Stolen From My Eyes

Passing Notes

It was a little disconcerting the way his attention was so fixed on her, and she couldn’t remember seeing him blink. Slowly she pulled out a sandwich, offering him half. One side of his mouth quirked up for a brief second. “No, thank you. I’m not hungry.” There seemed to be something amusing about the whole thing.

Shrugging, she bit into the sandwich and watched him back. But he was relentless, not backing down in the least nor uttering a word. With a sigh, she realized she would have to begin. “I know your name now.” Elise stated, though of course he already seemed to know that.

He nodded, as she expected he would. “The book,” She said suddenly. “How did you know to leave that out, that I would remember that particular memory.”

There was a silence. “I didn’t,” He said at last. “But I hoped that if I read it to you while you slept, maybe the memory would come through in your dreams. And I was fairly certain it had.”

“You were in my room?” She didn’t feel as alarmed as she sounded. Not wanting to pursue that line of thought any further, she continued on with the questions. “What did you do with my drawing?”

Finally he looked away, bowing his head. “I apologize. I hope you weren’t upset.” He sounded sincere, still not looking at her. “It’s just, I saw it and I couldn’t help myself. It was so remarkable, almost as if I’d been imprisoned on paper. I- I had to have it.”

He glanced up at her quickly. “Of course, I can return it if you so wish. It is yours, after all.”

Elise was taken back by how ashamed he seemed by the whole thing. She didn’t really think the drawing had been that good, but she didn’t mind him having it. “No, it’s alright. I had planned on giving it to you anyway, Gerard.” She said truthfully.

The sound of his name coming from her seemed to visibly startle him. “What is it?” Elise was a little alarmed.

“You said my name.” His voice was faint, and his eyes were far away. Then he seemed to shake himself out of it and looked moodily at the ground. “I should go. I’ve been here too long already.”

“Wait!” She cried, and when he looked at her expectantly she blushed. “I had just one more question. The other night, when you first spoke to me. You said my father wasn’t a good man.” A nod from him encouraged her. “My memory, just now…it confused me greatly. He was so harsh and bitter towards my mother and I. But why is it that he’s put me in the best care possible, with hope that I’ll make a fast and full recovery?”

Gerard’s smile was so like that of a predator that she shrank back a little, forgetting her sandwich. “That is the question, isn’t it?” There was a dark amusement in his voice. “But it’s not my place to answer it. In time, you will answer it yourself and finally see the truth.”

And in the blink of an eye, she was alone with her lunch, staring around in confusion. “When will you visit again?” She asked aloud, not expecting an answer.

When you regain your next memory, came a whisper that was almost too faint.

Of course. She realized that every other time she had seen or had some sort of contact with him, it had been after she regained a little bit of her past back. She thought back to what he had said about reading to her. So it seemed he was helping her along - but why? His intent could be for his own cruel purposes, but somehow she didn’t think this likely. For unexplainable reasons she trusted him, despite his odd way of appearing and disappearing in the blink of an eye.

With her lunch finished, she decided she had had enough of the maze for one day. It took her a little while to find an exit. While she was walking back towards the hospital, a thought occurred to her. Perhaps if she left him a note somewhere, he would respond. That way if a question happened to pop into her head, she wouldn’t have to wait until the next memory to ask it.

Excitement rushed through her as she hurried up to her room. She surveyed the space with a small frown. There wasn’t a good hiding place to be had. But then she smacked herself on the forehead, feeling like an idiot. The tower room, of course!

Once inside she carefully closed and locked the door behind her. She found a piece of paper inside the writing desk and carefully started writing a short message:

Dear Gerard,

I was wondering if perhaps you’d write me back, should I need some answers from you before your next visit. It would make me feel a great deal better, having someone to talk to.

Sincerely,
Elise


She re-read the note, hoping she hadn’t shown too much emotion. It wouldn’t do to give him the absurd impression that she had some sort of…crush on him. She cleared her throat uncomfortably, putting the pen away and folding up the note neatly. Now, where to put it…

Her eyes landed on her childhood book, and she thought of the note he had left her in it. It was as good a place as any. She put the note inside the front cover and laid it casually on a shelf.

Then, with great effort, she trudged back to her room. Now all that was left was to wait.
♠ ♠ ♠
Not sure exactly how much longer the story will be. I do know there are at least three more memory sequences, not to mention a surprise twist. The comments have been very encouraging; I'm so glad that others are enjoying this story as much as I am enjoying writing it.