Stolen From My Eyes

Dark Corners

Behind the doorway was what appeared to be a tower room. It was round with, decorated with old, plain striped wallpaper. The floors were hard wood, but mostly covered by beautiful, although slightly dusty, rugs. There was a pretty white rocking chair in the middle with a small table next to it. Light, cheery old curtains covered an arched window. Against one wall there was an old roll top writing desk. Gently sliding it open, she saw it was stocked with pens, paper and various other art utensils. A couple small book cases held books on various subjects, in many different genres. And a feminine full-length mirror added a roomier feel to the place.

Elise stepped in front of the mirror, getting a good look at her reflection for the first time. She smoothed down a portion of her white blonde hair, staring into the sea-blue depths of her own eyes. She wasn’t displeased by what she saw; a fairly attractive young woman. But the haunted look in her own eyes made her turn away with a small shudder. It made her wonder just what it was that gave her that look. And for the millionth time she wished she could remember everything.

Her eyes moved back for the mirror for another glance of their own accord, but her entire body froze. There, in the shadows next to one of the book cases stood a figure, a man clothed in black. But it was his eyes that so caught her attention – they were an intense hazel color and they seemed so very familiar. Whirling around, her breath seemed to be knocked out of her as the room proved to be empty. Again she looked in the mirror, but there was no one there.

With a gulp she backed out of the room to the staircase, closing the door harder than she intended to and hurrying down the staircase. Mrs. Everly was waiting at the bottom, an eager expression on her face. “What do you think of it, dear?” She asked excitedly.

Elise had carefully composed herself on the way down. She really didn’t want to disappoint Mrs. Everly, and despite the weird occurrence the room really was wonderful. And so she put on her brightest smile and answered with, “It’s absolutely lovely! Can I go back when I want?”

“Yes, yes! I was so hoping you’d want to. But it shall be our little secret, okay? That used to be where I escaped to when I was your age. Think of it as your own little haven when you just need to get away.” Mrs. Everly said, laying a motherly hand on her shoulder and smiling dreamily.

She let out a surprised laugh when Elise threw her arms around the kind nurse. “Thank you so much. I don’t even know what to say!” Excitement and wonder coursed through her.

Mrs. Everly insisted on lunch, and so Elise gave in to the promise of a grilled cheese sandwich and French fries. After the meal she felt sleepy, so she went back to her room. But sleep would not come. Restlessly she paced, glancing out the window every time she passed. Then she stopped in front of the night stand and pulled open the drawer, taking out the picture of her parents.

Tracing a finger longingly over their faces, she let a deep sigh escape her. Lying down on the bed, she kept the picture in her hand, never removing it from eye sight. Perhaps if she looked at it long enough, she could remember…

Elise woke with a start, realizing that she had drifted off. The room had darkened, signaling dusk. Glancing over sleepily, she noticed the picture was still clutched in her grasp. Sitting up, she tried to smooth out the wrinkles she had put into it. She reached over and turned on the bedside lamp and looked again at the picture. “I wish I could remember you.” She murmured. “I’ll see you someday soon, Father.”

“Your father isn’t a very good man.” A voice interrupted the wistful silence.

With a small yelp she jumped out of bed, backing up into a wall. “Whose there?” She hated the quiver in her voice.

Out of a darkened corner of the room stepped a figure. “Don’t you remember me, little princess?”
♠ ♠ ♠
A little shorter than the other chapters, but it was necessary. I wonder who it could be in the shadows? :]