Break This Awkward Silence

And if the world needs something better

Brian opened the door to a grinning Alex on Thursday night.

“Hey,” he smiled.

“Hi,” she squeezed past him into the house.

“Mommy!”

Alex scooped Grace up in her arms and hugged her tight, “Hey baby. Did you have fun with daddy?”

Brian watched as Gracie told her mother what the two of them had gotten up to the last couple of days and couldn’t help but stare at Alex. She had obviously just come from work as she was wearing a loose cranberry coloured dress that stopped in the middle of her thighs, a wide black belt cinched it in at her waist. His eyes trailed down her toned legs and he remembered how they would tangle with his own when they slept side by side. He missed sharing a bed with her as well as he missed the things they did in it, or in the shower or against the bedroom wall.

He tore his eyes away from his ex-girlfriend and shook his head at himself, he just needed to get laid and he’d stop thinking about Alex like that. Making a mental note to call Michelle later he looked back over at Alex and Gracie.

“I guess we should be heading home huh sweetie?” Alex asked Gracie who was concentrating on tracing the tattoos on her mother’s arm with her finger.

“Oh, Val told me to tell you that her and Matt are having a party on Saturday night. A kind of ‘we’re home from tour’ thing,” Brian informed her as he lead them to the door.

“Any excuse?” Alex laughed, stopping on the porch.

“Something like that,” he smiled.

She nodded, “I’ll need to see if I can get a sitter for this one,” she looked down at Gracie.

“My mom and dad could take her,” Brian offered.

“Does that sound fun Gracie? Sleepover at Mama and Papa Gates’?”

“Papa?” she asked.

Alex smiled, “I’ll give them a call later. Say ‘bye’ to daddy sweetie.”

Grace held her arms out to Brian who leaned down and kissed her cheek, as he straightened up he dropped a kiss on Alex’s cheek.

She blinking at him and he blushed.

“Sorry, force of habit,” he mumbled.

“Don’t worry about it. Maybe see you Saturday,” Alex smiled as she and Gracie walked to her car.

Brian waved them off then went back into his house. Closing the door behind him he turned around and hit his head off of the doorframe.

“Dumbass.”

comments = ♥