face in the same direction as Ryan.

Ryan’s eyes were locked on the one store that separated them from the food court. The organ store. Brendon was walking zombie-like through the store’s entrance. “Come on,” Ryan and Spencer followed him in. By the time they had made it in there, Brendon had found something he liked. He was sitting, slightly slouched, over an electric piano. “I think we lost him,” Ryan said to Spencer as they approached Brendon and his find.

“Okay. Well, I am going to get some food. Brendon, do you want anything?” Spencer pointed his fingers towards the exit.

“Uh, no, I can eat when I get home,” Brendon said running his fingers over the keys.

“Ryan?” Spencer asked.

“No, I’ll stay here. Just get me whatever and I’ll pay you back,” he sat down on the edge of the piano bench next to Brendon.

Spencer sighed, “Okay. I’ll be back in a few.”

“Do you mind if I sit here?” Ryan asked Brendon as he turned to face the keys.

“Not if you don’t mind me zoning out for awhile,” Brendon said, still not lifting his eyes from the keys.

“Not at all,” Ryan rested an elbow on the end of the piano.

Then, Brendon was gone. He completely let himself drown in the keys and didn’t come up for air until Spencer was back with a bag full of Taco Bell.

“Let’s get out of here. It’s almost nine thirty,” Spencer took a sip of his drink and jerked his head towards the exit.

The three of them got in the car, in the same formation as before, and began to drive. Spencer lived around the corner, by the school. Brendon just looked out the window, still thinking about the music in his mind. He couldn’t recall what he was playing again and it was starting to get on his nerves.

Spencer got dropped off and Brendon was promoted to the passenger seat as they made their way back to the neighborhood. The ride was silent for awhile until Ryan spoke. “You were playing the same piece as you were the other day in your house.”

Brendon turned towards him, “Was it any good?”

Ryan laughed, “Of course. Anything you play is great.”

Brendon smiled and sat up a little taller in the bucket seat. They kept the silence, again, until they reached Brendon’s house. “Thanks for the ride. I’ll see you Monday.”

“What’s your number? Maybe we can hang out sometime this weekend,” Ryan got out his phone from his pocket.

Brendon told him the digits before running back into his house. He had forgotten about his parents until now.

“Honey! Where have you been?” his mom ran up as soon as the door shut.

“Sorry I didn’t call. I just went to the mall with some friends.”

“Well, you know we don’t mind you hanging out with them. Just make sure to call us next time!” Brendon’s mother slapped his arm semi-playfully.

“Okay, Okay,” Brendon said before heading up the stairs to his room. He took his shoes off and just lied in bed, staring up at the ceiling.

Of course. Anything you play is great. Brendon ran the compliment again through his head. He smiled.

Thinking quickly, he pulled his phone out and set it directly next to him on the bedside table. He watched it until his eyelids couldn’t hold anymore, until he was dead asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know this chapter sucks majorly, but I'm just trying to add little parts so that I can get to the fun parts. (the love and the drama :D)

Please comment and subscribe because I add a new chapter daily and I need your support.