Stolen From My Eyes

Release Papers

Her grandmother didn’t seem at all surprised when Elise approached her and asked for an audience with Dr. Hayward. Instead, she let out a long sigh. “I had a feeling you would want to go home as soon as possible. I take it you’ve remembered more?”

Nodding eagerly, Elise said. “Oh yes! That visit with Father did wonders for my memory.”

Mrs. Everly stared off into space for a moment and then rose from her seat by the window. “Very well. I shall go speak with him now. Don’t be surprised if he can’t see you right away; he’s a very busy man.”

Elise thanked her profusely, feeling a pang of guilt upon seeing the longing in the older woman’s face. She wondered just how bad the relationship was between her grandmother and her father. Was it so bad that he would not allow Mrs. Everly to see her?

A shiver went up her spine at the thought. She had just gotten her back; she couldn’t lose her now. Maybe once all her memories were back, and everything was sorted out, she could convince her father that her grandmother needed to be a part of her life…

That is, if he didn’t kill her first. She suddenly felt very cold, and wrapped her arms around herself. This whole plan was stupid and dangerous. But if Gerard thought it was the only way…

She realized with surprise that she had come to trust him completely. If he said jump, she’d ask how high. Thinking back, she wasn’t exactly sure how this came about. But she found she didn’t really mind. So far, he had been correct. And helpful, once she got past all the riddles and secrecy.

Mrs. Everly came back shortly with a small frown on her face. “Dr. Hayward says he will see you now.” She even sounded upset.

Her relationship with her son seemed to be very strained. Elise felt a small sense of panic at the thought of losing Mrs. Everly. Squaring her shoulders, she took a deep breath and began her walk to the director’s office. She wouldn’t allow it to happen; she’d have Gerard help if it was necessary.

This time when she knocked, Dr. Hayward’s response sounded a bit shaky. As she sat down in the chair across from him, she noticed he was looking around as if expecting someone he didn’t particularly want to see to pop out of nowhere. “You wanted to see me?” He questioned, eyes still not focusing on her.

“Yes, sir. I wanted you to re-evaluate me. I’d like to return home to Father as soon as possible.” She hoped she sounded convincing; going home was really the last thing she wanted to do.

His hand seemed to be shaking as he wrote something down on his infamous notepad. “Yes, I figured you would be back in here shortly after your father’s visit.” For a moment his nervousness was replaced by annoyance. “So go on then. What have you remembered now?”

Elise lied well. She made up memories of her childhood; making daisy crowns with her mother, and eating meals together as a family. All the while Dr. Hayward ate it up, writing furiously. “Remarkable!” He exclaimed. “Have you remembered your mother’s death yet?”

She thought the distraught look she gave him was convincing. “No, sir. That’s another reason why I long to return home. Maybe if I’m there, where I have such good memories of her, I can remember.”

He looked at her with sympathy and nodded. “Of course, my dear. I understand where you’re coming from.”

There were a few moments of silence as he contemplated his notes, then opened a drawer she couldn’t see. His hand reappeared with a sheet of paper clutched in it. “These are your release papers,” He explained, holding them up for her to see. “My professional opinion is that you have done all the healing you possibly can here. Now I think that you just need to be with your remaining family.”

“Thank you, so much!” She gave him a grateful smile, though her stomach felt like it was in her throat.

“Of course,” He started again. “Should you relapse or hit your head too hard, I expect that you will let us know and allow yourself to be readmitted here.”

She nodded her head eagerly. He explained that she would be released the next day. He would personally call her father so he could come collect her and make sure she got home safely. After thanking him for the tenth time, she stood and moved towards the door. She took a quick glance back over her shoulder and saw the director mopping his sweaty forehead. He was acting very odd, indeed.

Elise went in search of her grandmother to tell her the ‘good news.’ The nurse gave her a sad smile, and congratulated her. “You’re going to come visit, aren’t you?” Elise demanded, squeezing her hand.

“I’m not sure that is such a good idea.” Her grandmother said gently. “But I will stay in touch; just make sure you get to the mail before your father does.”

She wanted to ask why, but Mrs. Everly said she really must go and tend to some chores that needed to be done. Now feeling dejected and anxious, Elise went to the tower room with the intent of writing a note to Gerard.

But it was not necessary. He was waiting in the shadows, like always, when she shut the door behind her. “So it worked, I take it.” He said, studying the gloomy look on her face.

“Yeah, I leave tomorrow.” She picked at an invisible thread on her jeans.

His eyes were on her; she could feel them. It startled her when suddenly a finger was gently moving a strand of hair out of her face; she hadn’t even noticed him move closer to her. “Don’t worry,” He murmured. “You will be safe. I promise you. I won’t let anything bad happen to you again.”

Again? She wondered what on earth he could mean. Had her accident somehow been his fault? A new swell of unease washed over her; it looked like going home was becoming an even worse idea as it came closer.

He must have sensed her discomfort and hesitation, because he put his hands on her shoulders. “Before you ask, no, I won’t explain. If this works, you’ll know soon enough anyway. But until you’ve seen it, I will remain close by.”

She wondered what he could have done that was so bad that he believed she’d never want to see him again. The guilt in his eyes was almost a physical pain to her. But what if she didn’t want to remember? She could go on, never knowing, and they could be happy…

“I know what you’re thinking.” He spoke through clinched teeth, eyes narrowed. “Don’t.”

A sudden flood of determination swept through her and she opened her mouth to tell him she’d think whatever she pleased. But almost as soon as she looked into his eyes, he disappeared. She blinked rapidly, looking around with wide eyes. That was the first time she had actually witnessed his little act. And it had shocked her.

Left speechless and with nothing else to do, she pulled a book off of a shelf and went back to her room. She knew she’d hardly sleep at all tonight; might as well have something to occupy her time. And it might be the last time she’d be able to indulge in reading. At least, while she was alive.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's taking so long to update. I just recently got a job, so that's taking up most of my time.