Break This Awkward Silence

As ice cold hands rip into your heart

Alex came downstairs from putting Gracie to bed to find Brian tidying the kitchen.

“You don’t have to do that,” she said from the doorway.

He turned to face her and shrugged, “Just doing my bit.”

“Thanks,” Alex mumbled, running her hand over her face.

“You look tired,” Brian stated.

“I feel like I’ve been awake for days.”

Brian reached out and tucked some of her long black hair behind her ear, “Maybe you should try and get some sleep.”

“As much as my body is exhausted my mind can’t stop,” Alex squeezed her eyes shut and rubbed her temples, “I have to remember to call Kat in the morning and get the funeral arrangements.”

“You’re going?” Brian blurted.

Alex opened her eyes and shrugged, “Even after everything that happened… he was my dad. Could you imagine Gracie not being at your funeral?”

“I don’t even want to think about that.”

“Me either,” Alex replied, “I think my mom’s going to have him buried in San Francisco so I’ll be gone overnight. Can you take Gracie?”

“I was thinking she could stay at my dad's.”

Alex frowned and opened her mouth to reply.

Brian continued, “I want to some with you, if that’s okay? I’m the reason your parents cut you out of their lives, the least I can do is be there for you when the shit hits the fan.”

Alex swallowed back the sob that had risen in her throat, “Thanks, I wasn’t looking forward to going up there alone.”

Tears escaped and she suppressed a sob by pressing her hand to her mouth. All of a sudden she was in Brian’s arms and she couldn’t stop the flood from her eyes. Her hands found the back of his shirt and she gripped it tightly, not wanting to let go. Alex had forgotten how safe she felt in Brian’s arms, how protected she was.

“You’re not alone in this, Al, you’ll never be alone. I promise,” Brian kissed her temple.

comments = ♥