Status: On hold for now.

Devil's Work

Frank’s Sunrise

The fading moon shines its light into the Iero-Way household, but Frank is still awake.

He’s excited that his mother will get to finally meet his first child. He’s been unable to sleep all night, thinking of his mother’s reactions. He is also a little scared, because he’s never introduced a child to his mother before. He never wanted it to be this way, but it had to be. Frank obviously couldn’t have a biological baby with Gerard, since they were both men.

He paces through the kitchen. Then he starts counting his laps. Two. Three. Four. He feels as if he can go on like that all night. Which is now morning, he’s noticing, as the sun reaches over the horizon and greets the world with a pale pink glow.

Pale pink reminds him of the colour Kaitlynn’s outfit was when they saw her for the first time in that hospital. She was a day old and squirming around in her bed, and her hands seemed to beckon for her daddies. Her mother didn’t want to hold her, and she seemed to be telling them that she craved the contact of another person.

The papers weren’t official yet, but Frank and Gerard knew that the moment they saw her would determine it. Frank had wanted a baby for so long, and though Gerard was uncertain, Frank knew that he wanted one too. When they got to hold her for the first time, it had been the happiest moment of their lives. It had felt so natural, holding Kaitlynn. They were like a family.

And every day, they feel like a family. Frank feels like a dad when he accidentally gives too-hot formula to Kaitlynn, or when he misplaces the third pacifier in a week. But it feels complete, finally.

Gazing down the street, Frank’s eye catches on a shiny black car that nobody in their neighborhood can afford. He licks his lips and stands on tiptoes to try to see who is in the car, but the windows are all tinted.

He decides to go upstairs to try to get some sleep before the big day.
♠ ♠ ♠
I wanted to post the update sooner, but alas, here it is nonetheless.

So for the story, I figured that I couldn't have it all from Kaitlynn's point of view. There are other aspects that I wanted to capture that she just wouldn't see. So there will be some odd chapters like these ones.

And also, I don't even think I can express how happy I am at the feedback I'm getting. Thank you! <333