Break This Awkward Silence

This broken city sky

Alex could barely concentrate on the road in front of her as she drove home. Brian’s parting shot still bounced around her skull. She knew it hurt so much because it was true, one of her biggest fears was Gracie finding out that her grandparents had never wanted her to exist.

Before Alex met Brian she had been a straight A student, never put a toe out of line and the apple of her parents’ eye. When she became friends with Johnny she started to go to parties and drink every once in a while. The night Johnny had introduced her to Brian Haner Jr. Alex knew that the downward spiral she had started to descend had turned into a steep slope.

The first time she had seen him was when Johnny had taken her to a party at his older brother’s apartment. Barely eighteen and just months away from graduation Alex was feeling comfortable in her own sunkissed skin and ready to conquer the world. That night she had worn a Misfits shirt that had once belonged to Johnny which she had taken a pair of scissors to so that it was sleeveless and figure hugging with a low neckline. The black jeans she wore had a rip in the thigh and the opposite knee, her battered Converse completed the ensemble.

As soon as she and Johnny had entered the apartment Jimmy had started picking on him. Alex should have been defending her best friend but she was absorbed in the tall dark-haired guy standing behind Jimmy. The black shirt he was wearing showed off his tattooed arms and the way the fabric clung to him hinted at a muscular torso underneath.

Their eyes met when they were finished roaming each other's bodies and Brian made Johnny introduce them.

The rest as they say, was history. History that Alex had no intention of repeating.

It was true that she and Brian had had some great times together and had a wonderful little girl to show for it but Alex wasn't sure that the good balanced out the bad.

comments = ♥