Break This Awkward Silence

Hear me out

Tuesday rolled around quickly and Alex found herself outside Brian’s house with Grace and her overnight bag in her arms.

“Hey,” Brian seemed somewhat surprised when he opened the door.

“Hi, are we early?” Alex asked.

“No, come on in,” he smiled.

“Oh, hey Michelle,” Alex smiled politely at the other woman.

“Hi Alex, hey Gracie,” Michelle smiled.

Alex felt her daughter’s grip on the collar of her shirtdress tighten.

“She’s a little shy today. Say ‘hi’ to Michelle,” she said to Gracie who waved half-heartedly, “I’ll just get her settled in her room,” Alex smiled and made an escape up the stairs.

Once Alex had unpacked some of Gracie’s things and made sure she was settled with her favourite stuffed rabbit she went back downstairs.

“All I’m saying Syn is that it’s kind of weird that your new girlfriend is here when your ex-girlfriend comes over to drop off your kid. Are you trying to make her jealous or something?”

Alex frowned at what Michelle had said but still stood on the stairs, out of sight.

“You really think I would do that to Alex? I messed it up badly enough with her, I’m not about to make it any worse. I just lost track of time and didn’t realise you’d both be here at the same time,” Brian replied.

“Oh, so we just overlapped? I’m sorry your schedule is so busy that you can barely fit me in,” Michelle snapped.

The front door slammed shut and Alex decided it was as good a time as any to show herself.

“Is Michelle away?” she asked.

Brian turned to face her and rubbed the back of his neck, “Yeah, something about meeting Val.”

“Oh,” Alex nodded, “I’d better get going too.”

“Are you doing anything tonight?” he asked as she moved towards the door.

“Um, I was kind of hoping for an early night. I have to open up the store tomorrow and we have a delivery so…”

Brian nodded, “You still working at that little boutique?”

“Yeah, I’m the manager now, the owner took early retirement so I pretty much run the place,” Alex smiled awkwardly.

“That’s great, you’ve done really well for yourself.”

She shrugged, “I should really get going.”

“Sure,” Brian opened the door for her.

“I’ll pick up Gracie on Thursday after work.”

“See you then,” Brian smiled weakly.

“Bye.”

Brian watched her go out to her car, trying not to look at her body even though the beige dress she wore hugged her curves and the matching heels made her legs look longer. He closed the door as she pulled away and took a second to compose himself.

“Daddy!”

He grinned at the sound of Gracie’s voice, “I’m coming babygirl.”

comments = ♥