Break This Awkward Silence

And if the world needs something better

Brian woke in the morning to Alex in his arms. He looked down at her peaceful face and hoped that today wouldn't be too hard on her.

Gently, he brushed some of her dark hair off of her face and she stirred a little. Eyes still shut she moved closer to him and laid her head on his bare chest.

"Morning," she mumbled.

"Morning."

"I guess we should get ready," she mused, pulling the sheet around her body.

"Look, Alex, last night - "

"Was great," she finished, getting off the bed and heading for the bathroom.

Brian smiled as he watched her hips sway before she disappeared behind the door, "Exactly what I was going to say."

Within an hour the two were almost ready to go to the funeral. Alex stood in front of the mirror in the hotel room and fidgeted with her hair, straightened the neck of her sweater and smoothed the front of her skirt.

"You look beautiful," Brian stood behind her.

Alex blushed and turned to face him, "Your tie's crooked," she reached up and fiddled with the black silk tie around the collar of his white shirt.

"Thank you for doing this," she said softly.

"I told you - "

"To stop saying 'thanks'," she mimicked him, "What if I want to show you?"

Alex pressed her lips to his, sliding her arms around his neck she tried to show him exactly how she felt. His hands found her hips and he squeezed them gently.

"You can do that anytime," Brian smiled when they pulled apart.

Alex reached up and wiped away a smudge of her lipstick on his lip, "We'd better get going."

He intertwined his fingers with hers, "Everything will be fine. If you want to leave at anytime just tell me and we're gone, okay? Back to Huntington, back to where our family is waiting."

She nodded and looked down at their hands, "Let's do this."

comments = ♥