I Honestly Believed In You

Chapter 1 of 1

“Melissa… it’s me. Can you come over?” I spoke into my cell, leaving a message on Lissy’s phone. I snapped my phone shut, and stared out the window.

I paced back and forth all this time-

“Hello?” I said. “August speaking.”

“You called?” Lissy’s voice filled my ear.

“Yeah… do you mind coming over?” I asked.

“No problem August. I’ll be there in a few,” she said.

“Thanks,” I replied.

True to her word, ten minutes later Melissa knocked on my door.

“So Augustina why am I here?”

I grimaced, “You know I hate it when you call me by my full name.”

“You know I hate it when you call me away from my fun on Friday nights,” she mocked me.

“Ro-Ro-Robert broke up with me,” I stuttered before completely breaking down.

“Oh hunny, why?” she asked.

“He- he- he found another girl. One that’s better than me.”

“Want me to go teach him a lesson?”

“If you don’t mind,” I said.

As quickly as she had come, Lissy was gone. For once, I was extremely grateful to have a twin sister.

I sat back on my couch to wait. Knowing Mel, it wouldn’t take her too long to find Rob, and just a couple extra minutes to destroy him.

No, it didn’t involve killing him, she just knew what buttons to push to get people to act a certain way and get them to admit specific things. I knew that procedure all too well: she’s used it on me too many times.

Hopefully, Lissy would also be able to find that girl the Rob had told me about. She had to go down to.

Being connected to the Mob was tricky business, but in the end, it’s worth it.
__

“August, what’s up?” Robert had asked when he had called me earlier.

“Mm, not much, I was in the middle of supper,” I had answered.

“Oh, sorry. But, do you mind meeting me at the coffee shop?”

“Um, sure. I’ll be there as soon as I can,” I had told him.

Down at the coffee shop, Rob had my hot chocolate and cinnamon roll waiting at the table.

“Thanks,” I said, accepting both when he pushed them towards me.

“Augustina… you know that a hard name to shorten and form nicknames from?”

“Tell me about it. I’ve
only been trying for 18 years,” I commented.

“August… we have to break up,” Rob blurted, before looking down, red in the face.

“Why?” I asked.

“I um, I met… this girl…”

“Excuse me!? You dumping me because you found someone else?” I shrieked.

“Kind of… yeah,” he mumbled.

“I don’t believe you. You said I was the only one you ever loved!”

“That was before I met her.”

“And obviously now that doesn’t apply any more,” I said, my tone laced with venom.

“She’s perfect, what can I say,” he risked glancing up at me.

“Wow, thanks,” I said, the sarcasm was all too evident in my voice.

“Not that you’re not…” he tried to recover.

“Nice try, not going to work though.”

“I’m sorry,” he said.

“If you were, we wouldn’t be breaking up right now,” I told him.

“Yo Rob! We need you man!” some dude called from behind the counter.

“Oops, I have to go. I’m technically still on shift,” Robert said.

“Whatever,” I said, stalking out of the shop.

I paused, glancing at Rob’s car. It was coincidentally parked next to mine, along the side of the shop where the parking lot was. I dug out my keys.

“I paced back and forth all this time, ‘cause I honestly believed in you,” I murmured, carefully carving each letter of every word onto the hood of his pretty red convertible.

“You won’t forget me, Robert. You won’t ever forget me,” I whispered, and sped off in my car, blasting Metallica.

__

“He’s gone, for good,” Lissy said, interrupting my memory.

“Thanks Lissy, I don’t know what I’d do without you,” I said, standing up to stretch.

“He was pretty pissed about his car,” she told me.

“I had to get the message across to him somehow,” I explained.

“I’m sure there were other ways than carving lyrics into his car,” she said.

“Oh shush. I don’t care.”

“You will if he presses charges.”

“But he won’t,” I said. I knew Rob. He wasn’t one to get involved the police. He said he had been in too much trouble as a kid.

“Whatever floats your boat, sis,” Mel said, going off to the kitchen.
♠ ♠ ♠
Tada, all done. :)