Sequel: So Close To Perfect

Mad World

No I am not ashamed of wearing pink!

“Frank... FRANK! You’ll be late for school!”

I unwillingly pulled myself out of bed and grabbed some clothes off the floor to wear; Black skinny jeans, red shirt, Misfits’ hoodie, black, skeletal, fingerless gloves and a pink and white studded belt. No I am not ashamed of wearing pink!

I walked into the lounge to find mum making a sandwich for my lunch and a grumpy looking Kat, my older sister.

“Do you think you could take Frankie to school today? He’s a bit late this morning,” mum asked her apologetically.

“Like always,” she replied with an aggravated sigh.

This happened every morning but she still had to make big deal about it. It’s not my fault I can’t drive yet! I’m only 16; she’s 18 so she thinks she can boss me around.

I hurriedly applied some black eyeliner around my eyes and styled my hair with gel. I could see Kat’s disgusted look in the reflection of the mirror but after three year of those glares I learned to ignore it.

It was a bit humiliating turning up at school in a hot pink car covered in stickers of untalented pop singers like Stephanie McIntosh and Paris Hilton. Kat must find it humiliating driving around a freak like me.

Damn it, I’m here. I stared at the hell-hole otherwise known as school while hastily getting out of the pathetic excuse of a car. I don’t know how I could have lived through school without my friends!! I saw them huddled together under the tree behind M block and I ran towards them.

Mikey was my best friend, Ellie was my girlfriend and there's also Stina and Brian.

I’m in a band by the way; nothing spectacular. We don’t get much practising done seeing as the majority of us were failing half our subjects and need all the study we can get.

I’m back-up vocals and back-up guitarist, Mikey’s vocals, Ellie’s on bass, Stina’s lead guitarist and Brian’s our drummer. We don’t even have a name for our band yet.

The bell rang and we all groaned. I grabbed my bag and headed off to English with Mikey and Stina. The rest of them had science.

I have two major obsessions. One is music, mainly rock; the other is film and performing arts. I went to an audition for a drama school in New York in August. Now that October was coming to an end and I hadn’t heard from them I had given up on that obsession and focused more on music.

After school I walked to Mikey’s place. I stay at his place every afternoon because I hated seeing my broken family. My sister had turned into a brainless bimbo to try to ignore the problems we all have. Dad was hardly ever home and we all knew what he was up to, although none of us admitted it. This was killing mum. Every night she would sit on the couch watching the front door with a bottle of wine in her hand as the clock ticked away. If dad didn’t come home all night the alcohol just wouldn’t do.

As I reached Mikey’s house I was greeted by his mum, Mrs Way. I smiled at the kind lady and made my way to Mikey’s room.

After about an hour of loud music and Playstation, Mrs Way knocked on the door.

“Your mum just called,” she told me as she entered, “She says she wants you home as soon as possible…she sounded a bit flustered.”

Mikey and I exchanged worried looks.