Stolen From My Eyes

Wake Up

She awoke with a start, confusion instantly setting in. Her eyes snapped open, only to be greeted with darkness. Her entire body felt weak and was covered with a light sheen of sweat. She knew she had been dreaming – it was just that the dream itself eluded her. But it felt like something important.

So caught up in the dream was she that it didn’t immediately register that she had no idea where she was. Racking her brain, she could not come up with an answer. In fact, she realized with dread that she couldn’t remember anything; not even her own name.

Panic had replaced the shock of the unfamiliar surroundings. Her breathing came in short gasps, her heart pounding ferociously. When a light knock sounded at the door, she nearly jumped out of her skin. There was no way to know just who was on the other side: a family member, or maybe a kidnapper.

But a kindly looking elderly woman poked her head in, a candle stick held in her hand. Seeing that the occupant was indeed awake, she entered the room and closed the door quietly. “I see that you’ve finally awoken, dear.” The woman said, approaching the bed and setting the candle down on a nearby night stand. “Don’t be frightened; you’re in good hands.”

She found herself struggling for words. “I…don’t remember.” She managed to get out, her voice sounding strained.

The woman laid a hand gently on her forehead, smoothing away hair. “That’s okay. You suffered a nasty accident and may not remember things for awhile. But it will come back eventually, I assure you. I’m Mrs. Everly, your nurse. You are currently at River Oaks, a hospital.” The woman said, smiling. “Do you remember your name?”

The girl was silent for a moment, lost in deep concentration. There were images, but nothing concrete. She struggled, digging into her own mind desperately. And then out of the nothingness one word stood out. Elise. Yes, that was it. “I think my name is Elise.” She mumbled.

“Very good!” Mrs. Everly beamed at her. “Elise Elizabeth Grimm is your full name. You’re already doing better!”

Elise sighed wearily. “What happened? How long have I been in here?” Her throat was dry and scratchy.

Mrs. Everly produced a glass of water and helped her sit up. “You took a horrible fall down a staircase. Your father admitted you a few days ago, the poor man. Things just haven’t been going well for your family.”

“What do you mean?” Elise asked curiously, feeling much better after downing the water.

There was a sympathetic look aimed her way. “Your mother, dear; she just recently passed away. Your father was so afraid he had lost you as well. He’ll be so pleased to learn you’re awake.”

The nurse rummaged around in a drawer of the night stand, seeming to find what she had been looking for. It was a photograph; there was a beautiful woman, who must be Elise’s mother, sitting on a rocking chair and holding a little girl of about five or six and smiling widely. Behind her, one hand resting on the woman’s shoulder and the other on the back of a chair, was a handsome, proud-looking man. “These are your parents.” Mrs. Everly said soberly, wiping a small tear from under an eye.

“We look so happy.” Elise said softly, gently taking the picture and studying it intently. “I wish I could remember them. Did you know them?”

The kind nurse seemed to have gotten a hold of herself once again. “I had met them on a few occasions. Your mother was a wonderful woman, often times helping out here when she had spare time. And without the donations from your father, this place would have fallen to ruins.”

Emotion flooded through Elise. She felt so lucky to have such wonderful people for parents. With all her heart she hoped she remembered them soon. Maybe her father would come to visit, and that would jog her memory. “How long will I be in here for? When can I go home?” She asked hopefully, running a finger longingly over the photograph.

“The director of the hospital, Dr. Hayward, suggested a month of recuperation time here, without interruption,” Came the slightly disapproving answer.

Elise’s heart sank. “So that means Father can’t come to visit? Not even if there’s a chance it would help me remember things?”

“I’m afraid so.” Mrs. Everly said sadly. “Dr. Hayward has full confidence that it would be less stressful on you if no visitors are allowed. He believes you will be fully recovered by the end of your stay. I don’t agree that a young woman your age should be left alone for so very long without any contact with friends or family. But I’m not the one in charge.” She said rather aggressively.

It was clear to Elise that Mrs. Everly had her best intentions in mind, and she really liked the elderly woman. “I really should let you get back to sleep. You need all the rest you can get.” Mrs. Everly sighed. “I will see you in the morning with breakfast, alright? Have a good sleep, dear.”

Elise bade her good-night and watched as the nurse left the room. Then she snuggled under the covers, mind whirling with so many thoughts, and somehow managed to get back to sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Getting the beginning things out of the way. Sorry it wasn't too exciting. I hope it was enough to keep you curious for more. :]