Stolen From My Eyes

Youth Revealed

By midnight she grew too impatient. She was sure that if he was going to reply, he would have by now. So she slid her feet into some slippers and padded quietly up to her tower room, anticipation growing with each step.

With a deep breath she reached up and took down the book, opening the cover slowly. And tucked inside, to her immense relief, was a note with her name scrawled on the outside in Gerard’s now familiar handwriting.

His reply was simple and to the point: What would you like to know? I will answer as best I can.

A smile lit up her face. She did, in fact, have a question she had so far refrained from asking. But perhaps, not having to say it directly to her, he would answer. Another piece of paper and she was scribbling hurriedly so she could go back to bed. Now that she knew he would communicate this way, she wasn’t nearly so impatient. Her question was perhaps the most difficult she had ever posed him: why had he not seemed to age one day since she was a little girl?

When she was tucked cozily back in her bed, she allowed herself to drift off to sleep. And yet another memory showed itself to her.

A now twelve year old Elise was rummaging around an attic, Gerard nearby. “I’m sure there are some old clothes we could use for dress-up somewhere around here,” She was saying.

Gerard seemed anxious, shifting his weight from foot to foot. “Elise, I don’t think we should be up here. And besides that, I’m far away from any good hiding place.”

“It’s okay, Gee.” She said, hugging him tightly for a moment before resuming her search. “No one is going to find you. We’ve kept you a secret for years, even when I was little. That’s no small feat. And now that I’m more grown-up, it’s easier. Just relax.”

But this didn’t seem to comfort him in the least. “Did you hear that?” He said suddenly, his body tensing up.

“I didn’t hear anything.” She said in exasperation, rolling her eyes. “Honestly, you’re just so…”

But she never got the chance to finish. The attic door was suddenly flung open and her mother stepped inside. Gerard tried to shrink back into the shadows, but it was too late; she had spotted him. “Mother!” Elise cried out in alarm, not sure what to do.

Lily gave a gasp as she closed the door behind her, staring at Gerard. “You are real,” She breathed, then her face turned pale. “Elise, come to me now darling”

“Why? He’s not going to hurt me, Mother. Honestly, you don’t have to be afraid.” Elise tried to soothe her obviously frightened mother.

“Do as I say,” Lily commanded, taking on a tone rarely heard by anyone. To Gerard, she hissed, “You stay away from my daughter. I don’t know who you are or what you want, but I want you out of my house.”

He was visibly upset by the whole situation. “I mean your daughter no harm, Mrs. Grimm. I would never hurt her. I’ve been looking after her all these years. I only wish to keep her safe.”

He did not have to say out loud what or who he was keeping her safe from. Mrs. Grimm understood immediately, but his reasons were not so obvious. “I don’t understand. Why are you doing this? And what are you?” She was standing straight now, a firm set to her face.

“I think that you and I should have a talk in private.” Gerard suggested, purposely not answering her other question. Then, seeing her hesitate, he said, “I assure you, I mean you no harm. I have her best intentions in mind, I swear it to you on my life. But please, just give me a chance to explain.”

Elise ran to Gerard, throwing her arms around his waist and burying her head in his stomach. “Don’t make him leave, Mother.” She sobbed. “I couldn’t bare it.”

Lily looked very tired suddenly. “Very well,” She relented after a tense silence. “Elise, I’d like you to go to your room. No, don’t argue with me. I only wish to talk to Gerard.”

Her daughter reluctantly let go of her friend, allowing him to wipe a tear from her eye. “I’ll at least say good-bye if I must,” He promised with a whisper, squeezing her shoulder and then giving her a little push.

Elise shuffled past her mother, still wiping at her wet cheeks and eyes. Her mother laid a reassuring hand on her head for a moment, then opened the door for her. Elise thought of eavesdropping, but decided that the door was too thick and if she got caught she’d be in a load of trouble. And so, with Gerard’s fate unknown, she went to her room as she was told and curled up on the bed.


“Mother knew?” She said aloud to herself when she awoke.

It was all so confusing. She had believed that no other soul had known of Gerard’s existence besides herself. What was even more puzzling was the fact that her mother had agreed to hear him out instead of making him leave. And from the sounds of it, she had been suspicious all along that Gerard wasn’t just an imaginary friend.

After a quick breakfast in which she enjoyed the company of Mrs. Everly, Elise excused herself. “Back to the tower room?” The nurse inquired with a smile.

“Yes,” Elise admitted. “I just can’t seem to stay away. But I promise I will get some fresh air tomorrow. I know it’s not healthy to stay cooped up inside all day.”

Mrs. Everly accepted this and departed to do whatever else it was she did. Elise nearly ran to the tower room, hoping that Gerard had answered her inquiry. But when she opened the book, there was only a small scrap of paper with just two words on it: turn around.

Confused, she set the book back up on the shelf and did as the note instructed, albeit a little slowly. He was there, sitting in the rocking chair. “Can’t you ever announce yourself?” She asked after she had nearly jumped out of her skin.

He smiled at her. “You used to love it when you were little.”

She sat cross-legged on the floor, waiting for him to speak again. He knew exactly what she was waiting for. “Are you sure you’re ready to know the answer to that particular question?” He asked, hesitating.

He seemed so unsure, almost a little scared. Squaring her shoulders she nodded. “Yes. I can handle whatever it is, I’m sure.”

“Okay. But please, promise you won’t scream. I won’t hurt you, but you might be scared by this.” He pushed himself out of the and stood with his back to her for a moment.

Then he turned, and he was different but the same. She figured out what it was when she locked her eyes on his; his intense hazel eyes were now glowing a golden color that was not natural. “I am not human, as you may have guessed.” His voice seemed rougher, almost in longing. “Normally I am a nocturnal creature. And my diet is very…unusual.”

She couldn’t put it together; her mind would not allow it. “I - I don’t…” She stammered. It couldn’t be.

And then he bared fangs at her, a low hiss sounding from deep within him. Her instincts reacted for her, and she backed up on all fours until she hit a bookshelf and could go no further. “I will never grow old.” He growled, taking a step towards her. “I cannot die by normal means. I can do things you can’t even being to imagine.”

Words wouldn’t come, nor would a scream. It was as if her brain had frozen and was unable to respond at all. So she cowered in a little ball, trying to make herself a smaller target and wishing she was closer to the door. This was not her childhood friend. This was a monster.