Twisted Wonderland

Chapter Five: The Rabbit

I never knew someone could get so upset. After what seemed like an eternity, Brianna stopped squealing and asking,” Where did you get it? I WANT ONE!”. I had to laugh, because Cheshire literally ran up the stairs and hid in our room.

“Oh my gwad, Alice! You are so, lucky! He is so hot! But, how can he be a cat?” Brianna gave me a glass of water and sat beside me in the couch, her legs tucked in under herself.
“I have no idea. I mean, before, he was just an ordinary cat, but just a few hours ago…,” I trailed off. What day was it anyway? Panic made its way up to my face as I unsteadily asked,” Brianna what date are we in?”
I waited for her so say ‘What do you mean? It’s September 22, 1897, silly!’ but instead she said,” It’s the 5th of June, the year 2009!” then she asked with confusion,” Why do you ask?” Oh god!

The room started to move. How could I have skipped all those years? No wonder everything was so strange…
“Whoa! Cheshire! Your mistress is looking at the ceiling all funny!” Brianna screamed with worry and she helped me lie down on the couch.
“Year? 2009? Ah, lord,” I mumbled.
Then, Cheshire’s golden eyes were on me with worry,” Alice?”
I can’t explain why, but that stupid concern on his face made me angry beyond belief.

Before I could stop myself I grabbed the throat of his shirt collar and whispered in his face with venom,” No. I. Am. Not. FINE.”
His eyes widened with alarm and something else and he said,” Now, Alice, what are you doing? Let go of me please,” he smiled uncomfortably.
I grinned coldly and, for some reason, pulled him towards me, and threw him over the couch.
I got up and started walking over to him screaming,” OKAY ALLMIGHTY CHESHIRE CAT! GIVE MEYOUR WISDOM, FOR I AM PREPARED TO HEAR IT! WHAT HAPPENED?” I put my foot on his stomach.
Cheshire started to laugh but thought better of himself and said,” You haven’t figured it out?” and he grinned.
“WILL YOU STOP ANSWEREING MY QUESTIONS WITH MORE QUESTIONS!” I screamed in his face and pulled the earring on his ear.
“OOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCH!!!!!!!!!!” he yelled and hissed. Then he glared at me and said,” I’ll tell you if you get off me.”
Before I could answer, he grabbed my ankle and made me fall on top of him.
Then, Cheshire rolled, so he now was over me and grabbed my hands with his to pin me down on the floor.

The flood of anger left me as soon as I saw his eyes. They were, once again, filled with the same passion I saw earlier, in our room. The anger was the replaced by something much more powerful, that I could not decipher. My whole body went warm, and I felt my neck and face blush scarlet. We stayed like that longer than needed, until we noticed Brianna clear her throat.
“I’m still here you know,” she said, her eyes on fire.
Then, Cheshire winked at me before standing up.
I stood up indignantly and said to Brianna,” Yes, it’s quite impossible not to notice your attitude.”
She held my gaze for a moment.
How could I be so rude? These people opened up their home, and made space in their lives for me. And yet here I was, snapping at one of them. No matter how annoying Brianna got, she was still rather fun to be around.

I sighed and said,” I apologize for my rude behavior, Miss Bliss. I know you’ve opened up your home to me and,” I glare at Cheshire before returning my gaze to Brianna,” my companion; it shan’t repeat itself,” I give a small, apologetic look.
Brianna only stares, with her hands on her hips. She looked at me defiantly.
“It better not,” then she sighs and hugs me.
My mouth was a huge O.
“I know I have a bit of an attitude…but I can be your friend, too,” she whispered in my ear. She sounded…sad?
I nodded in silent amazement at her gentle side. She seemed rude, and almost always had an attitude, but now I could see that she could be a kind friend. Now I see the similarity between her and Lissa.

Brianna cleared her throat and pushed me away gently.
“Right. Well, that is the last hug you will ever receiver from me,” she blushed and walked away to her room.
I turned and saw Cheshire looking at me. No matter how long I was with him, his essence always made me wary and nervous. His red shirt clung to his muscles perfectly, making it aware how powerful he truly was. His dark jeans were ripped on some parts, revealing patches of skin; it made me wonder how many fights he got in to.
He was leaning lazily against the kitchen counter, his hips on the edge of it and he had his arms crossed. I think Brianna was right…he is very handsome. His dark hair fell over his gold eyes as he stared at me shyly.
It suddenly occurred to me that he was not only just wisdom and strength; he was also gentle and caring. After all, Cheshire was the one that guided me and protected me against all odds in my insane Wonderland.

Before I even knew what I was doing I walked over to him and said,
“I apologize for…,” if I was going to start fitting in, I might as well start talking like everyone else.
I sighed and said,” I’m sorry I threw you like that…and I’m sorry I pulled your earring,” I giggled at the memory and added,” Even if it was kind of fun.” I liked talking this way better, it was much more comfortable.
He looked at me warmly and said,” I guess you don’t have that much of an attitude. And you are forgiven.”

We kept looking at each other for a long while. I was feeling so happy and relieved that he was here! My Cheshire cat! Even if I didn’t want to admit it, I missed him so much! And he looked very different in human form.

I was so happy I threw my arms around him in an enthusiastic embrace.
Then I said in the crook of his neck,
” I am so very glad to see you again, Cat, even if I don’t admit it to myself sometimes.” I never noticed how good he smelled! It was very manly, yet subtle; it smelled like him. I smiled at the thought and closed my eyes.
Cheshire hugged me back hard and placed his nose on my neck.
“I’m even gladder to see you, sweet, sweet Alice,” he whispered very softly and, I’m absolutely sure, that he started purring.
I sighed happily. I’m really not sure why, but what he said made me all warm inside, and filled me with happy things.

Our small happy moment was broken by the sound of the ticking clock. I’ve never been bothered by it before, but for some reason, it was louder than before, like if someone were making it go faster.
I let go of Cheshire’s neck, but he still held on to my waist. I placed my hands on his chest. I looked up to his face and knew something was wrong. His eyes were alert and his face was focused on something.

“What is it?” I whispered curiously. I was only a little bit scared…only a little.
“I’m so terribly sorry! Oh, my, my, I’m so sorry I’m late! Oh, I do hate being late,” I heard the familiar stressed, agitated, and nervous chatter of the White Rabbit.
I moaned. Who else has escaped my imagination?

Cheshire let go of my waist swiftly and walked over to the rapidly ticking clock over the stove. Suddenly, I had someone’s hand on my shoulder. I gave a small squeal and Cheshire turned back in a flash.

“Oh, I apologize for startling you, dear Alice,” he drew his hand back quickly and looked at his feet.
I turned around and I could barely recognize him.

He was the same height as Lissa, which was about 5 feet. He looked about my age, but he had white shaggy hair that fell over his light brown eyes. I noticed that, if you try to look through his glasses, his eyes had a small bit of red.
His yellow long sleeved, buttoned shirt looked clean and fancy. If it weren’t for the red vest over it I could imagine Brianna making fun of him. I saw the gold chain of his pocket watch hanging out of his clean jean’s pocket. I loved his red converse. He was very well dressed. In fact, I think he looked cute.

“It’s all right Rabbit,” I smiled in spite of myself. I think I’m going mad! I really missed him! I missed his chatter and his nervousness.
“I know I might sound crazy, but I’m glad to see you, Rabbit,” I gave him a small hug.
He was blushing crimson when he said,” Well, ahem, thank you Alice, I-I am glad to see you as well,” he fidgeted nervously with his chain.
Cheshire stood casually next to me and said,” You are late indeed, Rabbit. What kept you?” he grinned his half moon grin.
“I-I-I had things that needed taking care of after, I mean, before I left. I apologize, I seem quite nervous,” he smiled shyly.
I sent a warning glance to Cheshire and smiled kindly to Rabbit.
“It’s all right. Sit down, please. I shall introduce you to our hostess momentarily.”
“Thank you, Alice,” he smiled and sat down on the couch.

Fortunately, Brianna never came out of her room. So, we heard Rabbit tell us the latest news of Wonderland. It was kind of awkward considering that Wonderland was in my imagination.

I glanced out the large windows and noticed that night had fallen, but it seems like if it were still day time. There were people dressed for special occasions, and the lights of cars, buildings, and street lights, made the city glow.
I heard the door start to unlock itself and was very glad to see Lissa enter the room.

She put the keys on the small table and got startled at seeing us. I stood up and hugged Lissa.
“Hello Lissa! I’m sorry if people seem to keep popping out of nowhere,” I smiled apologetically.
She looked confused but she said” No problem. Where’s Brianna?”
“Brianna is in her room, but she was very helpful,” I said quickly, not wanting to make Brianna seem bad.
“Well, this is my friend Rabbit,” I motioned to Rabbit sitting timidly.
“How do you do?” he asked politely.
“And you already met Cheshire; my cat,” I glanced at Lissa’s expression, because she only remembered him as a cat.
Her mouth opened to say something, but nothing came out.

Instead she sat down beside Rabbit and poked his hair.
Then, she finally murmured,” Its white…”
We all broke out I laughter, which made Brianna poke her head out of the hallway.

“I want to laugh too!” she glanced at Rabbit and said to me,
“Damn girl! You’re a boy magnet! We should go to the mall together!” then she came out of the hallway and in front of Rabbit.
“Hello there, cute little dude!” she said excitedly.
Rabbit nodded uncomfortably and blushed.
“That’s Rabbit, Brianna,” I said, on the verge of laughter.
“Right, hello Rabbit,” she said again, her eyes shining.
“Hello, Brianna,” Rabbit muttered and blushed.
Then Brianna grabbed one of his cheeks and starts squealing,
“Oh my gosh, you’re so ADORABLE!”
Then, we all laughed.
Except Cheshire.

When everyone stopped laughing, Cheshire locked gazes with Rabbit and said, in an incredibly serious and eerie tone,
“So, who dies first, Rabbit?”