Life’s a Lesson for Fortune’s Fools

Curiosity killed he cat

Normal POV
I opened my tired eyes. I was on a bed, far more comfortable than mine ever was. Plain blue walls greeted me when I looked to them for reassurance, not my poster- clad walls.

I blotted upright as my head spun. I looked at the unfamiliar room as memories of the days earlier found its way to me. I clutched my head as I brought it down to my knees.

“Glad to see you’re awake.” I looked towards the door from where the voice came as I lifted my head from its present position.

“Who are you?” I looked at the stranger with wide eyes. “What am I doing here? Where is here?”

He slowly walked towards the bed I was on. He gently laid me back down, speaking as he did so. “You have a few bruises and cuts. You’re head was bleeding you might need a few stitches for that. You might have a concussion.”

“You didn’t answer my questions.” I narrowed my eyes at him.

He sighed. “It really doesn’t matter, but my name’s Jason. You’re here because I couldn’t leave you in a dark alley unconscious. And this,” he gestured around us, “is my humble abode.”

“I think it’s only fair that I get to ask you a few questions as well. Don’t you agree?” He asked me, his eyes never leaving my face.

I sighed. “Curiosity killed the cat.”

“Maybe I have nine lives.” He flashed me a crooked grin.

“Fine.” Wearily I agreed. Despite what I had just said, I was curious. Curious as to what he might what to know. “What do you want to know?”

“What’s your name?”

“Melanie Fay.”

“How old are you?”

“19.”

“Why were you being dragged by that man?”

“Wrong place at the wrong time.” After a moment of thought I slowly added, “And bad luck.”

For a minute he stared at me as I stared at him. It wasn’t until now that I had actually looked at him. His eyes were light brown. He was well toned and muscular from what I could tell, and the fact that he carried me. His hair was a brown, a bit dark, but slightly wavy.

Sighing, he stood up. “Try to get some sleep. I’ll come up later with some clothes for you.”

“Wait!” I watched as he froze, and turned back to look at me, eyebrows raised. “Thank you.” My eyes were downcast as I fumbled with my fingers.

Raising my head I saw him nod in my direction before continuing. I watched his back as he walked out. I surveyed the room as I waited for him to come back.

After a minute or two of watching the door, I pulled the covers off and stood up and walked around the room. I expected there to be at least a thin layer on dust on everything, considering he is a guy in his twenties, but to my surprise there was none.

I continued walking around, trying to find something that would tell me what kind of person Jason was, but as I had guessed, I didn't find very much.

A few smiling pictures with friends, some books, and other assorted items littered the room. None of said items screamed 'psychopath', 'unbalanced', or 'anomalous'.

Sooner than I expected Jason was back, opening the door slowly just as i was getting back on the bed with a pair of sweats in his hands. He held the sweats out for me to take before helping me to sit up. “They’re old sweat pants, but they’re the smallest things I could find.”

“It’s okay.”

“Didn’t I tell you to sleep?”

“I wasn’t tired…”

He nodded knowingly. “If you want to use the bathroom, follow me.”

I followed Jason as he led me to a door which I presumed to be the bathroom for obvious reasons. It was miniature, but sanitary.

“Yeah, I know it’s small, but it’s ok. Well I’m sure you want to take a shower. There’s a towel on the rack already that you can use.”

“Thank you.” A careful smile formed on my face. Could I trust him? It’s better to just play it safe.

I closed the door as I stepped into the minuscule bathroom. I turned the water on a hot as it would go and waiting for a minute or two for it to warm up before stepping in.

I watched the water flow down the drain. Murky and multicolored from the dirt, blood, and grim that had covered my body. I scrubbed my body until I was beat red, but I wasn’t satisfied. Still, I felt unclean, dirty, and disgusting.

After what seemed like forever, I stepped out of the shower, my skin raw. The small bathroom filled with steam. I looked to the steamed mirror seeing only a smudged reflection.

Jason’s POV
Seated on the floor, I watched as the bathroom door opened. The light steam drifted into the hallway. I watched as a figure filled the doorway. Melanie was wearing the ratty old pair of sweats I had given her.

They were baggy as they seemed to swallow her up. Her red hair was damp as it lay in curls on her shoulders. Her skin a healthy flushed pink, with a hint of red.

Under all the dirt and grime that previously had covered her body, she was cute. Out of her numerous bruises and cuts that covered her body only a few were within view. Some of them swelling, others shades of purple, blue, pale yellow, or variations of the three.

I stood up and stretched. “Have a nice shower? The bathroom was satisfactory I hope.”
I watched as she jumped upon hearing my voice, as if startled, before replying. Her emerald eyes bore into me. “Indeed it is very nice. You’re bathroom is indeed competent despite its petite appearance.”

I raised an eyebrow at her comment. It seems as though she enjoys complicated explanations. If only she knew just how complicated her life has become.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment?
Subscribe?