Status: un-active (banned)

This Is Not What I Expected When You Sent Me To A Boarding School!

Chapter Two: Poems And Goodbyes

I wake up to the sound of crickets playing their song of sorrow and remorse. I always felt bad for those little creatures; playing music for whoever would listen. Not to mention, most people think they’re annoying and creepy.

I always thought of them playing little violins instead of rubbing their legs together. And then when you listen to all of them together, each playing a different solo at once, it sounds like an orchestra of little crickets playing their soul out.

I look at the sky and see the mixture of yellows, pinks, purples, and oranges painted across it. I always love the sunset in autumn. It was always so pretty. I walk inside and see my mother cooking dinner.

Wow! I slept till almost five! I must’ve been really tired. Mm mm…something smells good.

“What smells so delicious?” I ask her.

“Oh! Amber, your up! Melissa should be home soon. I’m making penne alla vodka with grilled chicken. Hope your hungry, it’s almost ready.” she replies.

I lick my lips in delight.

“I also made homemade apple pie, you’re favorite, because this is going to be your last dinner meal with us, and I wanted it to be special. Especially since, now it’ll only be Melissa and I.” she said all teary-eyed.

“Oh, mother! You’re too thoughtful. I will miss you dearly, but we can always call or e-mail each other.” I say smiling and teary-eyed too.

Wow! What a Kodak moment! Ha!

The front door opened and in came Melissa. We both look at her, still teary-eyed.

“What’s wrong, mother?” Melissa asks.

“I think you should tell her. I have to go finish cooking.” my mother tells me, then leaves.

“Tell me what?” Melissa asks.

“Well, you see, I’m going to a boarding school in London. I’m leaving tomorrow. Mother thought I needed a more challenging education. Isn’t this amazing!” I tell her.

Melissa falls on her knees, crying. “Oh my Gosh! Melissa! Are you okay? What’s wrong?” I yell at her with concern.

She looks up at me, and then says, “Amber, it is amazing. It really is. But I’m going to miss you! I won’t have a big sister to confide to anymore! I’ll have to to mother!”

I laugh at her.

Of course being the Miss Popular comes the lack of intelligence.

“Melissa, you know you can call or e-mail me while I’m there, right?” I tell her.

“Oh,” she snickers, “Yeah. Forgot about that. When will I see you again?” Melissa asks.

“Um, I think you’re allowed to visit on holidays.” I say, questioningly.

“They better or I’ll come anyways!” she replies. We both laugh at that.

“Dinners ready! Go wash up!” my mother yells from the kitchen.

“Finally, I’m starved! What’s for dinner?” Melissa asks me.

“Penne alla vodka with grilled chicken and homemade apple pie for dessert.”

“Mm mm…lets hurry up. That sounds so good!” she exclaims with delight.

We walk towards the kitchen, after washing up, and sit in our usual seats. Mother near the stove, Melissa to her right, and me to her left. We all dig in, this time no one criticizing how I eat.

Mm mm…this is so good! I feel like I’m in heaven. Sometimes I wish my mother took a career as a chef instead of an author. I mean she’s great at both, but I love her food better.

I finish my meal, along with everyone else.

“Well, I’m going to go study Calculus, just in casee I have to learn it at my new school. I would like to stay above my classmates. I’ll be in my room. Thank you for the dinner and dessert. They were both delicious!” I say, then head upstairs, towards my room.

Oh darn! I just remembered that I packed my textbooks already. Oh well. Maybe I can go on the computer instead. Write some poetry. Yeah, that’s it. I’ll write some poetry.

I sit down at my desk and turn on my computer.

Maybe a poem about my new, fresh start!

I go onto Microsoft Word and start to type my thoughts and feelings. My poetry isn’t really a rhyming poem, just words written into sentences, written into stanzas, and then POOF! A poem that shows my every thought and emotion about a certain topic. This topic, being me going to a boarding school and getting a new start.

Gosh! I’m so excited! I can’t wait!

I finish my poem. It read:

“My Fresh, New Start”

By Amber Jane Harper

I was always an outcast,

An invisible girl.

The only time I was visible,

Was when people made fun of me.

Now, God has sent me

A second chance.

A fresh, new start.

My fresh, new start.

I’ve always dreamed

Of a day like this.

When everything seems

So horrible,

And then, BAM!

Everything goes great!

I am very grateful

To be getting a second chance.

A fresh new start.

My fresh, new start.

So I thank you God,

Today,

For this wondrous

Gift you have given me.

A fresh, new start.

My fresh, new start.

It’s a bad poem, I know, but I can’t think of any other way to explain how I feel. A mix of emotions. Hey! That would be a good poem, about my mixed emotions!

I save my poem and open up a new window. I start to type, again.

“A Mix of Emotions”
By Amber Jane Harper

I can’t describe these feelings.

As if a tidal pool of emotions

Filled my lungs.

I can’t breathe anymore.

I’m starting to drown,

Die.

However, not die of depression.

Die of an emotion overload:

Excitement,

Horror,

Happiness,

Sadness,

Nervousness,

And Gratefulness.

Excitement,

Because I get a challenge.

Horror,

Because they might not like me.

Happiness,

Because I get a fresh, new start.

Sadness,

Because I’ll miss my mother and sister.

Nervousness,

Because the school might be too hard for me.

And Gratefulness,

Because God gave me a second chance.

These are a mix of emotions.

I save the poem and then shut down my computer.

WOW! What a day! What…a…day! I am so happy!

The rest of the night, I listen to my I-pod.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wake up to a ‘drip-drop’ sound. I slowly open my eyes and see that it’s raining outside.

Great! Now I have to spend my whole day indoors! What am I going to do?

Then everything from yesterday comes back to me.

Oh My Gosh! Today’s the day I leave for London! Gosh! I’m so excited!

I quickly run downstairs, still in my pajamas, and head towards the kitchen. Melissa’s already there, reading some celebrity magazine, and my mother’s making scrambled eggs at the stove.

“Morning. How’d you sleep?” Melissa asked.

“Great! Never slept better in my life!” I reply, smiling big.

She looks up from the magazine and frowns. “Good! I can’t believe your leaving today! I’m going miss you so much!”

“Yeah, me too. But I’m still really excited!” I say, grinning from ear to ear.

“Breakfasts ready!” my mother announces.

We start to eat, when the phone rings.

“I’ll get it,” says my mother. “Hello?”

I look at Melissa with a questioning look. She just shrugs and goes back to her eggs.

“Oh! Hello!...Yes, of course…Thank you so much! Okay, thanks again….Bye!”

“Who was that?” I ask my mother.

“That was the school. They said that your flight number is 214 and that it leaves in two hours. So, we should leave soon, considering it’s an hour drive to the airport.” she replies.

“Oh, okay!” I reply, excitement and fear pouring out of my smirk.

I finish eating and headed upstairs. I jump in the shower and clean every nook and cranny on my body. I walk into my closet, only one outfit there, and it’s not even mine. It’s a fancy, navy blue, knee-length skirt with a dark green v-neck sweater. Underneath the hook, are navy blue one-inch sandal heels.

Hmmm…I guess my mother wanted me to wear this. I guess it’s cute. Not really my thing, but it’s cute…for like, Melissa! Oh, well. Not going to argue.

I put on blue eyeliner and mascara. I add a green shimmer to my eyes. I put on clear, shinny lip-gloss, and then pucker my lips. I decide to put my hair half up, half down. I tie it with an emerald green bow that matches my eyes.

I look at myself in the mirror.

Well, this is as close to beautiful as I’m going to get, so better enjoy it while it lasts.

I head back down, hearing my mother order Melissa around.

“Melissa, please help with Amber’s luggage.”

“Fine.” Melissa says, irritated.

I head towards the car and sit in the passenger seat. They get into the car and then my mother pulls out of the driveway and heads towards the airport.

Goodbye old home. I won’t see you in a while. Take care without me!