Tre's Angel

There Must Be An Angel... Playing With My Heart

Two Weeks Later

It was freezing standing here Tre thought, not like the last time they’d been here. Now there was a freezing, biting cold wind blowing and he didn’t want to be here. He’d been standing here for ages, well it felt like ages but it probably wasn’t. Everyone else had gone back into the house and had left him to it. He looked up at the sky watching the colours change, the clouds turning a slight orangey colour as the sun began to set onto the sea.

The last time he had been in this position Angel was with him, it was their wedding night and they’d made love just after.

He’d never forget it.

She was with him now but not in body, in a china urn that he held in his hand. They’d sprinkled half her ashes under the tree where she wanted to be buried, each of the family saying a few words about her. He had known her the shortest time out of all of them yet he had said the most.

And now it was time to sprinkle the rest of her over the cliff edge into the sea at sunset.

Just as she had wanted.

He didn’t want to do it because it was final, the final act of saying goodbye to his Angel but it was what she had wanted and so he’d do it. Just for her.

Standing up and opening the urn the sun began to lower into the sea and he tipped up the urn and emptied its contents.

Angel.

The silvery grey dust like substance blew slightly to one side as Tre whispered.

“I love you sweetheart, have sweet dreams, I won’t forget our time.”

Then he fell to his knees sobbing uncontrollably.

**

They saw him of course because they were watching him. Mike, Billie and Ron. They ran to him when he fell, concerned for their friend.

He hadn’t been the same since it had happened two weeks ago.

He’d lost his love and he was hurting like hell.

They’d been there for him of course but he had to do this for himself, grieve for his Angel, remember their times together and move on and all the while they would be by his side taking care of him and looking out for him.

**

Saying goodbye to Angel's parents was hard because they were a part of Angel and he’d cared so much for them too but now it was time to go back to America, to go back to his family, his children and tell them all about his beautiful wife.

She’d left him everything of hers. She didn’t have much at all, clothes, CDs, a few paintings and ornaments that she liked, books, her own books of poems and short stories. There were so many of them and he was going to read each and every one however long it took he was going to do it.

He remembered the funeral, so many people were there but it was kind of a blur to him that was until they played the song at the end, the song she insisted on having played and he was quite sure it was aimed at him. It was a Eurythmics song and he’d never forget the words as long as he lived.

No one on earth could feel like this
I'm thrown and overblown with bliss
There must be an angel
Playin' with my heart, yeah

I walk in to an empty room
And suddenly my heart goes BOOM
It's an orchestra of angels
And they're playin' with my heart, yeah

Must be talkin' to an angel
Must be talkin' to an angel
And they're playin' with my heart, yeah

And when I think that I'm alone
It seems there's more of us at home
It's a multitude of angels
And they're playin' with my heart, yeah

Must be talkin' to an angel
Must be talkin' to an angel
And they're playin' with my heart, yeah


**

Tre was glad he was home, amongst his family and friends, this would help immensely.

So much had happened since he’d left for this tour and he’d remembered Frankito asking him what would happen if he fell in love with a lady, fell in love with someone and lived away from him. Well he had fallen in love with the most perfect lady, she was irreplaceable but she was no longer here so now Frankito had him for keeps.

Tre rang on the doorbell even though he had a key and he could see Claudia’s shadow coming towards him through the glass door.

One click of the lock, the door was open and she was there. She looked sad for him he thought. She was a good woman and he had loved her once but a different love to that of Angel. He loved Claudia still and was glad she was Frankito’s mother and his friend.

“Tre,” she whispered. “I’m so very sorry,” she said looking at him but also not sure of how much to say.

He placed his bag down in the hall then he heard footsteps and turned.

“Hey you,” he said as Frankito ran into him. He lifted his little boy up into his arms and held him close to him. Its what he needed at that moment, to be comforted. Glancing up he saw Ramona coming towards him and she hugged him too.

“I’ll go and fix us some drinks,” said Claudia walking behind him and into the kitchen.

“Hey dad, come through here, Mom bought us a new Playstation 2 game this morning she said you’d like it too,” and he kicked his legs to be let down onto the floor then took Tre’s hand and dragged him through to the living room where he told his dad to sit on the sofa next to Ramona while he set up the controllers and handed him one.

Three minutes later Claudia was carrying a tray of drinks through into the living room when she stopped at the door. She could hear Tre’s voice. She peeped her head round the door, the Playstation was not yet on and Frankito held both controllers in his hands.

“Come here you,” he said to Frankito and pulled his son closer to him on the sofa. On one side of him sat Ramona and on the other Frankito, he had his arms around both his children and was talking to them intently.

“I need to tell you both something,” he said. “When I was on tour I met someone.”

“A lady?” Said Frankito, his face downcast knowing that this would happen.

“Yes a lady, a beautiful lady.”

“Do you love her? Asked Frankito, his eyes wide studying his father’s face.

“Yes… I…I do,” he said.

“But dad, you said that wouldn’t happen,” said Frankito in a sulky voice.

“I know and I didn’t believe it would happen. But happen it did but the thing is I fell for this lady and… we got very close.”

“What’s her name?” said Ramona

“Her name is Angel,” said Tre.

“That’s a pretty name,” said Frankito fiddling with the Playstation controllers.

“Yes. It’s a very pretty name, a pretty name for a pretty lady.”

Angel.

“But I need to talk to you about her,” said Tre looking at his children in turn. “I want you to both know all there is to know about her.”

Claudia slipped quietly away from the door, tears brimming in her eyes she walked back to the kitchen while her ex husband told his children about his Angel, Tre’s Angel.