Stolen From My Eyes

Unkown Relative

Mrs. Everly was pacing outside the library doors when Elise approached them. The nurse looked at her watch with a frown. “Good timing, dear. Come on, let’s get on with this.”

Again Elise wondered what on earth could be bothering Mrs. Everly about this meeting. Before she could ask, the nurse swung the doors open and beckoned for her to enter first. With a deep breath and shaking limbs, she moved through the doors.

A handsome man was seated at one of the tables, looking over some paperwork. He had a full head of dark brown hair, and his face was clean shaven. He was dressed in a very expensive looking-suit. Hearing Elise’s tentative footsteps, he looked up and gave her a brilliant smile. “Elise,” He said, standing up and walking around the table with his arms open.

She was so startled to see a slightly older version of the man from her memories, that for a moment she couldn’t move. But then, she pulled herself together and allowed herself to give him an awkward hug. After they had parted, he held her at arm’s length and looked her over, the smile lines around his eyes increasing. “You’re looking so much better, princess. I was so worried…” He paused, a slight frown coming over him before disappearing again just as quickly. “But you’ll be able to come home soon! I’ve made sure everything is cleaned and ready for your return. I’ve missed you so much.”

Elise smiled nervously at him. “Forgive me, Father. I don’t quite remember you well just yet.” Seeing his frown return, she said quickly, “But I’m making progress!”

He beamed at her and motioned for her to sit down. At that moment Mrs. Everly shuffled into the room, and Elise finally found out why the nurse had been acting so strange. Edmund looked at the nurse with slight surprise. “Why, hello, Mother. I didn’t expect to see you here.”

Mrs. Everly was her grandmother?! Elise must have looked thunderstruck, because her father looked at her and raised an eyebrow before turning back to Mrs. Everly. “You didn’t tell her, did you?” He asked, laying a hand on Elise’s shoulder.

“N-no,” Mrs. Everly stammered. “I was hoping she would remember me on her own. But now I suppose it doesn’t matter. How have you been, Edmund?”

If this was her grandmother, she wondered why the two of them exchanged just cold small talk. Tension was now a big presence in the room. While the two of them were talking, Elise felt the familiar sensation of something coming back to her. Turning her face away from the adults, she hoped her body would give nothing away. And then she was somewhere else entirely.

“You knew he was real?” Her father screamed at her mother on the landing. Elise was watching it all happen from her hiding place in a hall wardrobe.

Lily bowed her head, keeping her eyes lowered and her voice calm. “Yes, I did. And I think you should seriously consider his offer. He would take care of her, always. She’d be safe and secure with him, Edmund. That’s all I really want for her.”

“You sneaking little beast!” Edmund roared, taking a menacing step toward her. “This isn’t about what that brat wants; it’s about connections and money! You know that as well as I do. This going around behind my back is unacceptable, Lily. You have been nothing close to a loyal and loving wife. And apparently normal punishments aren’t enough! Well, I’ll show you…”

Lily backed up into a wall, having nowhere else to go, fear now plain in her eyes, those eyes that so reminded Elise of her own. “Edmund, please, just calm down. That’s why I told you; I wanted to make absolutely sure he was telling the truth. That boy you so favor, he’s a drunk. He’ll beat her and treat her like an animal. That can’t really be what you want for your only child -”

“Do not presume to know what I want!” He yelled, pulling something out of his pocket. “Now you’ve done it!"

Elise couldn’t see what the object was, but her mother could. “NO, EDMUND, PLEASE!” Her mother cried, tears now springing from her eyes.

She didn’t get another word in. Elise wanted to cry out, but couldn’t because of terror. It was clear what the object was as soon as Edmund stepped close to her mother and ran his arm into her. There was only one thing it could be…

Lily cried out one last time as Edmund stepped back to admire his work. The hilt of a dagger was protruding from her mother’s stomach. Tears rolled silently down Elise’s cheeks as she watched the blood spread. Her mother had fallen silent, slowly losing the fight for her own life. Elise had her hand over her mouth now, and was glad she did when her mother’s eyes locked with her own. She knows I’m here…Elise thought wildly.

Edmund had turned his attention elsewhere, and so did not see Lily mouth the words ‘I love you’ to Elise. Elise blew her a shaky kiss, and curled up in a ball as all life finally left her mother.


Elise could feel a thin sheen of sweat all over body. “Elise, are you alright, dear?” Her grandmother asked worriedly.

“Yes, I’m just very warm,” Elise said quickly, trying to regain her composure. “Could you please…er, I can get the window.”

“Nonsense,” Mrs. Everly said. “I’m still here to take care of you. I will get it.”

Her father was watching her with concern, or so it seemed. She tried not to let him know that she knew exactly what he had done. Instead she met his eyes, unflinching. “Any idea when I’ll be able to come home?” She said calmly.

“Dr. Hayward says perhaps sometime next week if you keep progressing like you have. Isn’t that exciting? You won’t have to stay in this crumbling old hospital any longer.” Her father chuckled at his comment, but Elise remained silent.

“Yes, Father. It is wonderful news.” She said tiredly. “I’m not feeling very well. I apologize for having our meeting cut short. But I really think I ought to go lay down.”

Edmund was startled that she had ended their time together instead of him. Not quite knowing how to respond, he answered, “Very well. Of course you should go rest. I’m sure all of this has been quite taxing on your strength. Good-bye, Elise. I’ll see you soon. Mother,” He nodded briskly at her, and exited the room in a hurry.

Mrs. Everly watched him leave with narrowed eyes, and then turned with a sigh to Elise. “Would you possibly be willing to hear a silly old woman out?”

Despite the fact that Mrs. Everly had refrained from letting Elise know she was her grandmother, she felt bad for her. “Yes, of course, Mrs…what should I call you?” She asked suddenly.

“Whatever feels more comfortable, dear. I won’t be offended if you continue calling me Mrs. Everly.” The nurse said, sitting down next to her granddaughter.

“So, when you said you’d only met my parents a few times…” Elise began slowly.

“I lied; I am sorry, dear. I confess, I was being a bit selfish. I was so hoping you would remember me on your own.” Mrs. Everly laid a hand on hers. “In fact, when I learned that you were admitted here, I requested to be your nurse. Miraculously, the director allowed it. I hope that I haven’t damaged any hope of a relationship with you. When you were little, I didn’t get to see much of you.”

Elise’s heart went out to the kind woman. “It’s okay, I understand… Grandmother.”

The smile on Mrs. Everly’s face was contagious; soon Elise was smiling too. She stood and wrapped her arms around the older woman. A little giggle escape her, despite the chilling memory that had just come back to her. “It feels good to have a grandmother.”

She saw her grandmother hastily wipe away a tear that had escaped. “And it feels wonderful to really know my granddaughter.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Dun dun dun...a twist! Who would've guessed it?