Tales From Another Broken Home

17

“Charlie? Charlie we’re back, see I told you we’d come back!” I smiled at her as Gerard and I walked through the doors.

“I heard you shouting Frank…..why were you shouting?” she asked me.

“We couldn’t find where to go to sign the papers and I got pissed off because I want to get you home!” I told her.

“I can’t go with you, they won’t like it if I go with you!” she said fear coming back to her once dead eyes.

“They can’t get you anymore Charlie,” I told her just wishing she would realise that.

“Come on babe, lets go home,” Gerard said holding out a hand to her.

She didn’t take it though.

She just stood up and looked at it.

Gerard pulled his hand back, hurt lacing his features.

I smiled encouragingly at him and walked out the door, both Gerard and Charlie following me.

“Excuse me? But where do you think you’re taking her?” Officer Dillon questioned me.

“Home,” I stated bluntly.

“We haven’t finished questioning her yet, she can’t leave!” he said.

“Does she look like she’s in any state to be question?” Gerard asked him.

When he didn’t reply Gerard and I both smirked at him and started to walk away.

“You’ll have to sign her out!” he called after us. “The reception is right by the entrance, I take it you can find you’re way there?” he continued

“Yeah, thanks!” Gerard replied walking in front of Charlie and me.

I looked over at Charlie but she kept her eyes firmly on the floor.

What happened to her? What happened to make her so….so broken?

This isn’t the Charlie we know, she would never look at the floor for anyone or anything.

She always walked with her head held high, was always ready with a quirky remark for someone that tried to shoot her down.

What could have been done that would break her so badly? And who are this “they” she keeps talking about?

The car journey home was silent.

I drove while Gerard sat in the back with Charlie. But she made sure she was sat as far away from him as possible.

Words can’t describe how hurt I am right now.

How utterly soul shattering it is to see her like this.

And do you know what the worst part is?

I have no idea how to fix this.

Sure I may have seemed cocky when I was talking to Gerard. I may have seemed certain that we could help her. But in all honesty I don’t think we can. I don’t think we’ll ever get our Charlie back. And that is killing me.