Without You, I'm Just Me

This Heart, It Beats, Beats For Only You. My Heart

*~Josie’s POV~*10 minutes earlier:
Mom opened the door, for me and a young, nerdy but cute boy was waiting eagerly on the other side.. “Josie, this is Patrick, Angie’s F-fiancé. Patrick, this is Josie, Angie’s older sister.” Fiancé? Angie had never really been one for marriage let alone a serious relationship, I figured there must be something special about this boy. Patrick lifted his hand for a handshake. “It’s a pleasure to meet you Miss Smith.” I smiled, his manners were impeccable, of course Angie would love him. “Wow, fiancé huh? Definitely didn’t see that one coming.” He smiled. I guess they didn’t think I’d be quite as excited for their joy as they were. So where was Angie?
As if hearing my thoughts, mom lead me across the room to where Patrick stood with a much older, heavily pregnant Angie. All the pieces finally clicked. They were getting married because it was ‘the right thing to do’ in my father’s eyes, and Patrick looked like he’d do anything to win over their approval. He seemed like quite the gentleman, though his acts of chivalry were probably overlooked after he knocked up Angie. My baby sister. PREGNANT. I wasn’t sure how I was supposed to feel, and the emotion came over me in a wave. I was worried and angry, worried about how my parent’s had been treating her, and angry that she let herself get into a situation like this. Then I relaxed and thought. They really do love each other though, you can tell just by observing them for a moment, and the biggest point, he stayed. He stayed even though he could have left at any time and had a future. He stayed even though they probably won’t be able to afford to live. He stayed because he truly loved her, I was sure of that fact. And, after all that thought, I was happy for them. Although being a teenage mother probably wasn’t an ideal situation for Angie, she’d be happy after awhile. Mom had already left the room, and dad was nowhere to be seen. I put on a brave smile and walked towards her.

“It really has been years, hasn’t it?” it came out so low that I wasn’t sure if I ‘d actually said it. I looked across her face. Nothing much had changed. her hair had gotten a little darker, her face had filled out a little, and she’d gotten taller. I looked down at her stomach and smiled. I went to put a hand on it, but decided to seek permission first. “May I?”

Angie nodded, “Go ahead.” she sounded relieved that I approved. She must have been expecting much worse. I ran my hand across her stomach and marvelled. “you’re carrying quite low, how far along are you?”

Angie beamed.“7 and a half months, though there’s a risk of premature birth because I’m anaemic. “
I nodded, and continued in awe. Angie cringed away in pain and held her stomach. She started deep breaths, and I grabbed her elbow as Patrick came closer.

” What’s going on? Is she ok?” I asked Patrick as he studied her expression.
He frowned in obvious worry. “I’m not so sure, she says its probably only the baby kicking but what if its not?”
I frowned too, in realisation. “She could be having contractions, we should sit her down. I’m going to call a doctor to check on her, Patrick could you get her seated on the lounge?” Patrick nodded and slid one arm around Angie’s waist and the other around her shoulders, supporting most of her weight. As soon as I was sure he could carry her, I dashed to the kitchen hallway for the phone. I found the doctor’s number pinned up beside the phone, and began to dial. Suddenly, a piercing scream shot from the front room. I recognised it instantly as Angie. I let the receiver drop to the floor as I sprinted to the front room, passing my parents on the way. Angie was sitting on the edge of the lounge, leaning backwards and sucking in deep breaths. Patrick’s face was pale with worry and shock as he sat beside her. They noticed me in the doorway and Angie attempted to speak. “I-I think my w-water just b-broke.” she pointed to a wet stain on the carpet. A frantic scream escaped from my mother’s lips, and dad took her out of the room. Although they didn’t approve of her situation, they didn’t want to cause her any stress. “I-I call the ambulance.” Patrick nodded, but remained by Angie’s side as I made my way back to the phone. As I dialled the number my fingers were shaking. I followed the prompts and finally reached the ambulance. “This is the Chicago ambulance service, what’s your emergency?”
“M-my pregnant sister, I, her water just broke.” I gave them the address and waited. “I’m sorry miss but it could take up to an hour to get an ambulance from here to your residence, would you still like one to assist you?”
An hour? What if Angie didn’t have that long? We could get to the hospital in under 10 minutes from here. “No that’s alright, I can drive her.”
“We’re sorry we couldn’t be of any help, please drive carefully and obey traffic laws.”
I hung up the phone and ran back to the front room where my parents had returned to. Everyone looked expectantly in my direction. “I-they, umm, said that it could take up to an hour for an ambulance to arrive here.” Dad nodded and left the room. He returned a moment later with his car keys. “I’ll drive.”
*~Patrick’s POV~*

I sat in the back of Mr Smith’s car with Angie’s head on my lap. Josie was at the other end, ready to play midwife if needed. Angie gripped my hand tightly, and I brushed her hair off her sticky forehead. She was burning up badly. “P-Patrick?”
I tried to smile at her obviously terrified face. “It’s alright sweetheart, I’m right here. I’m not going anywhere.”
Angie frowned. “she’s dilating pretty quickly.” she looked up at me, I must have looked confused. “I took a course in first aid and midwifery in college. I never thought I’d need it for a situation like this, but I’m glad I took it now.”

Angie cringed again, and I squeezed her hand. “Baby, it’s alright, just breathe. We’ll be there soon, I promise.”
“Five minutes at the top.” Angie’s dad added in for support. Angie nodded but her pained, frantic expression didn’t fade.
We arrived at the hospital in what felt like a lifetime. Angie’s parents were out of the car immediately, opening the back doors for us. Josie and Angie’s dad helped me lift Angie out of the car as her mom found a staff member to retrieve us a gurney. She came back a few minutes later with 3 doctors and a gurney. I grudgingly removed my hold on Angie as they laid her on the gurney. They rushed back into the hospital and I followed after quickly. “Patrick” I heard Angie moan from the gurney. I sped up my pace to match theirs. “it’s alright sweetie, I’m still here.”
“I love you.” she held out her hand. I took it in mine. “I love you too.”
They took her through a door and I was forced to drop her hand. I felt a tear escape, and I was glad Angie hadn’t seen it.
I sat out in the waiting room, alone. Angie’s parents had gone back to my house to pick up Angie’s belongings for her stay in the hospital. Josie had gone into the room for an update. I decided my best idea was to go for a walk, I needed to clear my head. As soon as I made it out of the hospital, I turned my cell phone back on. It was immediately ringing. “H-hello?” I managed to choke into the phone. “Hey buddy, what’s up? We have practice this afternoon, did you forget?”
“No, Angie’s in the hospital, she’s about to give birth.”
I heard the realisation in Pete’s voice. “Oh my god, do you want me to come there?”
“You don’t have to, but it would probably help.”
“I’m on my way now. I’ll be there in a few minutes, take care Trick.”

I turned off the cell phone again, and descended into the hospital.
I sat in the waiting room with Pete, who had his arms around me, supporting me. “Patrick?” I looked up to see Josie standing at the door. “Angie is about to give birth, and she wants you to hold her hand, do you mind?”
I stood up in a swift motion. “Of course not, is she alright?”
She nodded but frowned. “She’s in a lot of pain, it’s so hard to see her like this. We have to be strong though, we don’t want her to worry about us as well as giving birth.” I nodded. Josie gripped my hand and pulled me through the door. I shot a frantic glance at Pete who gave me a thumbs up. Right. As I walked into the room I saw doctors gathered around Angie as well as her mother. Her face was bright red and she was wearing a hospital gown. An awkward smile crossed her face when she saw us in the doorway. “Patrick.” she moaned in excitement. I smiled at her, knowing that remaining positive was what she needed right now. I made my way over to her face, and ran my hand across her cheekbones. Her face was blotchy from crying and coated in sweat and tears. I pressed my lips to her forehead. “I love you Angie, and I’m so proud of you.”
she smiled. “I haven’t had the baby yet, remember?” she laughed, though I could tell it was causing her pain.
I nodded. “But you’ve come this far, and never once have you thought of backing out, you’re so strong, I know you’ll be able to do this.” she smiled and a nurse came to the end of her bed. “lift your knees, and spread your legs please honey.” I blushed at the instructions she’d been given and held onto her hand. She placed hers in mine but hesitated, “Are you sure you want to be in here? I might crush your hand.” I laughed.
“I couldn’t even think of sitting out in the waiting room while you’re in here, this is partly my fault so if you break my hand, I’ll deserve it.” she laughed, though the sound wasn’t as perfect as it had once sounded.
The nurse spoke again. “It’s time to start delivering this baby.”
Angie let out a horrific screech and crushed my hand in hers. Her breathing was fragmented, and her face was coated in a thick layer of sweat. “You’re doing so well Angie, I’m so proud of you baby.”
The midwife looked up at Angie. “He’s right sweetheart, you’re doing a fine job, but you have to keep pushing.”
Angie shook her head weakly. “It. Hurts.” I rubbed her face. “I know baby, I know.”
Another scream emerged from her. I bit my lip as she crushed my hand once again. It would be a long time before I’d be playing guitar again. A sudden erratic beeping sounded from one of the many machines Angie was hooked up to. The midwife shot a glance at the other nurses and doctors in the room. Angie’s hand had gone limp in mine. “A-Angie?” I chocked out, holding back the tears. “We’re losing her.” the doctor warned, moving towards the bed. “She’s loosing a lot of blood.”
“Angie.” I muttered again, squeezing her hand. “Angie.”
The doctors were now crowding around her, with many different pieces of equipment. A nurse walked up to me and placed her hand on my shoulder. “Sir, we’re going to have to ask you to leave.” I looked from her to Angie and shook my head. “No, I can’t leave her.”
She frowned at me in frustration. “Sir, if you don’t leave we may not be able to operate.”
Operate? What were they talking about? “N-no, I can’t leave.” I was becoming less sure of myself. She nodded towards two larger doctors who gripped my shoulders and dragged me out of the room. I was being pulled towards the waiting room, but I could hear the distinct, continuous drone of the machines telling me that her heart had stopped beating.
♠ ♠ ♠
The end of this chapter definitely fits in with the title doesn't it?
Anyway, I just did the unmentionable. I KILLED my main character. Hey, at least it's not Patrick right? xD Please keep reading haha. Emotions and drama are pretty high considering this is the second last chapter.
If anyone is wondering who this Kassy is, she's one of my best friends. We plan on renting an apartment together in Chicago with another best friend of ours when we finish high school cause we're crazy like that. I love her :D
|---------Original Author's Notes----------|
This was going to be one VERY long chapter but i've divided it into 3. Quizilla is screwing up because it know you'll hate me for this. Kassy is freaking out already and she hasn't even read it. Read, rate and enjoy. 16 tomorrow whoop whoop. XD