Twisted Wonderland

Chapter Eight: Clues

During the Hatter’s stay though, Brianna glared at him and tried to avoid him as much as possible, even if the Hatter was doing the exact opposite.
At one point Brianna started to literally hide behind Lissa.

“Would you please, Brianna? I have to call the police, and I have to cancel with Edward,” Lissa sighed sadly and I think her eyes started to go watery.
Brianna looked sadly at her and hugged her.
“It’ll be all right, sis. We’ll figure this out.”

They broke apart, and I could see in Lissa’s eyes a new confidence and purpose she didn’t have before. I also saw in Brianna’s eyes a kind of gentle, caring look towards her sister. I realized that something must’ve happened to Brianna to make her so…well, different. Because I see now in her eyes that this isn’t who she was before. But as soon as that look crossed her face, it left.

Cheshire came beside me and asked gently,” Are you all right?”
For a moment I thought the tattoos he had on his arms were moving, but it must have been a trick.
“Yes, I’m just a bit worried is all,” I smiled at him and took his hand.

It was that simple. Just a simple touch, a simple word, a simple smile, any of those things he did made me feel so blissful. Like right now, we were just holding each other’s hands. It was just skin touching, but it felt like so much more. It felt like if my breathing was mirroring his, I felt like if the rise and fall of my heart belonged to him, and I felt like if my very soul wanted to caress him in every possible way; just that simple touch, made my whole body shiver with electricity and pleasure.

Cheshire looked at me with eyes that said “You are my world”, and they seemed to shine more than they ever had.
“Dear Cat, have I ever told you how lovely that color looks on your eyes?” The Hatter was sitting beside the head on the desk, with his hands on his cheek and his elbow on his knees, looking at me and Cheshire curiously.
Brianna covered her delicate lips with her hands and started to giggle uncontrollably.
The Hatter smiled triumphantly at Brianna, and his dark eyes seemed to glow.
Cheshire rolled his eyes and, to my distaste, let go of my hand to go to Lissa.

“Who was he?”
“He was my closest work friend, William Johnson. He was a remarkable friend. We always partnered up when the boss gave us something too hard to write. He was a good friend,” Lissa said this sadly, and her eyes seemed far away, like if lost in a memory.
Cheshire gently laid a hand on her shoulder,” You should call the police.”

And that is exactly what she did. Of course she had to act her panicked voice over the phone, but she did a good job. After Lissa did the call, Cheshire, the Mad Hatter, and the Hare decided to leave. Brianna and I couldn’t leave because people have seen us come in the building. Besides, Brianna was not going to leave her sister’s side for a minute.

The sound of sirens coming closer to the building announced the police’s arrival at the New York Time’s Offices. We heard men scream orders in a booming voice. Brianna gave us a huge grin and thumbs up right before the police burst through Lissa’s door.
The police took us away from the crime scene as fast as possible, and then we each endured an eternity of questioning.

***
“Al right girls, you are free to go,” the police officer said and gave us a look of sympathy.
“My deep condolences for your loss, Lissa…You seem like a nice girl,” Lissa smiled sadly.
“In fact…would you like to go out to dinner some time? No police business at all,” he gave her a shy smile and a hopeful gaze.
Brianna looked like if she wanted to punch him.

“Oh…well, thank you for the offer…but…I’m kind of holding on to someone else,” Lissa had her eyes on her lap when she said this.
The police officer gave her a sad nod and walked out of the room.

“WHAT THE HECK WAS HE THINKING!?” Brianna exploded and waved her fists in the air.
“He was asking you out?!? AFTER THE DEATH OF ONE OF YOUR FRIENDS?!”
Lissa sighed and started to walk away from us.
“Well, maybe you should ask him out when his mom dies! ‘Hey dude, I know your mom died, but hey! Let’s have sex! Maybe that’ll cheer you up!’” If a human being could randomly set on fire, Brianna would right now,
“BRIANNA WOULD YOU SHUT UP!” Lissa turned around and screamed that in her face.
Brianna’s face was the look of complete outrage.
“Well sorry for trying to protect you!”
“You weren’t protecting me! You were screaming for a stupid reason! He asked me out, so what? Eddie did to! And I stood him up because of this bullshit!”

They stood there, glaring at each other. The atmosphere was getting hard to breathe in. I was scared that by every breath I took they might scream and hit something.
Suddenly, Lissa turned around and walked out of the office we were in, leaving Brianna with teary eyes.

I started to wall towards her but she said,” Don’t bother. Let’s just go,” she wiped her eyes with her hand and walked away, without waiting to see if I followed.
Even at nighttime, large crowds of people are swarming around us as we walk.
We finally got to the building, and I saw Eddie standing there, but he seemed different.

He usually stood with a casualness that was delightful, but now he was slouching and looking at the floor with a sad and guilty expression on his face. Lissa, who was way in front of us, started talking to him, but we didn’t hear the words. We could tell that she was upset, and on the verge of tears. Eddie just nodded and said something that made Lissa suddenly go in.

When we passed Eddie Brianna glared at him and went in without his help.
“Are you all right Eddie?”
He nodded absently and opened the door for me.
I put a gentle hand on his cheek and said,” Lissa really likes you.”
But I think instead of making him feel better, his eyes went dark and wet.
I took my hand away quickly and walked in.

What could’ve happened that everyone is suddenly fighting? Everything seemed bleak. Even the elevator ride didn’t seem much scarier. Today was just full of numbness. I just wanted to go in Cheshire’s arms once again.

When I entered the penthouse, Brianna and Rabbit were eating take-out (as usual), Cheshire was reading in the kitchen, and I heard Lissa’s door close from the hallway. I suddenly saw the Hare running down the steps.

“I found a fly! There is a fly on the terrace!” He was jumping up and down like a rabbit, and his eyes were darting all over the room.
“That’s nice,” Brianna said sarcastically,” maybe you’ll feel the air too.”
“Oh! Maybe I will! I really do hope so!” he said excitedly and ran back up the stairs.

Cheshire looked up from his book and rolled his eyes.
“Is Lissa in her room?” I asked him.
“Indeed,” he looked at me and nodded.

I walked in the doorway and opened Lissa’s room. I’ve always been curious to see her room, but I’ve been even more curious to see Brianna’s room.
Her room was a lovely shade of turquoise, but what caught my attention was the huge shelf on the wall in front of the door. It was made of wood, and it had so many books in it! I doubted that Lissa could’ve read all of them. On the left wall, beside the shelf, was a desk with many papers, and more books on the small top shelf. There were small, neat towers of books on the floor on the left side of the desk that reached up to my knees.
On the right side of the huge shelf was Lissa on her bed, reading a big hardcover book.

I cleared my throat and Lissa looked up. Her hair was pinned up again with a hair clip, but as usual, some hairs were on her face. I’ve never seen her with glasses before. She looked like a reporter or a librarian. She changed into her blue pajamas and was sitting upright reading.

I sat on the edge of her bed and said,” You really like books.”
She smiled and said,” I’m a bibliophile.”
My smile matched hers.
“Listen Lissa…about what happened back there in your office..”
Lissa held out a hand and took off her glasses.
“I know what I saw. But what I don’t know is why I saw it. I don’t understand what is going on. I was on my way to work when suddenly you appeared and random crazy strangers keep appearing and are now sleeping under my roof. Not to mention the fact that Edward despises me now.”
“I don’t understand what’s going on either, Lissa. I was just walking in the rain and saw Cheshire and got struck by lightning. Then I appeared in a strange city with strange people. And now people are dying. I don’t understand why I’m here, but I think I must save someone. I think Cheshire brought me here to save you and Brianna, but I don’t know from what.”

We gazed at each other for several minutes until Lissa said,” I believe you Alice. We have to do something soon or else something terrible is going to happen. Good night,” Lissa hugged me and put on her glasses once more to read.

I got up and closed Lissa’s door silently as I left.

***

When I walked out I saw Rabbit go in his room and wished him good night. Cheshire wasn’t in the kitchen and Brianna wasn’t in the living room anymore. I assumed she was in her room and went upstairs.

My original plan was to go to my room and be cradled in Cheshire’s arms, but I changed my mind when I saw Brianna on the terrace with the Hare.
I opened the door quietly and slipped out into the cold night air.

Brianna was glaring at the Hare when she said,” Do you mind leaving, please? I have some work to do.” The Hare looked at her and nodded really fast.
What did Brianna do for a living anyway?

Suddenly the Mad Hatter appeared behind her with a black rose.
“I offer the beautiful flower, another, less pretty flower,” he grinned and bowed slightly handing out the flower to her.
Brianna took it and blushed,” Thank you.”
“You’re welcome, love.”
The Mad Hatter stood up right and towered over Brianna, but his dark eyes were soft and filled with adoration for her.
Brianna was looking up to him and her eyes mirrored his.

Suddenly Brianna said,” I have to work.”
“Maybe I can help you,” he grinned and disappeared.

Brianna looked around, and when she did, I noticed that the Hare disappeared as well. Suddenly the Mad Hatter appeared on the edge on the terrace, one false move and he falls. Brianna screamed and ran over to him.
“What are you doing!? You’re going to get killed!” then she gasped and looked at him.

He was standing casually, leaning on his cane, looking intently at Brianna. He was posing for a picture. Brianna took the camera from her neck and snapped a few pictures. The Hatter disappeared and appeared again posing once more. This happened a few times and Brianna laughed.

“What makes you laugh so?”
“Nothing. This is fun,” Brianna smiled warmly at him and they continued on.

Finally, The Hatter came up to her and kissed her cheek softly.
Brianna smiled and took off his hat and put it on her head.
They laughed until the Hatter said,” I must go, love. I will see you again soon. In the mean time, keep my hat warm while I am gone,” he winked and disappeared.

Brianna stood there, gazing in the direction in which he disappeared, in a somewhat dreamy way. Her eyes were sparkling. I don’t think I’ve ever seen her this way before.
I turned around to leave, but I felt her glare pierce my back like a knife. I turned around slowly, suddenly feeling very cold, and, just as I suspected, she was with her hands on her hips glaring at me.

“Did you enjoy our little show?”
“N-no, I mean-“
“Shut it, Alice. I hope you enjoyed it because it’s never happening again! I won’t let my heart get so carried away again,” Brianna’s eyes got watery as her eyes softened.
Her arms went droopy and she sighed sadly.
“You couldn’t sleep?” I asked, trying to relieve the tension.
“No…I never sleep…I usually come up here to work.”
“Taking pictures?” I walked towards her.
“Yes. I take pictures and sell them to commercial ads or whatever,” Brianna started walking ahead of me to a small door on the terrace, which I’ve never noticed before.
“This is my dark room. I decided I wanted to use this room instead of the guest’s room because I prefer to work under the stars…and I like the night.”
Her eyes seemed distant as we walked in the room. It had a strange orange glow and there were many pictures in small amounts of water, and others were drying, pinned up on a laundry line.

The pictures were stunning. But there was one picture that caught most of my attention.
I think it was taken the first day we meet the Mad Hatter, because I recognized Lissa’s desk in the background, but the focus of the picture was The Mad hatter himself. His hat was lowered over his eyes, so they only thing you could see was his softly sculpted nose, and his soft pink lips. He was holding a blood red rose to his nose, as if he smelled it. I noticed that a drop of red was oozing down the rose’s stem, and there was a spot of white. The rose must’ve been painted.
His gloved hands held the rose with gentle care up to his nose.

I looked at another one beside it.
This one was exactly the same as the other one, except that the Hatter was now looking fully at the camera. I think that after the first picture Brianna took this one when he was looking.
He was still holding the rose, but it was farther away, and his deep brown eyes were filled with such deep warmth and gentleness that I wondered if this was the same Hatter I knew.

“I love his eyes in that picture…” Brianna whispered next to me.
I smiled shyly and said,” I think you love him.”

I thought Brianna was going to slap me, but instead she looked at me with guilt.
“I think I do too….but I can’t. I will never love a man ever again.”
“Why?”
“Because once…I was so foolish…I thought love would prevail, and I thought love is what mattered most, but in the end, it just destroys you.” Brianna looked so sad and vulnerable I wanted to hug her.
Suddenly she looked at me fiercely and said,” I will not be destroyed that way ever again. I will never feel so helpless again. I promised myself that. But most of all I promised myself that I would be stronger for Lissa. That’s why I am the way I am.”
“What happened?” I asked gently.
Brianna looked away and stayed silent.

After a long pause, she finally said in a whisper,” Something I don’t want to remember.”
After that she turned her back to me, so I said good night, gave her a hug, and quietly left. I’ve never seen her so vulnerable. It made me think differently about her…

***
I opened the door to the terrace and felt the cold air of the A/C hit me like stone. Why is it so cold? Hastily I walked to my room’s door and opened it.

The whole room was filled with roses. Bloody red roses everywhere. The bed was drowned in them, I thought the floor was made out of roses, the windows were draped with roses; everything. What is this?
I picked one up. My pulse throbbed in my veins, I could hear the loud drumming of my heart, and I could feel it jumping in my chest.
The rose started to drip.

One drop of redness flowed from the stem up to my finger. It was warm. I smelled the red spot. It was blood. The rose in my hand kept oozing blood, and as it kept oozing, the rose got white. The white roses were painted with blood.

I screamed. My entire room was filled with blood. The rose fell from my hand. This was a sign. I knew who was doing this.

Suddenly I was wrapped around someone’s arms. Someone’s arms I knew very well.
“Alice shhh, what happened?” his voice sent ripples of warmth down my spine.
“I-I came in the room, and found these everywhere. Cheshire, they’re white roses painted in blood.”
I looked up at him, and I knew he got the message.

I felt my eyes water, and felt a warm tear trickle down my cheek. How could I let this happen again?
Cheshire brought his lips to my cheek, and gently brushed of the tear with his soft lips. I could feel the warmth of his breath, so near my mouth, I wanted to faint.
But instead I grabbed his neck and pulled myself closer to him.

Our lips were inches apart. Our breaths rapidly reaching each other’s faces.
“Alice..” he whispered.

Then suddenly, a scream cut through the night, like an assassin’s blade.
♠ ♠ ♠
HALLELUJAH! I had trouble with this chap >_<