Tre's Angel

Not Long

“Tre she’s snoring,” said Ron as he rushed into the hotel room and recognised the sound that Angel was making, he recognised it from years of listening out for her when they were younger.

Tre was as white as a sheet then threw his hands up to his mouth.

“Oh my god I thought she was… I thought this was it Ron,” he said looking scared out of his wits.

Ron came and put his arm around him hating Tre to be like this. Was it ever going to end? Well yes, it would end; they just weren’t sure when.

**

“Hey have you been out of bed?” Said Angel as Tre got into bed beside her. “You’re legs are chilly,” she said turning to him and indicating that she wanted a cuddle.

“Yeah, I had a cramp in my leg and just went for a little walk out in the corridor,” he lied.

“So has your cramp gone now?” Said Angel snuggling into his chest.

“Hmmmhmmm,” said Tre nuzzling into his wife’s fine hair.

Soon Angel was asleep, gently snoring this time, not like those other snores that had scared Tre. While she was asleep Tre cried. He couldn’t help it, the tears just came and he couldn’t do anything about them.

**

“So the flight is tomorrow over to Ireland. I shall be away for one day and one night and be back lunchtime the day after,” said Tre but he didn’t want to go to this gig, he was scared and didn’t want to leave Angel. He wanted to take her with him but knew that she couldn’t fly.

“Tre its OK. Adrienne is staying here and Mum and Dad are here to keep me company, a few of the girls I used to work with are coming up for the day and we’re having lunch. I’ll be fine, promise,” said Angel reaching out and touching his cheek knowing that he didn’t want to leave her but she wanted him to carry on as normal. He couldn’t let his fans down on this and she wouldn’t want him to.

“If you’re sure. If you feel at all unwell, please call me,” said Tre.

“Tre. I’m fine but I’ll call you I promise,” she said running a finger over his wonderful eyebrows then he jiggled them and made her laugh.

“Come on, come and help me pack, then I’ll have a quick shower.”

“How about we take a long shower…. together,” Angel said then he made her laugh as he jiggled his eyebrows once more.

**

It was late, after the Ireland gig when Tre called, almost midnight but she’d waited up on purpose to speak to him before she went to sleep.

“Hi baby,” said Tre.

“Hi you,” she said, “I’ve been waiting up for you.”

“Well, not much longer and I’ll be with you, tomorrow around lunchtime,” said Tre.

“Tre I can’t wait and I love you so much,” said Angel.

“I love you too Angel. Not long.” He said into the phone.

“No, not long Tre.”

Then he was gone and she snuggled down onto his side of the bed, into his pillow that smelt of him, hugging it tight and falling asleep thinking of her man.

**

The flight was delayed and Tre was anxious. They’d been in the airport lounge for two hours, the weather was holding them up and he was pacing up and down.

“For god sake Tre sit down,” said Billie who did have his eyes closed but kept peeping out of one eye every now and again, watching his friend pace.

“Come on dude,” said Mike who was reading a guitar magazine, “there’s nothing we can do, calm down will you.”

“I can’t, I’m going shopping,” said Tre and he walked off towards a jewellers where he browsed in the window for ten minutes.

Billie and Mike glanced over at Tre keeping an eye out for him; he was at the jewellers across from where they were sitting in the airport lounge.

They watched him disappear into the jewellers.

**

“Are you OK?” Said Adrienne as Angel waved goodbye to her parents at the hotel door. They’d had quite a busy day, all of them out for lunch with some of her old friends from work, Shelley and Rosie who still couldn’t quite believe that Billie Joe’s wife, Adrienne was actually out with them and they also couldn’t believe how down to earth she was and how she was more beautiful in real life than in magazines. It had been great to see them and they’d had such fun, even with her parents there.

But Angel was extra tired and Adrienne had noticed this.

“I’m actually feeling extremely tired all of a sudden,” said Angel as she turned to face Adrienne.

“Come on,” said Adrienne, “lets get you up to your room, Tre will be back very soon. Have a nap before he gets here.”

“I’ll need it, you know what Tre’s like, I can’t keep up with him sometimes Adrienne,” said Angel.

Adrienne didn’t answer, just guided her new friend over to the elevator but before they reached it, she felt Angel grab onto her arm, then watched, like in slow motion as Angel fainted clean in front of her, a gentle, dainty faint if ever there was such a thing.

**

They ended up being two hours late and Tre was pissed off. He couldn’t get a signal on his phone and couldn’t get hold of Angel and was desperate to see her, to see how she was, his beautiful Angel with those blue eyes he adored.

They were on the way back to the hotel in the small bus that the management had provided for them when Tre checked his phone; it had a signal, at last. He dialled Angel’s number but to his disappointment found that her phone was switched off.

Billie’s phone rang but he didn’t get to it as it was wedged somewhere at the bottom of his holdall.

Then Ron’s phone rang and he picked up.

“Hi Adrienne was that you calling Billie just now, he couldn’t get to his phone on time. Oh. Oh my god,” said Ron; looking anxious and aware that Tre was looking over.

“OK Adrienne,” said Ron, whispering, his face draining of all colour.

“Tre we need to get to the hospital, its Angel, she’s been taken there.”