Break This Awkward Silence

Our memories blanket us with friends we know

Alex sat in her car, parked across the street from the restaurant she was meeting Andy in, and looked at her reflection in the rear view mirror.

Her petrol blue eye shadow glinted in the light from a nearby street-lamp and her thick black eyeliner flicked out at the corner of her eye.

She pushed some of her thick dark hair away from her face, she really needed to get it cut soon.

Looking down at her dark blue satin dress with its three-quarter length sleeves and square neckline she wondered if she was too dressed up, or too dressed down, she could never tell.

With a sigh she pushed open the car door, the sooner she entered the restaurant the sooner she could leave. Her black Marc Jacobs peep-toe heels were silent on the tarmac of the street as she crossed it.

Fixing her hair one last time as she glanced at her reflection in a store window she pushed open the door of the restaurant.

She had been here a couple of times with the girls and once with Gracie before she realised that a small child and spaghetti were not a good combination. It was always relaxed and the staff were friendly so at least if she had to spend an evening with some random stranger it was in a nice place. Plus her car was just across the street if she needed a quick get away.

Feeling like an idiot she explained to the hostess that she was looking for a guy named Andy, why didn’t she ask Matt his last name? She pointed to a table near the back of the restaurant where a guy sat with his back to the door.

Alex walked towards him, nervously smoothing the skirt of her dress. She reached his table and cleared her throat.

“Hi, you must be… Brian!” Alex exclaimed when the man turned to face her and she was met by a pair of familiar eyes.

“Uh, hey Al,” he smiled sheepishly.

“Is this some sort of joke?” she hissed, not wanting to draw attention to them.

“No, I’m not joking around and I’m not trying to piss you off. Just sit down, have dinner with me.”

“You must be out of your mind if you think I’m going to sit here and be civil to you after you loured me here under false pretences,” Alex turned on her heel and stormed out of the restaurant.

As she reached the wide glass door she heard Brian scurrying after her, calling her name. Exiting onto the deserted sidewalk she whirled around to face him.

What did she have to do to get him to leave her alone?

comments = ♥