Stolen From My Eyes

Uneasy Appointment

Sleeping was beginning to become a problem. Though Elise had barely slept the night before, she found she wasn’t the least bit tired. It was as if the little chocolate had sent a shot of electricity jolting through her. Her heart quickened at the thought of him visiting her again that night. For hours she lay tossing and turning and being generally uncomfortable. And then the excitement ebbed away and she fell into an untroubled, dreamless sleep.

Too soon it felt like someone was shaking her shoulder, trying to wake her up. She mumbled incoherently in response, trying to feebly push the person away. “Wake up, Elise! You have to meet with the director in an hour.” The overly optimistic voice of Mrs. Everly greeted her ears.

That certainly got her attention. She sat straight up in bed, eyes wide. “Why do I need to meet with him?”

“He needs to do an evaluation to see how you’re coming along. This will happen a few times; he’s the only one who can sign your release papers, so he has to be sure you’re well enough.” She explained. “Now up you get.”

Elise scrambled around, showering quickly and getting dressed, choosing casual but nice clothes. She wasn’t exactly sure why she felt so nervous; maybe because it was up to him to let her go home. Even the excessively cheery Mrs. Everly was unusually subdued, leading Elise to the director’s office with hardly a word the entire way.

With an anxious nod from the nurse, Elise knocked shyly on the door. “You may enter,” A man’s voice called out.

She shuffled in, closing the large, heavy door behind her with a final thud. The office she had stepped into was large. There were shelves lining the walls, filled with books and all sorts of curious things. And then her eyes came to rest on a man sitting behind a polished mahogany desk: the director.

He had a full head of salt-and-pepper hair, and a neatly trimmed beard. His eyes were a no-nonsense steel blue. “I’m Dr. Hayward, director here at the hospital.” He said unnecessarily. “Please, have a seat. I’d like to talk for a few moments.”

Elise did as requested, perching herself on the edge of a very uncomfortable straight-back chair. It took quite a bit of will power not to fidget under the director’s penetrating gaze. “So, how do you like River Oaks so far?” He asked, giving her a smile that didn’t quite reach his eyes.

She supposed it was meant to make her feel more comfortable but in fact the smile had the opposite effect. “It’s very lovely,” She answered, hoping she didn’t sound as nervous as she felt. “And my nurse, Mrs. Everly is so helpful and makes me feel welcome here.”

If she was going to have to answer questions, might as well put in a few good words for the nurse. Dr. Hayward scribbled something down on a pad of paper and then turned his attention back to her. “Have any of your memories returned?” He asked seriously.

For a moment she wondered just how much she could tell him. But his stern, unkind eyes made her mind up. “Yes, I have.” She replied calmly. “Two, actually.”

“Oh?” He seemed surprised for a moment. “Could you describe them to me? If they aren’t too personal, that is. And please include where you were and what you were doing when they happened.”

“Of course.” She agreed. “The first one came when I was walking down the main staircase. I very suddenly remembered the accident that landed me here. I was paralyzed, unable to move for a few moments. Luckily Mrs. Everly was with me.”

He nodded absentmindedly, writing away furiously before again giving her his undivided attention. “And the second one?” He inquired.

She took a deep breath, and lied. “I was young, maybe five or six. And my father was reading to me what I assume was my favorite bed time story. This one came to me as a dream, while I was sleeping. I’ve no idea why that particular memory came back, but it made me so happy to be able to remember something of my father.” It was so easy to switch Gerard with her father; she wasn’t ready to share him yet, maybe not ever. Especially to this unfeeling man who she was disliking more and more.

Dr. Hayward nodded his head in sympathy. “I understand. It makes perfect sense. How are you feeling overall? I’m sure you’re somewhat disoriented from the lack of knowing your past.”

She bit back a rude retort; after all, this was the man who would have to sign her release papers. “Surprisingly well. I am optimistic about making a full recovery, doctor, especially with the help of fine people like yourself.”

His chest swelled up slightly and he chuckled good-naturedly. “There’s no need for praise, Miss Grimm. We’re all only doing our jobs. But I am glad to hear that everything is going well. I would like to meet again with you in a week or so. Mrs. Everly will of course let you know when that would be.”

Elise rose, taking this as her cue to leave. “”Good-bye, Dr. Hayward. It was nice meeting you.”

He waved distractedly at her, his attention focused back on the paper he had written on. With a deep breath she turned and exited the room with grace, though inside she was steaming. For whatever reason she didn’t trust that man, couldn’t put a finger on why. But she knew that she would never ever tell him about Gerard. Somehow he would try to say it was all her imagination, and then she’d be stuck here even longer. That was unacceptable.

Mrs. Everly was waiting impatiently outside the room and swooped down the moment Elise reappeared. “How did it go?” She asked.

“Well, I suppose.” Elise shrugged, then changed the subject. “I believe I promised I would get some fresh air today. I thought perhaps I would give the labyrinth a go.”

All questions about the meeting were forgotten as Mrs. Everly remembered her own request. “Excellent! Shall I make you a lunch to take with you just in case?”

“Yes, I think that would be a good idea.” Elise agreed. “I need to go change into more comfortable clothes as well.”

Half an hour later, Elise stood before the entrance to the maze, a lunch sack in hand. With an excited smile she took her first step in, wondering what lay ahead.
♠ ♠ ♠
So sorry for the delay. I was having some computer issues. But it's here now, so I suppose that's what counts. Comments fuel my creativity. I'm totally serious. ;]