Bogeyman

feed

The once still night air had now been disturbed. The second death in such a short space of time had sent shockwaves through the pack, as everyone gathered around Aled Phillips as he cradled his dead mate in his arms. The faint sound of whispers echoed around the crowd, as each person debated what could have happened. Did Aled do it? Was he responsible? Did she kill herself? Accident? Or was it some unknown sinister force, picking them off one by one. No one was sure. No one knew the facts, all they knew was that another of their kind had been killed, and someone had to take the blame.

Sean stayed rooted to the spot he had come to a halt in. His entire body was clammy with a thin sheen of sweat. Beads escaped his pours and trickled down the side of his face. He felt cold at the sight of the dead girl, her blood smeared all over Aled’s hands and neck. Her lifeless body simply laying there, the soul sucked out of it completely.

Aled let out another chilling scream of pure emotional agony. Hot tears streamed down his cheeks as he looked down at the girl. He smoothed her hair down, whispering things to her, kissing her forehead sweetly. He sobbed, holding her close to him. “No, no, no,” he mumbled, shaking his head.

“Get out of my way!” The sharp, strict voice of John Butler cut through Aled’s sobs and the hushed rumours circulating the crowd. John pushed his way to the front of the audience, and glanced down at Aled, who let out another painful sob, holding his mate closer to him.

At the sight of his sorry state, John’s face softened. He held Aled in high regard after rising to the challenge and doing as he was told. He also held the girl in high regard, as she adapted so well to their way of life. She took to drinking blood like ducks take to water. She needed no lessons or direction. The perfect member of the pack.

“Aled, I’m so sorry,” John shook his head, “she didn’t deserve this. Nobody does, but especially not her. And I promise you, we will find out who did this and get our revenge.” He spoke quietly, soothingly. Before his sharp tone returned to address the crowd, “All of you, be careful. I don’t want to see anymore of our blood spilled. Stay together, don’t go off by yourselves and keep your wits about you. If any of you have any information about either deaths, see me as soon as possible.” He motioned for two of his henchmen to take the girl’s body away to be buried, much to Aled’s dismay, as he cried and protested, until they were out of sight with her bloody mess of a corpse.

The crowd began to dissolve, everyone going off in small groups to finish the night’s feed, or carrying on doing what they were doing before the commotion occurred.

Gavin Butler was standing across the crowd from Sean and Ian. His eyes held a knowing look about them and he exchanged glances and a nod with Ian.

“Watkins knows what happened to her,” Gavin stated, loud and clear.

Aled, still in a heap on the ground looked up at Ian. His eyes desperate. Before Sean could react, he’d gotten up and flew across to Ian, grabbing his shirt collar with both hands, shaking him. “You know? Watkins you fucker why didn’t you say anything?!”

“It’s not up to me to say anything. If I do, it’ll be me next,” Ian said, calmly.

Aled scowled. “I don’t fucking care about you!” He screamed, “just tell me who killed her! Did they kill Burrough as well? Is it planned or random attacks? Watkins, fucking tell me.” He shook Ian again.

Annoyed, Ian slapped Aled across the face, pushing him away. He straightened out his shirt and shook his head at the pair of them. “Butler’s lying to you, Aled. I don’t know who killed her, and if I did, it wouldn’t be my place to grass. I’m sorry mate, but she’s dead, move on.” He swept away, wiping his nose on the back of his hand as he did so.

Aled turned to Sean. “Do you know?”

Sean swallowed hard and looked around to see Ian still walking away, in no way ready to defend him should Aled attack him. “Um.”

“He doesn’t. Smith knows nothing, Aled. Watkins is your man,” Gavin cut in, sending Sean a small nod.

Sean took this as his way of escape and he turned away from them, running to catch up with Ian. “Yeah, cheers for leaving me with those two. Real nice.”

Ian stopped in his tracks. “Don’t start turning into a cocky shit, not now. Your neck’s on the fucking line, and mine probably will be in about five minutes.” He carried on walking, leaving Sean behind him.

“So was it Matt that did it?” Sean called after him. He wanted the answers. At least if he knew, he’d know who to avoid and what to look out for. Matt had some sort of fascination with him and that chilled him to the bone. Just the thought of becoming part of his twisted army frightened Sean.

Ian turned and shrugged. “Haven’t a clue, mate. As a guess, I’d say yeah, but you never know do you?”

Sean carried on walking to catch up with Ian, the pair of them rounding a corner in silence. It was better that they stay as a pair rather than alone. Sean knew he had to toughen up. He’d have to get smart, and he’d have to improve his fighting skills. Tonight had taught him that maybe Ian won’t always be there to have his back, pull him out of the deep end, ready to jump in front of him and block the first punch. He needed to embrace his supernatural abilities, rather than despise them. Just for now, at least, until these deaths stopped happening and all became well again.

“Well, well, well,” A smirk danced across Ian’s lips as Sean looked up to follow his gaze. Sitting on the wall outside her house was the same girl the pair of them had saved a few nights ago. She was wrapped up in a big winter coat, a scarf dangling around her neck. She looked down the road, before her gaze met Ian’s and she nodded.

The pair of them walked over to her, as she pushed her hands deep into the pockets of her coat. Her breath clouded before her. “Hey.”

Sean narrowed his eyes. “Thought I told you to stay safe?”

She shrugged. “I’m sitting on the wall outside my own house. What’s so dangerous about that?”

“You know why it’s dangerous.”

“Oh, Sean, shush, let a girl take a few risks every now and again. I mean, she did let us monsters into her room. She even let one of us use her shower facilities,” Ian flapped his hand at Sean, rolling his eyes in the girl’s direction.

Sean stared at the girl, taking in her delicate features. The way her hair could be straight, if it wasn’t for the flicks in the ends. Her eyes were a dark green, and her lips were full, kissable. She was pretty. There was no denying that.

“But on a more serious note, shit’s gone down, so you should really go inside, darlin’. Wouldn’t want anyone to ruin that pretty face now, would we?” Ian smirked, pulling Sean out of his daydream.

She nodded, completely under Ian’s spell. The pair of them watched her wander up the path and into the house, hearing the click of the front door lock.

Ian turned to Sean, a grin on his face. “She’s the one, mate.”
“The one?”

“The one you gotta feed from.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Yep. It's been a while. University has been mental, and I've lost all desire to write fanfiction. But I really want to finish this. So updates may be far and few between, uni work and stuff permitting. But stick with me, this will be finished someday.