Twisted Wonderland

Chapter Three: Place to Stay

Luckily, just as Cheshire left, I saw another woman walking by. This one, wasn’t as ridiculous.
She was rather small, and had wild, light brown hair that reached her shoulders with a pencil carefully placed on her right ear. Her shirt was a bit too tight, showing off her lovely curves, and was a light blue, which complemented her snow white skin. Wasn’t there any lady here that wore skirts? Her pants were dark blue, and were also very tight. I was surprised, for a woman that short, she had provocative legs. They weren’t as long as the other, crazy woman’s though.

She looked like if she were in a hurry, because she kept a quick pace. I walked over to her, and when she noticed me a look of alarms crossed her face. Again, I was stunned at how lovely she was. Her eyes were large and light brown, framed with long lashes, like my sister’s. Her nose was curved gently like a princess’ and her lips were rosy pink like her cheeks.

“Um, do you mind pointing me to the nearest Inn?”I blurted.
She looked at me like if I were crazy,” There are no Inns in New York. Would you like a hotel instead? There’s one a few blocks from here.”
I gazed at her kind eyes, which reminded me so much of Lorina’s, and it took all my will not to cry.
She sighed in exasperation and took my arm,” Okay, you can stay in my apartment for a while, but only a while,” she tugs me with her in the direction which she came.
“My sister is going to kill me,” she mutters under her breath.
What is an apartment? My head is spinning at this new place. New York? I’ve never heard of it! My heart is also leaping with gratitude and what this young lady is doing.

“Thank you for your kindness. I do not know what would have befallen me!” I say, trying not to cry in frustration. I feel like screaming! I want an explanation!
She looks at me with pity and says,” It’s no problem. My name is Lissa Bliss.”
I bowed my head and said,” I am Alice Liddle.”

As we walk, I notice that the early morning fog is gone, now replaced by millions of people talking noisily to square devices on their ears and even more large, things on the streets that do honking sounds whenever a person walks in front of it.

We kept bumping into people without even saying excuse me, but they didn’t seem to mind. Every sound was a blend of voices and every smell was the smell of intoxicating fumes. It was like a maze. And my guide was a person I’ve never even met before. Lissa is seems very at ease with me, even though she doesn’t know me either.

Everyone that walks past us stares at me, and I notice that I am the only one with a dress and bodice. All the women here either have pants, or an incredibly high skirt with tall shoes. I felt extremely out of place, and scared of my surroundings. If only Cheshire were here. He always seemed to put me at ease with his riddles and grins. Just then I felt something furry in my right leg.

I glanced down and saw Cheshire in his stray cat form. I smiled down at him, so relieved to see him, and continued following Lissa with renewed determination. There is no time for self pity tears. I must blend in with the crowd if I ever wish to be back home with Lorina.

“So, what’s your story, Alice?” Lissa asks her voice touched with curiosity.
“…My Story?” I ask, confused by her inquiry.
“Yes. Everyone has a story, but most stories are really boring. Although, you make me extremely curious,” she smiles warmly at me as we walk.
“Well, it’s quite a long one. Shouldn’t we wait until we arrive at your residence?” I really didn’t want to talk about what has been happening to me. I was afraid I might start crying, and people were already staring at me enough as it is.
I thought she was going to keep pressing me for the answer, that’s what I would have done, but she surprises me and nods understandingly. I kept liking this Lissa more and more.

Finally, Lissa started to slow down and turned in the direction of a glass double-door. There was a man dressed in a red officer’s suit that smiled warmly at Lissa and opened the door for her. How nice.

“Thank you, again Eddie,” Lissa smiled at him.
“No problem, miss. Ahh, who’s your friend?” his beautiful sea green eyes narrowed at me.
“I’m Alice Liddle. How do you do?” I gave him a small curtsy.
He glanced at Lissa with a look that said ‘Is this lady real?’ and looked back at me. Instead of saying something nasty he said in a polite voice,” Hello, Mrs. Liddle. I am Edward Jackson, but you are free to call me Eddie,” he smiled and let me pass.

Lissa and I passed the doorman, Eddie, and entered the lobby. Everything was so pretty! The floor, the walls, and the ceiling, was made of marble and shined. There was beautifully arranged furniture for people to lounge in, and I spotted a reception desk with a nice looking old man. Lissa walked over to him and greeted him for a few minutes. I took the opportunity and looked down at my reflection.
“I look like a stray dog!” I whispered in sheer humiliation. No wonder people kept glancing at me!
“No, you look like a girl who’s been struck by lightning and who is being followed by a stray cat,” Cheshire’s purring voice came from beside my leg.
I couldn’t stop myself from giggling. Lissa looked at me questioningly but said nothing.

Our feet click-clacked on the marble floor as we approached another gold door. Lissa pressed a shiny silver button glued in the wall.
“What is that?” I asked filled with curiosity.
“It’s an elevator,” Lissa answered without looking at me. She thought I was mad! Well…I probably was.

I heard a ‘ding!’ and the gold doors opened, revealing a small room with mirrors. I followed Lissa hesitantly in. She pressed another button with a PT on it, and the doors closed. Then, we were suddenly moving. I gasped and willed myself to sink in the wall. It felt like if we were going to crash on the ceiling! What have I gotten myself in to? I shut my eyes tight and waited for impact. Instead of hearing a head-smacking crash, I heard a cheery‘ding!’ and the doors opened.

Lissa put a small hand on my shoulder as I opened my eyes,” You ok?’ she asked, worry in her voice.
I only nodded.
I heard Cheshire chuckle.

I followed Lissa and heard as the elevator doors closed behind us.
“Remind me to take the stairs next time,” I mutter to Cheshire as I see a door with the words STAIRS on it.
“What is the point of being somewhere you’ve never been before, if you do not explore,” he said wisely.
“Because I do not wish to die,” I mutter dramatically back.
I see him roll his golden eyes in irritation, which looks kind of amusing, since he is a cat, so I giggle.

The hall was a miniature of the lobby; same walls, same floor, same ceiling, but there were only a few elegant chairs. Lissa stopped in front of a cream colored door. She opened it and gestured me inside.

The place was very pretty. There were large windows everywhere, making the space bright and cheery. There was an elegant, wooden, small table with a flower vase right beside the door, and Lissa put the books she was carrying down on it. I walked in to the medium sized living room. There was a big, white couch right in front of some kind of silver, flat rectangle that was stuck to the wall. Under the rectangle was another type of wooden furniture that was filled with books. On the left side of the flat rectangle were a set of stairs.

But it seems like the living room was divided in half, because in the other end of the space, very close to the windows, was a large wooden table and chairs for eating. I turned to the right side of the apartment, and in the back of the living room/ dining room, there was a small, lovely kitchen. The appliances were silver, which struck me as odd, but the counter was made of marble.

I kept walking curiously to the side of the kitchen and spotted a hallway. I went in and saw one, bright red door with a yellow sign that said “DO NOT ENTER, UNLESS YOU HAVE FOOD”. I rolled my eyes. How lovely. I’m going to be living with a pig.
On the opposite side of the door was a one painted light blue, and it was half opened. The only thing that stopped me from going in was the sound of Cheshire’s hiss.
At the end of the hall was a medium sized bathroom, and beside it was another door for the laundry room.

I walked back out and saw Lissa sitting at the couch with her head in her hands. I walked to her hesitantly and said,” Is everything all right? You have a lovely home.”
He looked up at me and smiled,” Thank you. It is a very beautiful place,” she stared thoughtfully at the windows and got up with a sigh.
“Well, let’s get you some dry clothing. I think you’re my sister’s size. I’ll be right back,” she got up and went to the hallway.

“I wonder if Lissa has noticed that I’m here,” Cheshire chuckles and goes under the white couch. I smile. That naughty cat.