Status: Suspended pending Imagination to finish

The Married Life

Chapter Fifteen: An Accomplice...Sort Of

It was well after noon before Itachi even budged from bed. The sheets had become sticky and uncomfortable, and he was laying at the most awkward angle. Sasuke was at his side, mostly the cause of his odd position. He was willing to over look the discomfort however, when he noticed exactly where his thumb was located.

A sleek, wet tongue was pressed to the pad of the callused digit while a hot mouth encased the rest, sucking weakly. Raising an eyebrow, Itachi pulled his thumb away, wiping it on the blanket. “Silly, Otousan.” He murmured, pushing back the boy’s bangs and pressing a quick kiss to his forehead. Sasuke mumbled in his sleep, curling closer to his elder brother as he shifted into a more relaxed position. The younger boy’s brow wrinkled and he mewled, burying his face in Itachi’s side to block out the harsh afternoon light.

There was a soft knock before their door creaked open and a gray mass of fluff peaked around the edge. “Yo.” Kakashi greeted, before stepping into the room, closing the door behind him. “I thought you might want to know that we’ll be leaving soon.” He said. “Also, I‘d like a word with you.”

Itachi glared coldly as the elder male made his way around the room, inspecting the many trinkets that were put on display. His forehead protector was back in place covering his borrowed eye. “So, you and Sasuke, huh?” He questioned, indifferent, plucking one of the knickknacks off a shelf. The question itself could have meant just about anything.

Itachi barely blinked, aware of the undertones of that simple statement. He decided it was safest to play dumb.

“What about us?”

Kakashi’s uncovered eye curved into a smile. “You don’t need to pretend, I’m fine with it as long as you’re not hurting him. The life of a shinobi is far too short to waste.”

The eldest Uchiha’s thought process faltered. Kakashi was fine with it? But, what exactly was ’it’? Did it mean he didn’t think their ’vacation’ was anything to stress over or, did he think ’this’ was fine? This relationship that by all others was damned, did he think it wasn‘t so bad after all?

“I don’t understand.” Itachi replied cautiously, carefully watching Kakashi’s eye, the only hint to his mood.

The elder cleared his throat, wandering over to the other window, fingers prying apart the blinds. “I saw you in the alley last night.” He said softly, peeking down unto the street. “Before your mother did.”

Itachi’s eyes narrowed. “Why didn’t you stop us?”

His tone was sheepish as he spoke. “Well, Sasuke didn’t appear to be in any form of pain, and I would rather not suffer his wrath yet.”

“Pervert.” The Uchiha snorted. “But, what was the real reason?”

Kakashi turned back towards the other leaf-nin, facing him seriously. “As I said, the life of a shinobi is far too short.”

“That doesn’t explain anything.” He replied evenly.

Kakashi smirked, the barest hint of movement under his mask caught by the sunlight. “Ah, but it does.” Itachi gave him a speculative look. “I’m fine with your decision as long as you aren’t hurting Sasuke in any way that can be avoided. I did not, however, agree to assist you.” He paused letting the information settle before continuing. “This situation is in your hands, I will not help, nor hinder it.”

There was a mutual silence in the room before Itachi spoke. “How do I know I can trust you?” He asked.

“You don’t, because you don’t need to trust me.”

It made sense after giving the jounin’s words some thought. Kakashi neither agreed to help either side of the argument, and he ‘couldn’t’ because according to his leader‘s eyes, the silver haired man had showed up after the Uchiha boys were fully clothed, thus making him neither harmful to Itachi‘s case nor a good source of information against him, even though it was obvious he knew what went on behind closed doors.

Sasuke shifted, nuzzling into Itachi’s side with a sigh. “Why are you even bothering to tell me?”

“Why not?”

There was nothing Itachi could really reply to that, but thankfully Sasuke chose that moment to rouse. He stretched like a pleased kitten, fingers curling in the bed sheets as he blearily blinked open murky eyes. “Ohayo, Niisan.” He chirped, sitting up before landing himself in Itachi’s lap, his knees on either side of the elder boy’s waist, leaning forward for a kiss, unbeknownst to Kakashi’s presence.

Their kiss was chaste and made the loveliest little tart sound, causing a raised eyebrow from the third party. Itachi’s loose grip around Sasuke’s bare waist became tighter, drawing the slender body closer to his, as one hand smoothed up his unclothed back, burying into dark hair and pulling for a deeper kiss. His tongue drew a wet line across Sasuke’s bottom lip before his teeth caught the plump flesh and tugged, coaxing his lips apart. The younger whimpered, clutching his brother’s cheeks in his smaller hands.

Kakashi barely caught the quick glance Itachi sent over his sibling’s shoulder, confirming that they still had an audience, that charmed a soft chuckle from the jonin’s throat. Startled, Sasuke broke away; whipping his head around to blink with wide, coal colored eyes.

“Uh, Niisan?” He questioned, gaze still locked on Kakashi.

“Hn?” The elder replied, latching onto the even column of Sasuke’s throat.

“Why is there a man with big hair in our room?” His eyes drooped drunkenly, threading his fingers through Itachi’s dark locks.

“Because,” The elder growled against the flushed mark he was producing. “He is a nuisance.”

Kakashi grinned. “I think you better stop that.” He said, gesturing to the hickey. “Your mother’s coming.” He watched in amusement as Sasuke shuffled out of his brother’s arms, blushing furiously as he reached for his pajama top.

There was a puff of jitsu smoke as Kakashi left followed by a faint knock. As soon as the temporary fog dissipated, Itachi answered. “Hai?”

“Can I come in?” Mikoto asked, voice muffled by the door. Itachi nodded to Sasuke, watching in barely contained entertainment as the boy leapt up from the bed and let their mother in greeting her with a tight hug.

“Ohayo, Okaasan! I missed you!”

The brunette blinked, a smile stretching across her features as she bent picking Sasuke up into her arms. “Good afternoon, you mean.” She replied, snuggling him close. “I missed you too.”

“We’ll be leaving as planned, correct?” Itachi briefed, slipping out of bed and into a pair of pants near by.

Mikoto glanced away politely, placing Sasuke back on the floor and fetching him some clothes. “Hai, I would wear something rather heavy.” She said, coughing to clear her throat, and missing Itachi’s inquisitive glance. “We’ll be traveling all night tonight.”

“Any particular reason?” The eldest heir inquired carefully.

“It would be best if we left as early as possible and traveling during the night will quicken the time it takes to get back to Konoha.” She glanced over her shoulder, her eyes stopping along the wall on the way, voice dying to a murmur. “Plus, it would be nice if you had a little time at home before your trial.”

“Hn.” Itachi replied, neither agreeing nor disagreeing.

Sasuke gave both of his relatives a confused look, pulling his shirt over his head quickly and snatching his pants from his mother’s hands.

“Well, if you’ve both finished packing, bring your bags downstairs. Oh, make sure you thank the Natsuki’s for their hospitality.” Mikoto reminded, leaving the door open as she disappeared down the hallway.

Itachi finished dressing quickly, making his way into the bathroom to wash up before dinner. Sasuke followed his example and they both made their way down the stairs quietly.

---------------

After a late lunch and a rather wet goodbye from Mrs. Natsuki, the Konoha residents made their way quickly towards the hidden village.

As it turned out Mikoto sent a messenger ahead of their little group to notify the Hokage that they’d found Itachi and both he and Sasuke were safe. This left Mikoto and Kakashi responsible for their cargo’s safe delivery home. They stopped just after dusk to eat and pile on an extra shirt or two for warmth and then continued on well into the dark. Sasuke was the first to tire, collapsing into Itachi’s arms and letting his brother carry him for the rest of the night.

The youngest traveler recovered after his nap and was able to move on his own, matching pace with Kakashi, whom he’d become rather attached to.

“Ne, Kakashi-san?” Sasuke questioned, carefully hopping from one tree branch to the next. “Why do you have your face all covered up?”

“Sasuke!” Mikoto chastised from behind, making her son wince.

Kakashi chuckled softly, his exposed eye curving. “I’m allergic.” He fibbed.

Sasuke’s eyes grew wide, watching the elder jounin in rapt attention. “Allergic to what?”

The one dark eye sparkled. “Everything.” Sasuke faltered in his steps, Itachi catching him in mid-fall and setting him down carefully on the nearest branch.

“Pay attention, Otousan.” He mumbled. The younger flushed nodding frantically. “H-Hai.”

After another speechless spell, Mikoto decided it was time to set up camp for the night, judging that by evening the next day they would arrive back into Konoha. Kakashi had set up a small pit in which the fire went, but left the cooking to Mikoto choosing to entertain Sasuke with more of his ‘Authentic Tales of Kakashi’, all of which were more parts fable than fact. However, being young and naïve Sasuke had known no better and believed each one.

“Kakashi-san is great huh, Niisan?” He enthused.

“Absolutely magnificent.” Itachi deadpanned.

Mikoto shook her head, happy for the distraction Kakashi was providing. “Well,” She said, brushing of her bottom as she stood. “I’m going to bed, Hatake-san, wake me up when you feel tired.” After a curt nod from the younger jonin and a kiss from Sasuke she headed into her tent.

Sasuke curled back down by his brother’s side, huddling close to conserve warmth. Itachi was dully discussing politics with Kakashi, whom of which Sasuke wouldn’t ever have guessed to actually pay attention to workings of the Fire country’s feudal lords. With drooping eyelids, the smallest Uchiha struggled to pay attention to the slowly fading speech of his elder brother and newest idol.

“Looks like your lover there has fallen asleep.” Kakashi pointed, firelight creating shadows on the inky black of his facemask. Itachi glanced down; petting Sasuke’s bangs back as he watched the younger boy sleep.

“Hn.” He grunted, lifting the slender, seemingly boneless body off the ground with ease. “You’ll be fine by yourself.” Itachi stated, disappearing into their mother’s tent, only to return empty handed and crawl into his shared tent with Kakashi without another word.

Itachi had found sleep to be rather evading as he tossed and turned in his sleeping bag. Kakashi had crawled in near three o’clock, and as soon as his head hit the pillow, his soft snoring resounded inside of the tent. The Uchiha had found himself thanking the gods that the jounin’s snores were easily blocked out due to their rather peaceful nature.

He was boredly picking cotton from his shirt when the purr of the tents entrance zipper overcame Kakashi’s comforting noise. A shadowed figured crawled inside, pausing for a moment near the entrance before creeping up between the beds, his rooster tail hair a dead giveaway.

“Niisan?” Sasuke whispered, looking from oneside to the other.

“Right here.” Itachi answered, reaching out his hand, letting his fingertips dance across his younger brother’s jaw line. “What are you doing?”

Sasuke sighed heavily, seeming to lose all tension at the soft touch. “I couldn’t sleep without you.” He murmured. Itachi never said a word, pulling back his covers and shifting over letting the younger boy climb inside his sleeping bag and snuggle into his side.

He rested his head on top of the other boy’s, wrapping his arms around his waist, while Sasuke nuzzled his chin, fingers clutching the dark fabric of his brother’s shirt tightly. The younger nudged his legs apart, forcing one supple limb between, effectively tangling them together. Itachi’s hand slipped underneath the soft cotton shirt, searching for skin and drawing another contented murmur and a kiss to the base of his throat.

“I hear one moan,” Kakashi said, voice muffled by his pillow. “And, you’re both out of here.”

Sasuke snickered, his breath tickling Itachi’s neck, making the elder boy’s lip curl at the corner. “Hai.”

The Uchihas fell asleep instantly, lulled by Kakashi’s muted snoring.

---------------

Morning meant more traveling, and after a while each tree started to blend into the next until the whole forest was one mass of mixed green in brown, becoming completely generic. The whole time Itachi felt as though he were drifting in and out of conciousness, his body subconsciously being directed towards Konoha while his mind wandered elsewhere. Mikoto seemed much the same way, if the dark circles running under her eyes were any indication to her fraying mind.

Kakashi was obviously a lot brighter than he looked, keeping Sasuke’s attention again, and leaving the elder Uchiha members to brood silently.

“Look, there’s the gate!” Sasuke chirped, pointing ahead gleefully. The lights of Konoha gleamed a short ways away, night had already fallen on the hidden village and the street lamps sparked in the distance, scattering gold light across the dusty streets.

“Should we wait until tomorrow morning to go see the Hokage?” Mikoto asked, watching as Sasuke grabbed Itachi’s hand, the group slowing to a walk as they made their way past the gate’s guards.

“That would be best.” Kakashi confirmed, pausing in his steps at the halfway point between the Uchiha clan‘s miniature village and the Hokage‘s office. “I’ll alert him to our arrival, you take the boys home.”

Mikoto smiled gratefully. “Thank you.” She said softly, feeling weary and ready to collapse into bed with out a moments notice, the sudden rush of comfort from being in Konoha, washing away her anxiety.

“It feels like it’s been forever since we were home, Niisan.” Sasuke said, eyes flashing form one side of the street to the other, taking in all of the familiar sights and sounds. “But, it feels nice, coming home now.”

Itachi grunted, barely paying any heed to what his younger brother was saying. His stomach grumbled as they passed by a few food stands, reminding him he hadn’t eaten all day. He felt subdued; like he was less in charge then he had been for the past month and a half. It was true too, once he stepped foot onto the grounds, his father’s rule was law and he loathed to think what his father would say...

Everything was as they had left it; except the people. Everyone was chancing odd glances in his direction, some turning away to mumble under their breaths about him. Sasuke seemed indifferent about the family’s reaction, beaming at everyone he saw, still holding onto Itachi’s hand tightly. The streets were rather busy for this time of evening, probably because everyone was getting ready to close up for the night.

“My, my!”

Itachi tipped his chin, watching out of the corner of his eye as Uchiha Uruchi paused in her sweeping, a pleasant smile washing over her aged features. “You’ve grown so big!” She said, hugging Sasuke with one arm.

“Auntie!” He yelled, giving the elder woman a big hug.

She chuckled, facing Itachi. “And how have you been, Itachi-san?” Her tone was light and conversational.

“Fine, thank you.” He murmured.

“And how are you?” Mikoto asked, trying hard to maintain her polite nature.

Uruchi smiled wider, her wrinkled features curling together to form a gentle expression. “I’m fine, that shop is going rather well, too. You should bring the boys by someday for a snack, my treat.”

“Oh, thank you. That’s very kind Uruchi-san.” Her own smile was stretched, weathered at the edges, though being courteous was a big part of her personality, Mikoto was starting to believe the whole manners thing was beginning to become troublesome.

“Oh, how rude of me!” The eldest woman said, a little flustered. “You all must be very tired from all that traveling. Go on home and rest up now.” She patted Mikoto’s shoulder. “All’s well now that the boys are home.”

“Hai,” Mikoto bowed graciously, sighing once out of earshot.

Sasuke was the first to reach the door, running straight in kicking his sandals off, freezing at the sight of his father. Fugaku had his arms crossed over his chest, a severe expression pasted on his features. The boy blinked frightened into submission by the harsh frown marring his father’s thin lips, black eyes narrowed dangerously.

“Where’s your brother?” He asked, voice rumbling like thunder.

Mikoto and Itachi stepped through the door quietly; his features were sporting a look of indifference, while hers were more a fatigued frown. “Father.” He murmured.

“Not now, Fugaku, please.” Mikoto groaned, dropping her bags to the floor. She stepped up next to her husband, letting him kiss her cheek.

“You and Sasuke go up to bed. We’ll be fine down here alone.” He directed a stern glance in Itachi’s direction. Unable to argue, Mikoto nodded softly, turning towards the side door.

“Sasuke, get something to eat first, alright?” She said, softly, kissing the top of his head, hugging him close. “We’re glad you’re home safely.” Giving Itachi the same relieved look. “The both of you.”

Sasuke, seemingly broken from his stupor, hugged back tightly. “Hai, Okaasan.”

Mikoto nodded to her family, drooping eyes barely able to stay open. It had been a long time since she’d had a mission, not since before Sasuke was born, and even then they were smaller B rank missions, less dangerous than what she was capable of. She had to admit, though, her skills were growing rather rusty. She directed herself outside and headed towards her and Fugaku’s shared room.

Sasuke edged away from the elder Uchiha males, afraid to be caught in the crossfire of the evident fight that was about to break out. He’d seen both his father’s and Itachi’s temper, and though they’d never before been in anything but a simple argument, this confrontation was bound to be anything but quiet. Wandering into the kitchen he searched through the refrigerator finding leftover take-out and setting it on the counter to be heated.

There was still silence in the porch from what he could tell; it was possible that the two had already wandered off into one of the more formal meeting areas. After popping his food into the microwave Sasuke peeked around the corner. Just as he’d thought, his father’s broad back was still in sight.

“I will not tolerate your behavior in this house.” He barked, arms re-crossing over his chest. Itachi never budged; hands limp at his sides, face impassive. “I thought you were mature enough to wear the family crest, but apparently I was wrong. Your ’actions’ are childish, and you will stop them immediately. You maybe a brillant shinobi, but that will not account for everything, Itachi.” The microwave beeped making Sasuke jump.

“And, Sasuke, hurry up and go to bed.” Fugaku ordered.

“H-Hai!” He stuttered, wolfing down his dinner.

Itachi watched silently as his father ordered his lover to bed, nearly scolwing at the larger man, but catching himself in time. Fugaku waited until Sasuke’s steps had disappeared up the stairs before speaking again, “I cannot say how ashamed I am to call you family right now.” He hissed. “Do you know how serious your situation is?”

“Hai.” The eldest heir replied, monotonously, keeping his gaze on his seething father.

“Not only have you shamed your mother and myself, you have humiliated the entire clan. You’re walking on thin ice, Itachi, and if I hear one more rumor about you and Sasuke, I will personally arrest you. Do I make myself clear?” He leveled Itachi with a somber gaze.

“Hai.” His son replied bitterly, lip twitching at the corner, starting to slowly fade into a scowl. He fought back the urge to use the Sharingan, facing his father with an equally firm stare.

“Get out of my sight.” He spat, turning his face away.

Itachi took the steps slowly, his expressing darkening as he went. Disgrace? Embarassment? It was people like himself who brought success to the Uchiha family name, not his weak, sniveling cousins who would rather sit at home bathing in the ’family glory’ than achieve it themselves. All of their names would sooner or later blend together and they would become just one part of the family their own personal achievements meaningless.

Only one member was commendable, the only one yet to achieve the most significant ability their bloodline carried, the Mangekyo Sharingan. That was something to strive for, because compared to that the Sharingan was virtually useless.

With a heavy sigh, Itachi slid open his bedroom door. He tugged off his shirt on the way there, his shorts falling to the floor along with it. He sat on his bed quietly, lifting his brush with a soft clack of his bedside table against the handle. He reached his hand up fingering the tie for a moment, contemplating his next move. It would be best if he stayed away from Sasuke while their parents were around, anything odd between himself and his younger brother would be picked up immediately, and although he doubted his mother would say anything about the other night, he had to stay on his toes.

The brush slid through his hair easily, catching only a few times on rather persistent knots. A slender fingertip was pressed to the middle of his back, drawing a line straight down his back, causing a shiver in his spine.

“Sasuke.” He murmured, allowing himself to be drawn into his younger brother’s warmth. Pillowing his head on the smaller boy’s collarbone, he sighed. Just one, more night together, one more night…
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah, this chapter went rather fast but I still liked it, which is odd. Sorry buddies, no smut this time, but don’t worry, there will (Of course) be more! Yup, the boys are back to sneaking around again, but this time father is there to keep an eye on the rather pervy Itachi and the oh so willing Sasuke.

How did you like Kakashi? I always thought that after losing so many people he would be rather open about things like love. He just seemed more of a live for the moment kind of guy. So, drop me a review to tell me what ya think!

~SS