Tales From Another Broken Home

3

*flash back*

Mark Elena and I had been out for the day; Charlie was going to come with us but got sent loads of work to do.

I entered the house with Mark slung over my shoulder and Elena hanging off my leg all of us laughing like maniacs.

“Charlie! Charlie, save me!” I called out laughing.

But instantly stopped when I saw the house.

It was wrecked, and there was a blood stain on the wall.

I instantly felt sick.

After quickly putting Mark down and prising Elena off my leg I ran through the house calling out Charlie’s name.

I couldn’t find her anywhere; all I found was smashed glass and broken furniture.

I spotted her laptop on the floor and walked over to it.

There was a document open, it was what she was working on, I was about to put it down when I noticed something at the bottom.

After reading I fell to my knees and broke down crying.

“Have a nice lonely life; you won’t be seeing her again.”

If I hadn’t taken the kids out, if I just told Mark that we would have our day out another day, maybe she would have had a chance, I could have protected her!

They could have taken me instead!

Mark came in with Elena hanging off his hand and hugged me.

“Its ok daddy, we can fix the house when mommy gets back," he smiled.

I felt a stab of pain when he said “mommy” his mommy was Charlie, my Charlie, and she was gone.

I tried to get up but couldn’t move thanks to the body racking sobs that were escaping my mouth.

“Mark, go call Uncle Frank for daddy.” I managed out, somehow pointing at my cell that was lying on the kitchen table still.

He nodded and went to call Frank as I collapsed into another fit of sobs.

*end flash back*

A stray tear rolled down my cheek as I remembered that day, I walked inside and took off my jacket preparing to get ready to attempt to sleep when my cell went off.

“Hey babe, sorry I acted the way I did, I know it was wrong of me, I don’t think Charlie ran really, I don’t know why I say these things, I love you. Eliza xoxo.”

I sighed at this text.

The only reason I really put up with Eliza’s tantrums is because she’s the only person I’ve been able to feel anything for since Charlie left.

I don’t mean that as just an intimate way, I mean in general.

After Charlie disappeared I couldn’t trust anyone, I couldn’t get close to them, I couldn’t even stand being around large groups of people I didn’t no which isn’t a good thing considering my job.

Eliza was different though for a reason I can’t explain. She loves me and I know I hurt her when I talk about Charlie.

She’s knows how much I loved Charlie and I think the fact that I still love her and haven’t ever told Eliza that I love her hurts her.

But I can’t help it. I’ve tried but I just can’t bring myself to tell Eliza that I love her. I think I do but I really can’t tell anymore.

My little talk with myself was cut short when there was a knock at the door….