Our Truth

Down Town Hollywood.

"Taxi!"

"Don't they call them 'cabs' here?"

"I don't think shouting 'cab' would be a good idea, besides, haven't you seen any American films where they shout 'taxi' and not 'cab', huh?"

"You watch way too much television."

"Whatever," I replied, rolling my eyes and shouting once again. "Taxi!"

Seeing a piece of yellow metal contraption coming to a halt in front of me, I grinned triumphantly. My sister rolled her eyes and handed the taxi driver a piece of paper with our address on it whilst I threw our suitcases in the trunk. Climbing in the back, beside my sister, the taxi began to move. It wasn't long until the curiosity got the better of our driver.

"So you're from England, huh?"

"Yep, we are." I answered, my broad British accent coming out perfectly.

"Awesome," said the driver, nodding his head. The guy was only young. Twenty five - twenty six, maybe? "What brings you girls to Hollywood?"

"We've just moved here," my sister tells him. A smile danced on her face as her eyes lit with excitement. "Me and my sister needed a change of scenery, ya know, a new beginning."

"And what a place to start fresh." The driver began to chuckle deeply. "Downtown Hollywood will be a place you'll never forget," he also adds, then pulled the taxi over. "That'll be fifteen bucks ladies."

Deciding to let his comment slide, Georgie and myself got out of the taxi and retrieved our luggage from the trunk. Turning on our heals, we looked up at building that didn't look too shabby, but it also didn't look too great either. Opening the door, we peered our heads in and saw that down stairs of the building had a small foyer. Walking in with our suitcases, we came to a halt at a medium sized round table in the middle of the foyer. A white envelope laid neatly with mine and my sisters names written on it.

Reading through it, it told us to go to apartment 1A. There we could meet our land lady and get our keys to our apartment. Shoving the letter in my hand bag, I left my sister at the foyer as I went and knocked on the door to apartment 1A. It was too long until I got an answer. Soon as I was about to do the third knock, the door flew open. There stood a middle-aged woman, around the age of fifty two. Her hair was gray, short and curly and her withered faced showed the softest of smiles.

"Welcome dear, where is your sister?"

"In the foyer, I'm Sarah."

"Lovely to meet you, sweetheart, I'm Audrey." Audrey then walked past me and went over to my sister. "You must be Georgie then?"

"That's correct," My sister chuckled. "Its nice to meet you, Audrey. Are you our land lady?"

"I am, dear." Audrey chuckled, then turned towards the stairs. "Would you girls like to follow me, please?"

Quickly grabbing our suitcases, Georgie and myself headed up the stairs after Audrey. We did question about the elevator, but it wasn't getting fixed until next week and the worst came next. This apartment building had six levels to it and once we got to the third floor, Audrey said, "Oh, only three more levels to go." Yeah, we're on the top floor. I swear they better make that elevator work by next week or I'm going to die. I don't do stairs, unless I really have to use them. But throughout our little journey up the stairs, Audrey explained all the rules and regulations.

"...and thats about it," she finished. "Do you have any questions at all?"

"I just have one question," I said, coming to a halt behind her. Audrey faced me, her smile still on her lips. "What are our neighbors like? On this floor, though."

"You only have one," Audrey chuckled, turning back round and opened the door to apartment 6C. Mine and my sisters apartment. "He's a young fellow, early twenties, like you girls."

Nodding my head, I walked in after her and my sister followed me. I stared at the apartment in awe. This place is bigger than our last pad and cheaper too. I think living here won't be that bad after all. Our boxes were piled everywhere and our furniture were placed in odds parts of the apartment. The movers must have got my note. I didn't want them arranging where everything went. This is Georgie's and my new home. We want to be the one's to arrange everything and finally make this place out own.

"Right," said Audrey, giving a key to each me and my sister. "I need to go back down stairs to my husband. If you lose a key, pay and get one copied. Its your responsibility, so I won't be paying for it."

"Oh, totally understandable." My sister said, laughing nervously. "We wouldn't expect you to do that."

"Thats nice to here," Audrey smiled. "The last three girls who lived here expected me to do everything for them. Came from Beverly Hills, they did. Spoiled little girls, they were."

Chuckling softly, I added, "Trust me, we're not like that. We've been on our own since we were eighteen years old and before that, foster care. We've been brought up good and proper, knowing the values on life and money."

"I like you girls already," Audrey laughed with delight, her pale cheeks turning a slight shade of pink. "I will see you girls around."

With that said, Audrey disappeared out of our apartment. Georgie and I looked at each other and squealed with delight. We ran to our rooms and got our stuff unpacked. One thing that made my bedroom totally fucking awesome, were a pair of spiral iron steps that were in the corner near the window. Walking up them, my head was a few inches away from the ceiling until I noticed a latch. Opening it, I pushed it over and walked onto the roof of the apartment building and took in the full beauty of down town Hollywood.

"Georgie!"

I began to laugh after I heard my sister scream 'Ow' just after I heard something fall and bang. "What the fuck, Sarah? Where are you?"

"Up here."

"Dude, you have to be fucking kidding me?" Looking over my shoulder, my sister walked out onto the roof and stood beside me. "Why do you always get the cool room?"

"Fuck off," I laughed, nudging her shoulder. "Our apartment in London, you got the balcony."

"True," Georgie grinned, then looked back out to stare at down town Hollywood. "Wow...this view is absolutely amazing."

"You're telling me," I replied, watching as the sun was half way down the horizon. Orange's, yellow's and pink's shadowed around building's, making them look black. It almost looked like a perfect painting of a sun set.