Break This Awkward Silence

Like butane on my skin

Brian sat in the backyard of his house and looked out at the still water in the pool. He played with the beer bottle in his hands and took a sip.

He was starting to hate this house, starting to hate the emptiness and the silence.

When Alex first learned she was pregnant they had decided to get a place together and neither’s apartment was big enough for three so they had found this house. The guys had laughed when they first saw it, with its little picket fence and porch swing. Brian hadn’t cared, he was providing for the family he had started with the woman he loved and nothing could embarrass him about that.

There was so much of Alex in this house, even after she moved out eight months ago it was still decorated the way she had wanted it. When Michelle had suggested that Brian moved the furniture around or put a fresh lick of paint on the walls he had refused, he had said that he wanted the house to be the same for Gracie, he didn’t want to confuse her. Really he liked that a part of Alex was still here and he hoped that one day she, and Gracie, would be back here on a permanent basis.

Shaking his head at himself he downed the rest of his beer. If he kept going the way he was that was never going to happen. He had been an ass and he knew it, he had known it when he was saying those things to Alex earlier. Mentioning her parents had been the step too far, the look on her face had told him that and he wasn’t sure she would forgive him for it. She shouldn’t have to.

He looked down at the now empty beer bottle in his hand and wandered back into the house through the french doors in the kitchen. As he deposited the bottle in the trash he decided that he wasn’t going to give Alex anything to find forgiveness for again. He was going to make up for the hurt he had caused and get her back, no matter what it took.

Picking up the phone he dialled Michelle’s number.

“Hey Michelle, we have to talk.”

comments = ♥