Stolen From My Eyes

Hard Truth

“That’s not true!” Gerard snarled, his eyes beginning to gleam that eerie golden color, and she could see the sharp fangs peeking out.

Now uncertain, she thought back to all the times she had spoken to him. Come to think of it, it seemed like he had been able to read her mind, on more than one occasion. And how did he always know when she had had another vision? Unless he was the one putting them into her head…

Edmund took another step back. “Elise, stay behind me, okay? I’ll keep you safe.”

He put his arm around her shoulder, his body in front of hers apparently to shield her from Gerard. She wasn’t sure if it was the mixture of Edmund touching her and the landing, but again a memory over came her. And this time it seemed to open a flood gate that brought everything back.

Elise was still standing in her bedroom, glaring at the spot that Gerard had just been in. But then her breathing slowed, and her anger seemed to be replaced with a little bit of fear. “Gerard?” She called out uncertainly, shivering.

But it wasn’t her friend that had answered. “So,” Came the cold voice of her father. “You were hiding in the wardrobe, you little sneak.”

Fear enveloped her now, and she shrank back. There was nothing she could think of to say; he must have been nearby and heard every word she said to Gerard. “Where’s your protective little shadow now?” He said dangerously, advancing towards her. “Did you send him away? How stupid of you. But then again, it just makes things easier for me.”

Instinct kicked in. Her father was almost within reaching distance. With a speed she didn’t realized she possessed, she vaulted herself onto the bed and over it, her feet pounding on the floor as she ran to the landing.

But her father was also fast. He must have anticipated a move like that. He was right on her heels, giving chase. Elise realized her mistake too late; the staircase was coming up fast. She would have to slow down to descend, and he might catch her. But she had nowhere else to go.

Resisting the urge to look behind her, she swallowed her terror and slowed her speed a little. It was just enough for Edmund to grab a hold of her hair and yank. She cried out as her back hit the hard wooden floor of the landing with a loud smack.

“You little brat.” He said in a quiet voice, pulling her up to a standing position. “Just like your mother, sneaking around behind my back. Well, I taught her. Perhaps you need a lesson as well.”

“Gerard!” Elise screamed out without thinking, hoping, hoping that he would somehow hear her.

Edmund laughed, pulling her over towards the top of the very tall staircase. “Your hero can’t save you now. You banished him, remember? This is all your fault, Elise. I want you to remember that when you feel the pain of punishment.”

Her back foot slid a little into empty air, and she realized there was no escape. Edmund bestowed a light kiss to her forehead. “Good night, princess.” He said, a cold smirk on his face before pushing her forward and letting go.

For a moment Elise felt like she was airborne. Then she came down, hitting the first step hard. There was no way for her to even begin to imagine a pain like that. And she didn’t have the good fortune to only feel it once; no, it came again and again as she made her rolling descent down the staircase.

Through her cries, she thought she heard someone else’s. Someone so familiar she felt like they were the other half of her. “Elise!” It came again, so full of pain and terror.

Then her head came down hard on the edge of a step. In the distance she thought she heard sirens. But the searing pain in her head was blocking everything out. And then, miraculously, the pain stopped and she was floating comfortably in a sea of black.


Elise felt her father jerk his hand away from her, turning wide eyes on hers. “What just happened?” He asked, then turned to glare at Gerard. “What did you make her see?”

She was so confused. Now she wasn’t sure which one of them was telling the truth. And so she broke away from her father, moving quickly to stand in between them, her gaze moving from one to the other uncertainly. “I don’t know which one of you is telling the truth.” She stated, her voice shaking.

“Elise, sweetheart, I’m your father. I only want the best for you.” Her father was saying behind her, trying to sound rational. “Don’t give into that monster.”

Gerard had gotten control of himself a bit, but his voice was still rough. “I am not the monster here.” He declared. “Elise, I never put anything into your head. Everything you’ve seen, it’s all real.”

Both of them sounded so sure of themselves. It was making her head spin. “Stop talking, both of you!” She commanded.

They immediately fell silent. She rubbed her temples, trying desperately to figure everything out. She thought of her father, seeming so happy that she was returning home. She thought of Gerard, comforting her and sharing some of his secrets.

While she was sorting through her thoughts, there came the noise of movement from where her father was standing. Glancing quickly over her shoulder, she saw that he was making a lunge for her. Turning her eyes back to Gerard, she saw that he had thrown himself into motion as well.

Unsure of who was dangerous, and who was not, Elise stood rooted to the spot. “Elise, move!” Gerard cried. “He’s going to stab you!”

She took a step towards Gerard, now alarmed. Any moment now one of them would reach her first. Edmund had moved first, and he was fast. But Gerard was much faster.

With a cry Gerard reached out and snagged her around one arm, yanking her sideways towards him. Something sharp entered her other arm, and she let out a gasp as white hot pain shot through it.

She blinked, trying to focus on something other than the pain. But then a cool wind washed over her, and she realized she wasn’t in the house anymore. It was dark, but with the moonlight she could still make out the dark hedges of the labyrinth.

Go, Gerard’s voice said. Solve it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Already working on the sequel. If for whatever reason it doesn't work out, then I will wrap this story up a bit more so that it doesn't leave you hanging. :]