Without You, I'm Just Me

If Home Is Where The Heart Is...

“So, are you having a party? “ Sarah leaned her arm across the locker next to me. “Cause if you’re having a party I HAVE to be in charge of it.” I rolled my eyes at Sarah once again. “Just because my parents are out of town and it’s Valentine’s day doesn’t mean I have to have a party you know. I don’t even like Valentine’s day.” I pulled a face in disgust.
Sarah slapped my wrist. “Don’t be such a baby, I’m sure you’d LOVE Valentine’s day if you asked Patrick out.”
I rolled my eyes once again and shut my locker. “Goodbye Sarah.”
“I’m taking that as a yes for the party then!” Sarah called down the hallway. I laughed and kept walking. I started thinking about what Sarah had said, was she right? She’d hung out with me and Patrick a few times, and his band, and she always seemed to watch intently how we acted towards each other. It freaked me out a bit, I must admit, but it seemed to put her in a good mood to see how well Patrick treated me. I shook off my thoughts and got into my VW Beetle.

I had my entire concentration on the TV screen as I frantically tapped the controller. “Shit, that’s not fair!” Patrick yelled as he dropped controller to the floor. “How could you beat me? My character’s at least twice as powerful as yours.” He whined. I giggled and threw a pillow at the back of his head. He grabbed the pillow and threw it back at me, smiling. He climbed back onto the bed and sat beside me. “So what are you doing for Valentine’s Day Ange?” I felt butterflies in my stomach wondering what he’d say next. “Nothing really. Oh, I’m apparently having a huge party at my house because my parents’ are out of town.” Patrick smiled, and said in a mocking tone “So poor witlle Angie is gonna be awone on Valentine’s Day?” I laughed then, pushed him over. “Hey, remember your promise? You said I’ll never be alone because you’ll ALWAYS be there. You can’t tell me you’re gonna leave me to face a corny holiday on my own.”
“Ok, I’ll hang out with you ALL morning on Valentine’s Day, but after that you’re on your own cause I’ve got practice with the band. But I’ll come to your ‘party’ if you want.”
“Mr Stump, you have a deal.” I held my hand out for handshake, instead I got an inviting hug.

I heard Sarah squeal on the other end of the phone, and pulled the receiver away from my ear. “OH MY GOD!!!!! I CAN’T BELIEVE IT, YOU HAVE TO ASK HIM OUT!!!!” I waited until Sarah had finished, and placed the phone back to my ear. “Ugh, can you stop yelling, you’re making me deaf.”
“Well can you blame me? This is the most exciting thing that’s ever happened to you!”
“You do realise it’s not a date right? It’s just two friends hanging out, trying to escape another corny holiday together.”
Sarah sighed into the receiver. “Call it what you want, but I’m calling it a date. You should buy him a present.”
“Well I still stand by my opinion. Do you think I should? I mean I don’t want to NOT get him one then have him give me one, but what if he doesn’t? I’ll look like an idiot if I give him one.”
“Just tell him it’s a friend thing, no big deal. Oh, listen I’ve gotta go, my mom has to use the phone. I’ll see you at the party tomorrow.” She hung up the phone. I sighed and leant against the wall, thinking about what Sarah had said. Maybe she was right, I mean if I got Patrick a present, I’m sure he’d take it as a friendly gesture. Although, the more I thought about it, the more I hoped it would mean something more to him. When the phone began ringing again I almost jumped.
“Hello?” I answered nervously.
“Hey is that Angie?” I immediately recognised the voice on the other end as Patrick’s.
I laughed. “Yeah, it’s me Patrick. What’s up?” I heard my mom grunt from the other room at the sound of his name. She hadn’t been the same about him ever since the pillow incident.
“W-would it be alright if I came over in about 20 minutes?”
I thought about what my mom would do if he came over again. “Yeah, but why don’t I just come over to your house instead?” I heard my mom let out another irritated grunt.
“Are you sure?”
I smiled and mischievously added. “Yeah, I’m sure it’ll be a lot more fun at your house anyway.” trying not to laugh.
“Ok then, I’ll see you soon then?”
“Yeah, I’ll leave right now. See ya Patrick.”
“Bye.” I ran up to my room to get my coat. When I came downstairs, I saw mom waiting at the doorway for me. I groaned, knowing I was in trouble for the little comment I made on the phone. I attempted to walk past her, out the door, but she blocked my exit. “Crap” I muttered under my breath.
“Angie…” she began in her disapproving parental tone. I knew I was about to get a lecture, and most likely the sex talk.
“Before you start, this isn’t about what I said to Patrick on the phone is it? Cause I was only joking.”
She gave me her disapproving smile. “No Angie, it’s a lot more serious than that.” Oh great, I was about to get the sex talk.
“I know you’re almost 18 now, and I can’t pick and choose how your friends are, but I still want you to be careful. You’ve been spending a lot of time with Patrick, and there’s nothing wrong with that, but I want to make sure you know when to stop. I don’t want to see you get hurt.”
I rolled my eyes. “Mom, Patrick and me are only friends, nothing more.”
Mom sighed. “I understand Angie, but most boys at his age, well…” she trailed off, hoping I was getting the hint.
I stared at her in disbelief. “Ugh, mom! Do you really think Patrick would do that to me?” I walked past her out the doorway.
“I just want you to be careful Angie.” she forced a smile.
I sighed. “I’ll be back later, I’m going to Patrick’s house.” I slammed the front door closed and walked to my car.

“Patrick?” I asked cautiously.
“Yeah?” he said, while he concentrated on the TV screen. I wondered whether he was really listening.
“Would you find it weird if I bought you a Valentine’s Day present?”
He looked up at me. “Not at all, I’ve already got one for you. In fact I have a big surprise planned for you tomorrow.” He smiled.
I smiled back, wanting the moment to last forever.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm on a roll today, mostly because I'm hyped up on honey and pancakes and I have nothing better to do including very little inspiration for my current fanfiction I'm working on (cursed writer's block).
|--------Original Author's Notes----------|
I'm sorry once again for the filler chapter. This was meant to be my big surprise chapter, but instead I realised it was going to be too long so I'm breaking it into smaller chapters. I PROMISE the next one will be more enjoyable. Thank you to my itunes shuffle and of course fall out boy for the chapter name.