Audio

Kay

An awkward silence followed her question. Darren shuffled nervously on his aching feet; he had to have an answer this time. An answer for his acts. Something to cover his tracks that would lead you to something horrific- that being his past. The older girl kept her penetrating eyes on Darren and his heart leap in his chest. She adjusted her grip on the mutant before lowering her gaze slightly; all that left to look at was an empty space. Darren hated it when she did this.

”Look I can explain. I didn’t even plan this.” After that the room fell back into its original silence. The older girl just stared at him. A gentle, peaceful wind found its path throughout the house just then sending the girl’s hair off on a wild ride of its own. Her eyes glazed in the dim afternoon light as Darren tried to think up an explainable answer. Footsteps paced backward and forward in front of her; all the while she petted the mutant’s head in a comforting fashion. The room remained silent until the girl made a movement. It was a simple cup around her ear; saying ‘I can’t hear you, remember?’ Darren slapped his face as he suddenly remembered that this girl was and had been unable to hear for the majority of her life. The sad truth stung Darren’s mind as he suddenly hated the fact that he hadn’t realised before hand. Time stood still in-between the pastel coloured walls of that room; the home of two friends and a mutant. The older girl made circular motions with her forefinger, telling Darren to continue. He paused briefly before carrying on, this time he used sign language.

Darren repeated himself with two quick signs. The girl watched him intently, stroked a piece of fluffy white hair out of her eyes before replying with expert speed. She could have just spoken her reply but she preferred to keep the conversation type the same and used signs too.

“You didn’t plan it? Then why did you just walk out on Kay and me like you did?” Darren licked his lips before clasping his hands in a sudden defeat. She’d caught him out; off guard. He hated it when that happened, which it always did. His throat tightened as he gave her another answer.

“Look Audio I didn’t have a choice. It was then or never. I wanted to take a chance.” His hands were quick to reply. Audio stared at him; making him shiver in delight in the process. She seemed doubtful, Darren knew she wouldn’t believe him; she was stubborn in that way.

“Darren, I’m your best friend. Companion. You don’t just walk out, ditch, a best friend without a valid reason. Yes, you may have not had a choice in the matter but you could have told Kay or me that you needed to leave for a matter of years. We both really worried about you.” Her hand hovered carefully above Kay’s head at that moment. Darren didn’t know what to say or do; Audio was clever with her words. Too clever. Kay shuffled uncomfortably before gently pushing Audio away and standing in front of Darren. Her head only reached his chest but her horns reached his chin; she really looked quite scary. Kay was the youngest out of the gang; she was the shortest, quietest and the smartest. Even smarter than her sister Audio, which was incredibly hard to be.

“You walked out on us, as Audio said. There is no explanation needed there, is there? You wanted to start fresh, to try and fit in, but you came back because you knew that people wouldn’t accept you simply because they knew you were a Deviser like Audio and I. We’re naturally different Darren, accept the fact that you don’t fit in with this world, we were never meant to be and we never will. We’re failures to society but we succeed in our own ways. I’m younger than you, Darren, yet I’ve already realised that Devisers are scum; unwanted humans. I find it ironic that you are older and still refuse to face the horrifying truth that surrounds us at this moment in time.” Kay stood in her satisfied silence as Darren stared at her blankly whilst he fiddled with his studded belt. Kay ignored his blank looks and walked past him in a disappointed silence. Audio let her gaze fall quizzically on her friend; slowly raising one eyebrow in curiosity to his opinion on Kay’s rant. She knew what he would say in response.

“She’s right.” Darren’s bottom lip quivered. “I fail to realise that my life’s pointless. That I’m just another part of this clan they call Devisers.” He turned to face Audio. “Why can’t I do it Audio? Why do I refuse to follow the path that God set me on? I don’t understand.” Audio’s expression darkened as she turned her head towards the shadowy doorway to her right. She hadn’t heard him; she knew what he had said by simply reading his emotional state. Audio had the incredible ability to do that; very similar to mind reading only harder to do. She had trained herself to, amazingly, see signs in which people started to show when they were about to say something in particular. On many occasions she would be wrong but other times she was spot on, the result varied depending on her mood. Very confusing work that only Audio and Kay fully understood. After some thought, Audio ventured through the dark doorway beside her; Darren following her full of curiosity.

Beyond the door was Audio’s study; decorated to the theme of Carnivals. Audio sauntered into the corner of the room, carefully picking up a top hat and coat on her way. Crystal chandeliers hung solidly from various parts of the ceiling; bookcases surrounded the two friends making the room seem much smaller than it really was; Persian patterns coated the floor and Egyptian cotton blankets lay on a luxury double mattress that lay on the floor. The room looked exactly like a Fortune Tellers tent. The 14-year-old girl slid into the middle of the room to stand in front of Darren. He hadn’t even realised that Audio had disappeared to get changed; her attire was now made up of a fresh coat of white powder on her face, a long, tailed waistcoat, a red rimmed top hat, a pressed white blouse paired with a flamboyant, black skirt. Around her neck was tied a red plaid bowtie; on her hands a pair of silk, white gloves. Audio had given the room the finishing touch, although it was all too cliché.

Darren gave Audio an uncertain look but she simply smiled at his signs of nervousness. A shudder ran up Darren’s spin as Audio swept past him in a spinning motion; she landed softly on the mattress. She kept that smile planted on her face even though after a few minutes a girl a bit older than Kay ventured into Audio’s study crying. The oldest girl wrapped her arms around the girl; carefully lifting her chin to read what was wrong. A quick nod dismissed further curiosity as Audio gently grabbed the girl’s head and hugged her. Darren stared at the beautiful relationship that bloomed between the two girls then Audio shot him a look so deadly it could have killed him right there and then. She’d reminded him cautiously that staring was rude and something that he should refrain from doing. Audio, then, gently lifted up the sobbing girl’s head.

“Keeta, what happened? I can’t see any signs of injury or tragedy.” Keeta blinked a few times; ridding her eyes of the poisonous tears that they bled. Her hands were shaking and both Darren and Audio could tell she was finding it hard to tell Audio what had happened. Keeta trembled and her legs buckled quickly underneath her but Audio caught her effortlessly and sat her friend onto her left leg. Audio stared into Keeta’s eyes and held her gaze for at least 5 minutes; she checked every corner of her young friend’s face before letting go of her gently. Keeta coughed slightly before performing several signals that Audio sighed at. Her younger friend had delivered some sad news that brought all three of them back into the past. Audio lifted herself out of her chair and made her way out of her study quietly; she knew exactly what to do. She quickly dressed Keeta in a black leather coat and boots, handed Darren his long detective-like jacket before shuffling carelessly into her own attire made up of tailed red ringmaster coat, buttoned only at the top. She opened the door without hesitation and stepped out with her two companions following her.

“Darren you go south, Keeta go east, I’ll go west. Use these walkie talkies if you find anything, okay?” Both of them nodded in agreement before wandering off towards their set areas. Audio breathed softly before setting of west.

“I will find her.”
♠ ♠ ♠
This took ages, i'm sorry D: