Stolen From My Eyes

Waiting Game

Eventually Mrs. Everly found Elise sitting up there in the rocking chair, a look of deep contemplation on her face. By then the book was already hidden, pushed in among the other books on the shelves.

“I see you’ve already had breakfast.” Mrs. Everly stated, eyeing the empty dishes on the table.

Elise barely nodded in response, and then seemed to rouse herself. “That was quite awhile ago. I was wondering if perhaps I could have a blueberry scone and some orange juice.”

The nurse nodded vigorously, only too happy to make sure she was eating enough. She took her leave and Elise was left alone with her thoughts once again. One thing was really bothering her, and she had been sitting up here for an hour now thinking about it. How in the world had he known that memory had come back to her?

No logical explanation came to mind, and she tried to stay away from the illogical ones. That was all she needed; crazy thoughts to go along with her missing memory. If only she knew for certain when Gerard would make an appearance again, she thought wistfully. And even when he did, there was no guarantee he would give her any straight answers.

She was startled when she realized she didn’t really mind. In fact, she just wanted to see him again, to gaze into those startling eyes of his. A blush crept over her face and she tried to quell the thoughts.

Too soon Mrs. Everly had returned. “What do you have planned for today?” She asked conversationally.

“Oh, I was just thinking of relaxing up here, maybe doing some reading or sketching.” Elise tried to sound a little tired. “It really is peaceful up here.”

“That sounds wonderful, child.” Mrs. Everly agreed. “But perhaps tomorrow you should go outside for a bit. Some fresh air might do you some good.”

After promising she’d at least take a stroll through the gardens the next day, she hurried the nurse out. And then, after sitting back down with sketchpad in her lap and pencil in hand, she realized she did have an inspiration to draw.

Following the lead of her pencil and hand, she set to work. A little while later she was massaging her hand and looking down at the finished product with a mixture of awe and embarrassment. It was a strangely well drawn portrait of Gerard, from the shoulders up. She noted that somehow she had drawn his eyes just right, though there was no color.

Elise stood and walked over to the window, gazing with unseeing eyes at the beautiful grounds below. For some reason she had thought that if she came to this room he would come as well. But she had waited for hours and still no sign, other than what was left on the chair well before she even arrived.

She finally focused in on the scenery outside and realized that she had been staring at the labyrinth. With all the strange things that had happened, she had completely forgotten about it. Instead of taking a stroll through the gardens tomorrow, she would attempt to solve the maze. Maybe it would take her mind off of her mysterious yet somehow familiar stranger.

A low rumble from her stomach signaled it was lunch time. Not wanting anyone to see the drawing and asking her questions about it, she set it on top of the table after removing her empty scone dish. She decided today she would eat in the cafeteria instead of being a recluse and eating alone.

By the time she had finished eating, her crushed hopes were feeling a bit better. Though she had eaten in the cafeteria, the few other patients in there had sat elsewhere. It made her feel lonely, and she realized that she was mostly alone, with the exception of Mrs. Everly and her stranger.

With a heavy heart she went back up the tower room. There really wasn’t anything she felt like doing, but she figured it would be better to go there than to retreat once again to the confines of her room.

She shut the door behind her quietly and thought about what she would do with the drawing. Should she hide it away somewhere or maybe give it to him as a gift, a peace offering? But when she approached the table, she realized that the decision had already been made for her.

The drawing was not there anymore. In its place sat one lone wrapped chocolate in the shape of a heart. Somehow she didn’t think Mrs. Everly had been the one to remove it.