Break This Awkward Silence

Let’s give them one more reason now

Taking a deep breath Alex stepped out of Brian's car and looked around the cemetery. There were at least a couple of dozen cars lining the single road that cut through the lush green grass that was home to hundreds of graves.

"Ready?" Brian asked from beside her.

She nodded and linked her arm through his.

"Looks like mom invited the whole clan," Alex mused as they followed the other mourners.

"I never realised your family was so huge," Brian commented as he looked at all the people around them.

"My dad has six brothers and they all have a few kids each so that makes a lot of relatives. I'm the only one without any siblings," she shrugged.

"How many grandkids?" Brian asked.

Alex shrugged again, "There were two before Gracie came along, I don't know how many there are now."

When they reached what was obviously going to be Alex's father's grave Brian felt her grip around his arm tighten.

"You okay?" he asked her quietly.

She motioned ahead of them, "My mom's here."

Brian followed her line of sight to see a middle-aged woman on the other side of the casket. She was the spitting image of Alex except her dark hair that was pinned up in a tight bun had streaks of grey and dark glasses covered her eyes.

"Do you think she knows we're here?"

Alex shrugged, "I can't tell. Lets just hang back here."

They stood at the back of the mourners and waited for the ceremony to start. The service started and Brian felt Alex bristle beside him at the mention of her name. He slid his arm out of her grip and around her shoulders, drawing their bodies closer together. The service seemed to be over as soon as it had started and the mourners drifted away.

Brian looked down at Alex as she wiped the tears from her cheeks, "Okay?"

She nodded and took a shaky breath in, "Yup. Let's go," she took his hand and they turned to walk back to the car.

"How dare you," a cold voice came from behind them.

Brian turned to face the owner with a frown.

"Mom," Alex said quietly, not wanting to cause a scene.

"How dare you come and how dare you bring him," Alex's mother spat.

"I just came to say goodbye."

"It's your fault he's in there you know. Heart-attack. From the stress his only daughter caused, shacking up with a rock star and having his child."

Alex looked down at the grass under her feet and hated how her mother could bring back her seventeen-year-old self. The girl she was before she met Johnny and the guys, the good girl who didn't dare disappoint her parents.

"I hope you're happy. I hope that ruining our lives has been of some benefit to you. Do you know how embarrasing it was going to that church every week knowing that people were talking about you? Talking about how much of a slut you were?"

Alex looked up at her mother, "You know what mom? Getting away from you was one of the best decisions I've made in my entire life. I was always the good girl, the one everyone could rely on to be there and it wasn't me. Not the real me. She didn't appear until I met my friends, until I met the man I love," she paused to catch her breath. "You know what else? I've got a little girl of my own now, Grace, she'll be three soon. I'm a mother now too and I would rather be down there with dad than do what you did to me to her."

Brian looked at Alex and saw that familiar spark in her eyes, it was all he could do not to smile.

With her mother, and a few relatives who had hung back to watch the exchange, stunned into silence Alex to the opportunity to continue, "I'm glad you disowned me because I was pregnant. I'm glad that my daughter doesn't have your poisonous influence in her life. Instead she has the most wonderful father and uncles that dote on her. And she has a mother who loves her with all of her being."

A hot tear slipped down Alex's cheek as she turned to Brian. No words were exchanged but he knew what she was asking, he nodded and took her hand in his, leading her down the grass and to his car.

"Home?" Brian asked as he pulled out of the cemetary.

Alex nodded, "Home to my real family, Gracie, Val, the boys. And you," she turned to face him, "I want us to be a family again Bri. I want to be with you."

Brian stopped at a red light and kissed her, crushing their lips together.

"I've wanted you to say that for the longest time," he grinned, "I love you Alexandria Elisabeth Kelly."

"I love you too Brian Elwin Haner Jr," Alex smiled.

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

I just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone who took the time to read this story, and an especially large 'thanks' to everyone who took the time to comment. If you haven't commented before please comment now, just a 'it was good', 'it was crap' will do, I'm easily pleased.

I don't know if I'll be doing anymore Brian and Alex but there is plenty of material there for a sequel so who knows?

If you didn't know already the story and chapter titles were lyrics from Skylines and Turnstiles by MCR.

Thanks again!

xoxo - glasgow_lass