Break This Awkward Silence

And after seeing what we saw

Alex shifted in the passenger seat of Brian's car, trying to get comfortable. They had dropped Grace off at Papa Gates's a couple of hours ago and were on their way to San Francisco.

"Will you stop wriggling around?" Brian grumbled.

"I can't get comfy. I think my ass is asleep," Alex continued to wriggle.

Brian rolled his eyes as he watched the road ahead of them.

"Do you remember," Alex was still moving around, "just before I had Gracie, I could never get comfortable? I'd shift around and nothing would work?"

Brian smiled and nodded, "I had to get you that big squishy cushion that you took everywhere with you."

"I loved that thing. I still have it on the rocking chair in Gracie's room."

The pair were silent.

Alex bit her bottom lip and looked down at her hands, "Thanks for coming with me Brian. I know this isn't going to be easy for you."

"You don't need to keep thanking me. As weird as it sounds I want to come with you."

She nodded and looked out the window, "I wonder if the whole family's going to be there or just his brothers and their families."

Brian glanced over at her, "Which would you prefer?"

"The more the better, I don't think I want my mom to see us. And if she does there's less chance she'll cause a scene in front of everyone," Alex mused.

"You seem kind of relaxed about it."

She shrugged and looked at him, "There's nothing I can do about it so what's the point worrying?"

"True. What are you going to say if she asks about us?"

"Honestly? I don't know. I don't want her to know we broke up, it'll just be a victory for her."

Brian nodded and opened his mouth to speak before closing it again quickly, changing his mind. He glanced over at Alex who was looking out of the window again, her eyes were glassy with unshed tears.

"It's going to be okay," he reached over and placed his hand on her knee.

She slid her fingers between his, "I know."

comments = ♥