Stolen From My Eyes

Beginning's End

The soothing black darkness was perfect for slumbering, she thought contently. She felt she could sleep forever, and that would be just fine. And it would be, except for one thing.

Every now and then she became aware of movement and talk happening around her. It was enough to seriously annoy her. Didn’t they understand she needed this? How rude of them to disturb her.

During one such occurrence, something very interesting happened. She felt that someone was standing very close by, perhaps leaning over her. There were a few murmured words, but she didn’t catch them. Those were quickly forgotten, however. Because something was pressed against her lips; something so soft, and so tender that it could only be lips.

She was unable to respond, of course. But then she felt that familiar tug as the lips pulled away, and she waited impatiently. Hadn’t she remembered everything?

It would seem that this one thing had eluded her mind; but now, thanks to the gentle kiss, it was accessible. Up until now all her memories had been in a sort of order, from when she was young right up until she had the accident that landed her in River Oaks. This one seemed to be have happened before her mother’s death.

The moon was out, shining down on the little hidden pond on the Grimm property. Elise and Gerard were lying next to each other, hands under their heads as they stared up at the stars. “It’s beautiful,” She said breathlessly.

Gerard turned his head to gaze at her for a moment. “They’re okay,” He dismissed them. “I know something far more lovely, far brighter.”

Even in the darkness a faint pink could be seen coming to Elise’s cheeks. Quickly her eyes caught his. She opened her mouth, but then just as quickly closed it. What could she say to that? That it was not she that gave the stars a run for their money, but him. How often had she longed to tell him these things? Far too much. And not once had she ever actually confessed how she felt.

And so she was amazed when he turned towards her and propped himself up on one elbow, still gazing fondly at her. “What would you say if I told you I could take you away from him,” He asked carefully. “That I could always protect you and keep you happy?”

“Then I’d ask when I should pack my bags,” She said with a gentle laugh. “Where are you going with this, Gerard?”

In response, he wrapped a hand underneath her head and leaned down towards her. And he kissed her for the first time, but certainly not the last.

Wondrous things were happened, Elise thought. Gerard kissed her nose, and then her forehead, before grinning down at her. Then he seemed shy as he began talking again. “Your mother says…that if you will have me,” He murmured. “That she will gladly give her consent.”

“Her consent to what?” Elise asked, wide-eyed. She thought she knew, but she wanted to hear him say it. Because it couldn’t be true unless he said it.

He played with a strand of her platinum hair, twirling it around his finger nervously while he avoided meeting her eyes. She gently detangled his hand from her hair and turned his face to hers. Looking at her, his eyes seemed to harden with determination. He stood quickly, pulling her up with him. She was laughing, but quickly quieted as he got down on the ground before her.

“I’m going to do this the right way,” He said, a giddy smile on his face. “Elise Grimm, will you marry me?”

With a shocked gasp her hands flew up to her mouth. Then with a squeal of excitement she launched herself at him, knocking them both over to the ground. She swatted him over the head lightly, and smiling as she realized his arms were wrapped around her. This felt right, like how it should always be. “Yes, of course I will. What took you so long to ask?”

His head tilted back and the most wonderful laughter met her ears. And she laughed with him, feeling exhilarated and free. Once they quieted down, they just lay there, enjoying each other’s company. “Elise?” Gerard whispered.

“Yes?” She answered back, just as quietly.

He smiled at her. “I love you.”


Elise had often wondered if there was a memory such as this lying buried somewhere in her head. The joy she felt at knowing it was true was indescribable. She knew, and always known, that Gerard was hers, and she was his.
♠ ♠ ♠
And this officially concludes Stolen From My Eyes.

This story was so much fun to write; it was also really awesome hearing from the readers. It's been a fun ride, and I thank all of you embarking on it with me.

Look for the sequel, Endless Night Time Sky, soon! :]