Break This Awkward Silence

Let me break this awkward silence

Once the guys had gotten all of their stuff off of the bus they had decided to make themselves comfortable at Alex’s house. Six pizzas and however many bottles of beer later they were all hanging out in the backyard.

“So you and Brian?” Val asked Alex as the two women sat on the small deck and watched the guys and Grace play on the lawn.

“There is no me and Brian. Other than concerning Gracie, there’s never going to be a me and him ever again,” she informed her friend.

Val sighed, “He still loves you, you know.”

Alex looked down at her glass of soda, “He can’t love me enough to keep it in his pants when he’s on tour while I’m home looking after our two year-old,” she sighed, “It shouldn’t still hurt this much after eight months.”

“Could it be because you still love him too?” Val asked her friend.

She shrugged and looked over at her ex and their daughter, “He gave me the best thing in my life. How can I not love him? I’m just not in love with him anymore.”

Val sighed and patted her friends arm, “You know my sister Michelle was out on tour with us for a little while?”

Alex nodded.

“Well she and Brian kind of… hit it off. If you know what I mean,” Val noticed the look on her friend’s face, “Nothing happened, Michelle didn’t want anything to happen until she knew what you guys’ status was.”

“Our status?” Alex raised an eyebrow.

Val nodded.

“We’re not together.”

“She knows you guys were together for a long time and you have Gracie together, she didn’t want to step on anyone’s toes.”

Alex nodded, “Tell her she has my blessing, not that she needed it. Michelle’s great, I’m sure her and Brian will be very happy together.”

Val nudged her with her elbow, “What about you? Any hot dates you haven’t told me about?”

“None in the slightest,” Alex laughed.

“What are you ladies talking about?” Matt asked as he dropped down into the seat next to Val and threw his muscular arm around her shoulders.

“Alex’s lack of action,” she informed him.

“I’m not particularly looking for any,” Alex replied.

“And why not?” Val asked.

“I’ve got enough on my hands with work and tiny terror over there,” she motioned to Grace.

“We could take her sometime if you’re busy,” Matt offered.

Val and Alex raised their eyebrows at each other.

“You looking for some practice or something?” Alex laughed.

“What?” he asked confused, then he realised what he meant, “Hell no!”

Val looked at him, pretending to be offended.

He shifted nervously in his seat, “I didn’t mean that. Just, she’s a great kid and we wouldn’t mind taking her off your hands, right Val?”

She nodded, still a little scared by her boyfriend’s new-found broodiness, “Sure.”

Alex looked at her friend’s terrified expression and giggled into her glass before she was swatted on the shoulder by a playfully annoyed Valary.

comments = ♥