No One Knows

A Birthday

"Hey Birthday Girl."

Jessie sleepily opened her eyes, to find herself staring into a pair of familiar green ones, unusually sparkly considering how early it was. She smiled as he leaned close and kissed her nose, and she wrapped her arms around his narrow waist, holding him near to her.

"Happy Birthday," he murmured in her ear.

"Thank you," she smiled, as he rolled her onto her back so that he was leaning over her, "Do I get a birthday kiss?"
"Mmhmm," he smiled, his fingers cupping her chin as he leaned down into a slow, passionate kiss, Jessie pulling him closer as her hands wandered underneath the bed sheets and down his bare back, before her fingers snuck under the waistband of his boxers.

Billie Joe grinned into her kiss, before pulling back.

"First things first," he said, "Presents."

Jessie grinned back.

"Presents? As in more than one present?"
"Uh huh," he smirked, "But you're not getting them all at once."
"How come?"
"Cause that would be greedy."

She giggled.

"Alright then," she said, "What time is it, anyway?"
"Uh... about six?"
"What?!"

Billie Joe grinned and kissed her neck.

"I wanted lots of time with you before you had to sneak across the hall."
"Well, I guess I can't really argue with that," she smiled, as they kissed again.
"So are you ready for present number one?"
"Yes."
"Okay," he smiled, scrambling out from underneath the covers, "Don't move."

Jessie nodded, rolling onto her side and smiling contentedly as she watched him crouch beside the bed and slide something heavy out from underneath. She grinned as he got back into bed next to her, holding the mysterious object.

"Okay... you can open," he said, passing it to her.

Jessie bit her lip and smiled as she tore open the silver wrapping under Billie Joe's watchful gaze. Her face soon broke into a grin.

"The complete works of Shakespeare!"
"Uh huh," he said, a little nervously, "... Do you like it?"

Jessie reached for him and pulled him into a kiss, grinning against his lips.

"I love it," she said, "You are so sweet."

He shrugged.

"Well... I'm glad," he said, "Cause that's a lot of hangovers worth of reading you have there."

Jessie giggled.

"We still haven't finished Romeo and Juliet yet."
"But I have a feeling I'm not gonna like the ending. So... let's just leave it and move on to something else. We can pretend they had a happy ending."
"They were together," said Jessie, leaning over the edge of the bed and setting the book down on the floor, "Death was the only way they could be together. So that's kind of romantic. Right? I mean... it wasn't like it ended with Romeo fucking the nurse or something."

Billie Joe laughed, as he wrapped his arms around Jessie again.

"You're right, I guess," he smiled, pressing his lips against her cheek, "I'm glad it doesn't end that way."

Jessie smiled, cuddling into Billie Joe and resting her head next to his.

"So what're we gonna do today?" she asked, absently turning his earring around in his ear.
"I think that's your call," he replied, "It's your day, right?"
"I think I want to spend the whole day with you."

Billie Joe grinned, rolling over and kissing her again.

"That can be arranged," he said.

Like Billie Joe, Ollie wasn't about to let Jessie's birthday go by without doing anything to mark the occasion. Later that morning, the three of them were sitting around the table enjoying a birthday breakfast after a round of Happy Birthday singing that had left Jessie grinning from ear to ear.

"Wow. These pancakes are even better than Billie's," Jessie commented, as she reached for some more syrup.
"Bill made you pancakes?" Ollie chuckled in disbelief, "Wow, you must have done something pretty special to deserve that kind of attention."

Jessie grinned, as Billie Joe let out a snort of laughter, which he quickly turned into a cough. Ollie gave him a strange look.

"So what d'you have planned today? Anything special?"
"Not really," said Jessie, lightly, "Just, y'know, hanging out with friends and stuff."
"Well, I hope you have a great day, Hon," Ollie smiled, "You'll be coming back here for dinner, right?"
"Sure."
"Great. Oh, by the way, this arrived for you this morning."

Ollie picked up an envelope from the kitchen unit and passed it to Jessie, who took it with a slight frown. She couldn't think of anybody that would have mailed her a birthday card. Tearing it open, she pulled out a card with a picture of a beach on the front, opened it and smiled.

"Who's it from?" Billie Joe asked, another forkful of pancake half way to his mouth.
"Richard and Xander," Jessie smiled, "It's really cool they remembered."
"That is cool," smiled Billie Joe.
"And," continued Jessie, "Xander says he's coming to some skateboard festival in Golden Gate Park in September. He's wondering if he can stop by."
"Sure he can," said Ollie, "He can stop by whenever he likes."

After breakfast, Jessie and Billie Joe headed off toward Mike's place to meet Mike and Tre, with both boys eager to wish Jessie Happy Birthday too.

"Want to take a detour first?" Billie Joe asked, as the pair walked down the street, their fingers linked together.
"Okay... where?"
"Uh... we could just go grab a soda or something down at the marina?"
"Sure," smiled Jessie, who was never going to turn down the opportunity for some alone time with Billie Joe.

Taking a seat in their usual position on the edge of the boardwalk, Billie Joe was rather quiet and contemplative as he looked out at the boats floating on the bay, absently stirring the fast-melting ice around in his drink. Jessie gave him a poke.

"What's up with you?" she asked, "You've gone all dreamy."
"Huh?" he smiled, "I have? Sorry. I was just thinkin'... I actually... there was a reason I brought you here before we went to Mike's."
"There was?"
"Yeah... I wanted to talk... about some stuff."
"What kind of stuff?"

Billie Joe looked down, his mouth skewed to the side thoughtfully, before he looked back at Jessie again.

"We found a place to live," he said, "Me, Mike and Tre. We went looking yesterday... and we were lucky. So... in a coupla months, when we get back from tour... I'll be moving out."
Jessie stared at him, feeling her breath get shaky. She couldn't get upset about this, she told herself. She couldn't. She had always known this was going to happen. He was eighteen. He had a recording contract. He couldn't live with his mother forever.

Billie Joe watched Jessie biting on her lip and took her hand.

"Jess," he said, softly, "Listen. The place is on College Avenue. Its not far from my Mom's. You can come over all the time. I want you to come over all the time... "

Jessie nodded.

"I know," she said, her voice wobbling slightly, "It's just gonna be weird... you and me not living together anymore."
"I know," said Billie Joe, "But... it has to happen. And it'll probably be better this way. I'll get on with Mom better and... we won't have to sneak around and stuff... right?"

Jessie nodded again, furious with herself when she felt tears in her eyes.

"I'm just going to miss you," she said, quietly.
"I know," said Billie Joe, putting his arms around her and holding her close to him, "I'll miss you too, you know."
"I don't want all this stuff to change," she mumbled into his shirt, "I mean... everything's been so messed up lately and I... I was just getting settled and... "
"Yeah," said Billie Joe, kissing her forehead, "But listen. That wasn't the only thing I wanted to talk to you about."
"Really?"
"No... you know, in like a week's time we leave for tour."
"Yeah," said Jessie, holding him tighter, as if it might somehow prevent him from leaving.
"Well... I've been thinking about it a lot this past week. I've been thinking a lot about you too... well... you and me... "

He took Jessie's hand and rubbed his thumb over her knuckles.

"You know... I'm having a really great time with you, Jessie."
"Me too," she said, quietly.
"And... the thought of spending all that time apart when we only just started out... you know... I don't want to do it."
"Me either," she said, unable to keep the misery out of her voice.

Billie Joe reached up and pushed the hair out of Jessie's face, and she raised her eyes to his.

"I talked to Mike and Tre yesterday," he said, "And... I talked to Andy. And I want you to come with us."

Jessie's eyes widened in shock. For a moment, she couldn't even speak, all she could do was stare at him and watch as he began to ramble.

"I mean... this is only if you want to, right?" he said, looking nervous, "I know it's like... we haven't been together long and... it's a lot of travelling around and you'll have to watch us do the same show over and over and you'll probably get sick of hanging out with me and the guys every night... especially when we'll probably spend most the time getting stoned and goofing around and-"

Billie Joe was cut off by Jessie's lips on his, the only thing the rush of excitement and relief was allowing her to do. Smiling, Billie Joe took Jessie's face in his hands as he kissed her back, aware that this kind of reaction should probably be taken as a good sign. Jessie grinned as they finally broke off, leaving a hand in Billie Joe's hair.

"That was a hell yes," she said, as if he didn't know.

Billie Joe grinned back at her, and then pulled her into a tight hug, resting his chin on her shoulder. He let out a breath of relief.

"Awesome," he whispered.
"Are you sure Tre and Mike will be okay with this? I mean... do they really want a girl hanging around?"
"Sure, they're fine with it. You know Mike and Tre, they're cool with anything. You know we always have fun hanging out together anyway. I just suggested it would be cool if you came along... and they agreed. That was it."

Jessie smiled.

"This is really cool, Billie Joe," she said, softly, "This is the best birthday present ever. I thought I'd have to spend the next two months being lonely."
"Not anymore," he smiled, "And... talking of birthday presents, I think its time for number two."
"The tour wasn't number two?"
"No... that was like a bonus."
"Okay," Jessie smiled, happily, as he reached for his backpack.
"Okay," he said, "So... you're coming on tour with an awesome punk band now, right?"
"Right," Jessie grinned.
"We can't have you with us unless you can be a rockstar too, right?"

She giggled.

"Right... "
"Which means you need to be able to play something, and we've already established you're shitty at guitar-"
"-It hurts my fingers-"
"That's cause you're lame-ass. So anyway... "

Billie Joe reached into his bag and pulled out a tambourine. Jessie hunched over in laughter as he gave it a shake.

"Awesome!" she exclaimed, "I'm gonna fit right in with you guys... "
"Of course," he smiled, "And besides, I had to find some way we could jam together."

Jessie smiled and kissed him

"That is so cute," she said, "You are so cute."
"Meh, I know," he smirked, putting an arm around Jessie's shoulders and dropping a kiss on top of her head.
"And modest," she smiled, wryly, "But seriously... thanks BJ. My birthday presents have been really cool."
"Oh... I'm not done yet."
"You aren't?"
"Nope. But we still have plenty of time. And its time to go meet the guys now."
"Okay," Jessie smiled, as they stood up, and she felt a flurry of happiness bubbling up inside of her. She wrapped her arms around Billie Joe's neck and he smiled as she hugged him tightly once again, almost unable to believe he could make her feel this way. Nobody had ever made a birthday feel this special.

"Hey! It's our new groupie!" Mike grinned, hugging Jessie when he opened his front door to see she and Billie Joe standing on the porch.

Jessie grinned,

"You wish," she smirked, teasingly.
"Happy Birthday Jess."
"Thanks," she replied, as they followed Mike into the house.

"Jessie!" Tre grinned, jumping up and hugging her as she walked through Mike's bedroom door. Jessie smiled as he handed her a long, thin package.
"Happy Birthday."
"Tre," she grinned, "You didn't have to get me anything."

He shrugged.

"Open it," he smiled.

Jessie sat down on the edge of Mike's bed, smiling as she ripped off the wrapping paper, her smile broadening when she uncovered a pair of brand new drumsticks.

"See, now you have your own sticks," Tre explained, "So you have to learn to play. And you can come over and play my set whenever you want to practice."

Jessie laughed and hugged him.

"That's awesome Tre," she said, "Thanks!"
"And now you're coming on tour you can play them whenever," Tre pointed out.
"I know," Jessie grinned, looking up and catching Billie Joe's eye, "I can't wait."

Her stomach fluttered a little as Billie Joe gave her a subtle wink, before their attention to one another was distracted by Mike.

"I got you something too," he said, thrusting something flat and square in her direction. She grinned.
"Is it a baseball?" Tre asked, with a smile, leaning over and watching as Jessie unwrapped it. She grinned as she revealed the record in her hands.
"Look for Love? What's Look for... Oh my God! Is that Billie Joe?!"

Tre laughed as Billie Joe groaned, putting a hand to his forehead.

"Mike... was there really any need?"
"Oh my God!" laughed Jessie again, "It is Billie Joe! Mike this is awesome!"
"I know," Mike grinned, "He was five. He won some contest on the radio. I have quite a few copies left for purposes of bribery and humiliation. I figured you should have one too... "

Jessie was still laughing as she jumped up and hugged Mike, before turning to an unimpressed looking Billie Joe and giving him a squeeze. She laughed again.

"I think this might be the cutest thing I've ever seen in my life," she announced.
"Let's not get carried away... " he mumbled.
"This has to be the most entertaining present I've ever had," Jessie grinned, "No offense to anyone else... "
"I'm gonna get you back for this, Mike," said Billie Joe, "And Jessie... I forbid you to play that record until you're in the privacy of your own room, okay?"

Jessie laughed and ruffled his newly blonded hair.

"I guess that's fair," she said, with a smile.

After an afternoon hanging out with the guys, Jessie and Billie Joe headed for home, taking a quick detour via Eastside Records to drop in on Eddie before he closed up for the day. He was pretty busy when they arrived, the shop bustling with customers, but when he looked up and saw Billie Joe and Jessie walking through the door, he grinned and stopped what he was doing, before walking right up to them and giving Jessie a bear hug.

"Happy birthday, Kid," he smiled.
"Thanks, Eddie," she smiled back.
"Has it been a good day?"
"It's been awesome so far," she smiled, "And check out what Mike got me."

She held up the record and Eddie grinned, looking over at Billie Joe, who was rolling his eyes.

"Billie?" he laughed, "You got any more of these? They could sell like crazy in a few years."

Billie Joe smirked.

"Thankfully, they're pretty hard to come by," he said, "The only other one I can get my hands on is owned by my Mom, and I don't think she's planning on giving it up any time soon."
"Aww," Jessie grinned, wrapping an arm around Billie's waist and squeezing him.
"Fuck off," he muttered, with a smile.

Eddie laughed.

"Well Billie," he said, "I have something that might put a smile on your face."
"Oh yeah?"
"Yeah. At your gig, I took a lot of cash from selling your EP, right? So, I have your share."
"I get a share?"
"Sure, your band do. It's only fair. You pulled in more customers than I ever had before, man. I can't take all the profit."
"Awesome," smiled Billie Joe, turning to grin at Jessie as they followed Eddie into the back room of the store.
"Just promise me you'll come back and play again," Eddie smiled, as he pulled open a drawer and began to rummage through it.
"Course we will," said Billie Joe, firmly, "This was a cool little venue to play. You should get bands in here more often."
"Y'know, I've been thinking about that too," Eddie replied, frowning as he pulled open another drawer, "Man, I have no idea where I put that fucking money, guys... "
"Don't worry about it, Dude," said Billie Joe, with a wave of his hand, "You can give it to me anytime."

Eddie glanced through the doorway to the line of people forming in front of the counter.

"Fuck, y'know, I can't look for it right now. You guys heading home?"
"Yeah," said Jessie, "Ollie's cooking us dinner."
"Alright for some," he smirked, "Well, I'll look for it when I close up and drop by with it on my way home, okay Billie?"
"Sure," Billie Joe smiled, gratefully, "That'd be great, man."
"Alright," said Eddie, slamming the drawers shut, "Oh shit, I almost forgot!"

Jessie and Billie Joe watched as he reached on top of his filing cabinet and took down a large paper bag. Then he handed it to Jessie.

"Sorry, kid," he said, apologetically, "I didn't get time to wrap it."

Jessie smiled in surprise.

"You got me a gift?"
"Sure... check it out."

Jessie grinned as she peered into the bag, before pulling out, predictably, another record. This one was a compilation of punk songs dating right back from the mid-seventies to the new stuff from the Ramones, and Jessie smiled as she turned it over to read the track listing.

"Awesome," she said, "Thanks, Eddie."
"I told you I had to get you listening to more punk," he said, "And this is the best compilation I have."
"I'm gonna be stealing this a lot," said Billie Joe, with a smile, "Good one, Eddie."

Eddie smiled.

"There's actually something else in there too," he pointed out, prompting Jessie to hand the record over to a welcoming Billie Joe and reach back into the bag. Her hand closed around a small piece of paper and she pulled it out to look at it.
"It's just a pay slip," said Eddie, "But I put it in to show you I'm giving you a raise."

Jessie gasped.

"Seriously?"
"Yeah," Eddie chuckled, "I figured you deserved it. You work harder than I do. It's only fair."
"Oh my God!" Jessie grinned, hugging him, "That's so cool! Thank you!"
"No problem," he smiled, "Happy Birthday. Now, I really have to go serve these guys. They're looking pissed off."
"Okay," said Jessie, "See you later."
"Have a nice dinner!" he called, as he wandered back to the cash register.

"Fancy helping me out at work tomorrow, Billie?" Ollie asked, as the three of them were finishing dinner that evening.
"Ooh, let me just give that a moment's thought," said Billie Joe, sarcastically, "... No thanks."

Jessie grinned as Ollie rolled her eyes.

"Laura said you'd want to see her before you went off on tour."

Billie Joe laughed.

"Laura sure has an imagination," he said, wryly, "She just wants to bully me into doing her jobs so that she can spend more time flirting with the 'Hot Barman'."
"Well... you can see her point," Jessie smiled, in amusement, "He is hot."

Billie Joe raised an eyebrow in Jessie's direction, before giving her a gentle kick under the table. She grinned.

"I didn't realize that Jason had such a fan base," Ollie smiled, "See Billie, maybe if you come help out at the restaurant more you'll get known as the Hot Waiter."
"Nice try," Billie Joe scoffed, "Maybe that would work if I actually were a waiter. But Hot Floorsweeper, Hot Glass Collector, Hot Slave... doesn't have the same ring."

Jessie grinned.

"Hot Slave," she chuckled, "I think that might appeal to some people, actually."
"Whatever flicks your switch, Jessie," Billie Joe smirked.

Ollie grinned.

"Well, Bill, it was just a suggestion. And if it got you a girlfriend, I don't think you'd be complaining."
"No... I would," whispered Jessie, under her breath, smiling as Ollie took the plates over to the sink. Billie Joe smiled back, sliding his hand into hers under the table.

Jessie gently squeezed his hand and smiled contentedly as the banter between Ollie and Billie Joe continued. It suddenly struck her, how funny it was that she could feel so happy sitting here with the two of them, and feel so much like she belonged here after the way they had been thrown together. It had been a long time since she had given a thought to the way they had started out, but casting her mind back to the day she and Billie Joe had first laid eyes on one another, in the same kitchen they were sitting in now, it seemed incredible that such an amazing relationship had come out of all that venom. She had been so desperately unhappy back then.

She looked over at the picture frame standing on the kitchen counter, which Ollie had given her that morning. Inside was a photograph of the three of them after the Green Day gig a few days before, Billie Joe was fresh off the stage with his guitar still slung over his shoulder, an arm around each of them. She smiled at how happy they looked. Ollie and Billie Joe had changed her life.

After dinner, Billie Joe announced he was going outside for a smoke, and while Ollie was busy rolling her eyes in disapproval, he beckoned Jessie to follow with a single finger, and she did.

Closing the back door behind them, Billie Joe took a seat on the bench, holding out his arm to invite Jessie next to him and then wrapping it around her when she sat down. He kissed her hair as she lightly dropped her head onto his shoulder.

"Aren't you going to smoke?" she asked, after a long moment of pleasant silence.
"No... I just wanted to sit."

Jessie smiled, lacing her fingers with his, as he rested his head against hers.

"Have you had a good day?" he asked, softly.
"Yeah," she smiled, "It's been the nicest birthday I can remember."
"Seriously?"
"Seriously," she smiled, earnestly, "Thank you."
"Well... I still didn't give you present number three. You want it?"

Jessie grinned.

"Of course," she said, lifting her head.
"Okay," he said, "I didn't wrap this... I probably should have, but yknow... "

Jessie smiled with interest as he reached into his pocket, pulling her feet up onto the bench and turning so that she was facing him. She gasped a little when he held up a necklace made out of shells and put it into her hands.

"It's gorgeous," she said, sincerely, "Billie, I love it!"
"... Honestly?"
"Yeah, honestly. This is my favourite present of the whole day."
"The shells are from Santa Barbara," he said, "I picked the best ones out of the ones you left in the car."
"You made it?"
"Yeah," he replied. Then he smiled. "See? Multi-talented."

Jessie grinned, feeling warmer than ever.

"I love it even more now," she said.
"Want me to put it on?"

Jessie nodded, smiling as he took the necklace from her hands and fastened it behind her neck, gently moving her hair out of the way. She shivered a little at the feel of his fingers on her skin.

"How does it look?" she asked him.

Billie Joe's eyes traveled over Jessie's face, down to the necklace and back up again.

"Beautiful," he said, quietly.

She smiled, as he took her hand again, then leaned in to kiss her. One of his hands went to her hair, pulling her closer as their kiss deepened, Jessie's heart beat quickening at how romantic this all felt. When he pulled away, he rested his forehead against hers and stroked her fingers in his hand.

"Jess?"
"Yeah."
"There was something else I needed to say," he said, his voice a little hoarse.
"Yeah... "
"I... you and me... I never imagined it could feel like this. Like, I never expected things to go this far. I mean... my feelings... to go this far... "
"Me either," Jessie almost whispered, the butterflies in her stomach beginning to flutter like crazy at the tone of his voice. It wasn't a tone she'd heard him use before.
"And I... I really... "

He lifted his hand and laid it against her face, bringing her to look him straight in the eyes. She noticed he looked very nervous.

"Jess, I really feel like... I... "

A crash from inside the house made them both jump, and their eye contact broke as they turned quickly to look behind them towards the back door. Billie Joe couldn't help but let out a breath of frustration as Jessie got up, but his frustration quickly turned to fear as he heard his mother yelling in distress from inside the house. Jumping up, he followed Jessie into the house, before taking her hand and pulling her behind him as he walked in front of her, a feeling of dread washing over him as he heard the voices filtering through from the hallway.

"Do you have any idea how it feels to be told you can't see your own fucking kid on her birthday? D'you know how it fees to have the cops after you, trying to make sure you don't get to see her at all?"

Jessie found herself suddenly unable to breathe, as she glanced desperately at Billie Joe, gripping onto the back of his shirt as he started purposefully towards John's voice. Suddenly, John was in the doorway, staring right at her and she found herself rooted to the spot with fear.

"Happy Birthday Jessie," he said, darkly, "We're leaving."
"We're... what... " Jessie stammered, her voice choked with fear.
"Fuck you, she isn't going anywhere," said Billie Joe, angrily.

John turned to Billie Joe and fixed him with a menacing glare.

"Don't think anything you say is going to make any difference to me," he growled.

Jessie turned to look at Ollie, who was standing behind John, looking terrified.
"John, please," she said, shakily, "Just leave her be. It's her birthday and she-"
"I know it's her birthday!" John shouted "She's my daughter, she's not yours! She belongs with me, and that's where she's going!"

As John moved swiftly towards Jessie, Billie Joe jumped in front of her, drawing himself up to his full height and glaring at John.

"I already told you!" he shouted, "She isn't going anywhere with you! She's staying here with me and my mom. It's where she belongs!"
"She doesn't belong anywhere with you, you little asshole. I know what kids like you are like, and you only want one thing!"
"Fuck you!" Billie Joe yelled, "You don't know shit about me! You only want her so that you can bully her into doing what you want! You make me sick and you'll never care about her like me and mom do!"

Jessie fearfully gripped Billie Joe's hand, pulling him backwards. Seeing him yelling at her father like that terrified her. Billie Joe shook her free and took a step back towards John.

"Get out!" he shouted, "Get the fuck out!"

John furiously lunged at Billie Joe, and Jessie cried out in fear, before Ollie grabbed John's arm and pulled him back.

"John, please leave," she begged, shakily, tears shining in her eyes, "Please don't do this... not tonight... "
"I'll do it when I want!" he shouted, shoving Ollie backwards into the table, "She's my daughter!"

With that, he grabbed Jessie's arm and pulled her toward him.

"We're leaving," he announced, menacingly, ignoring her desperate cried as he pushed her towards the door.
"No!" Ollie cried, and Billie Joe didn't know whether she was talking to him or to John as he ran forwards, pulling John's arms from Jessie and using all the strength he had to force him against the kitchen wall.
"Get your fucking hands off her!" he screamed, "And get out! I'm not letting you hurt her again, you fucking bastard!"
"Billie... " Jessie sobbed, reaching out for him as Ollie took her by the shoulders and pulled her backwards, "Don't!"

She struggled against Ollie for a moment, before her body felt weak and she allowed herself to be led out of the way, so that all she could do was watch as the anger flashed in her father's eyes and he pushed Billie Joe backwards.

"I'm not leaving without my daughter!" he shouted, "And don't think you can stop me, you pathetic little shit!"
"You don't deserve her!" Billie Joe yelled, "Mom, call the fucking cops. Now!"

John started angrily toward Ollie as she reached for the phone, but Billie Joe grabbed him and held him back.

"You aren't touching either of them!" he said, angrily.

Jessie watched in horror as John drew back his fist and aimed it at Billie Joe's face. Time seemed to slow right down as Billie Joe fell back against the wall, and she and Ollie let out a scream. Ollie rushed to Billie Joe's side, and Jessie was on her way to do the same when John saw his chance and grabbed her roughly, pushing her towards the door. She cried out in fear and pain as she gave up the struggle, allowing him to move her out into the hallway, silent tears streaming down her face. It was over. There was no way she was getting out of this now.

She closed her eyes in hopeless defeat, listening to Ollie's cries from the kitchen and wanting nothing more than to rush to Billie Joe and throw her arms around him. Moments after giving up, her heart lurched as she heard, what had to be, the most comforting sound in the world.

"Let go of her."

Jessie's eyes snapped open and she cried out in relief at the sight of Eddie standing on the doorstep, the front door open in front of him, wood splintered around the lock where John had forced his way in. Suddenly, John's grip on her loosened and she pulled free of him, as Eddie lunged forwards and pushed a struggling John against the wall.

"Eddie..." Jessie cried, "Billie Joe..."
"I told you to stay the fuck away- What about Billie Joe?" Eddie grunted, not taking his eyes from John.
"He's hurt," Jessie cried.

Eddie looked over his shoulder into the kitchen, where Billie Joe was still lying on the floor, Ollie crouched at his side. She looked up at Eddie, and relief crossed her face.

"Eddie..." she cried, "Oh thank God you're here..."

John tried to push Eddie away, but was shoved back against the wall.

"Call the cops!" he shouted, "Jessie, get the phone and tell them to get over here, right now."
"Fucking... who the hell d'you think you-"
"Shut it," Eddie growled, as Jessie did as she was told, barely able to speak into the phone through her tears, as she watched what was happening in front of her eyes.

Three police officers were on the scene in five minutes, but it felt like hours to everyone involved, as Eddie struggled to hold John back until they arrived.

He let go of John with relief as the officers took over, turning John around and handcuffing him.

"John Perrone, you are under arrest for charges of abusing a minor, threatening behaviour and assault-"

Eddie pointed to the door.

"And break-in entry," he said.
"... And break-in entry," the officer added, "You do not have to say anything but it may harm your defence if you do not mention now, anything you later rely on in court. Anything you do say will be given in evidence."

As they led John out of the house, Jessie covered her face with her shaking hands and leant back against the wall. At the feel of a hand on her shoulder, she looked up to see the third police officer, who had remained inside the house.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

She nodded.

"What's going to happen to my dad?"
"We'll have to see about that. It should go to trial in the next couple of weeks. But you don't have to worry. He isn't getting off. We have plenty of evidence against him."
"Do I have to testify?"
"You already did. We have everything we need to prosecute him. He's guilty, and if he has any sense, that's how he'll plead."

Jessie nodded, as a dull numbness took over, and the officer squeezed her shoulder before heading into the kitchen, where Eddie was picking Billie Joe up off the floor. Ollie silently took Jessie's hand and squeezed it as they anxiously followed Eddie and the officer into the living room, where they set a groggy-looking Billie Joe down on the couch.

"Are you okay, man?" Eddie asked him, crouching to his level.

Billie Joe put a hand to his forehead. Jessie bit her lip, fresh tears coming to her eyes as she took in the bruise that was beginning to form across his cheekbone. She sat down next to him on the couch and took his hand as the police officer touched his chin and turned his head to examine his face.

"D'you feel okay, son? Are you dizzy?"
"No... I'm okay. Where's John?"
"They took him," said Ollie, sitting down on the other side of him, "It's all over now."

Ollie wrapped her arms around her son and held him against her, as he closed his eyes in silent relief, tightly gripping Jessie's hand.

"If you folks are alright here, I'll leave you to it," said the officer, "And we'll be in touch."
"I'm fine," Billie Joe nodded, "Honest."
"Thanks Officer," said Eddie.
"No problem. We'll keep you informed as Mr. Perrone awaits trial."

Eddie showed the police out and watched as the squad car pulled away, with a subdued-looking John in the back seat. Letting out a breath, he walked back into the living room, where Ollie, Jessie and Billie Joe were still huddled together on the couch.

"You guys sure you're alright?" he asked.
"We will be now," said Ollie, "Thanks to you."

Eddie shrugged.

"You don't have to thank me," he said, "I'm just glad I showed up when I did."
"If you hadn't been there," Jessie muttered, shakily, "God knows where I'd be right now."

Billie Joe gave her hand a squeeze.

"Fortunately, we don't even have to think about that," he said, reassuringly, "Because you're safe now."
"Everyone's safe now," agreed Eddie, placing a hand on top of Jessie's head, "Oh, and I almost forgot the whole damn reason I came."

He reached into his pocket and pulled out a plastic money bag, which he dropped into Billie Joe's lap. Billie Joe looked up at Eddie and smiled weakly.

"Thanks, man," he said,
"No problem, Kid," Eddie smiled, "We'd better get you some ice to put on that face of yours."
"I'll get some," said Ollie, standing up.

As she left the room, Billie Joe dropped his arm around Jessie's shoulders.

"You okay?" he asked, quietly.

She nodded.

"I should probably leave you guys to it," said Eddie, scratching his head.
"No... you don't have to go," said Billie Joe, as Ollie came back into the room holding a bag of ice.
"No," said Ollie, handing the ice to Billie Joe, "You at least have to stay for some cake."
"We have cake?" Jessie questioned.
"Of course," Ollie smiled, "You think we're gonna miss out on cake because of all of this? I'm not letting John ruin this birthday, no way."

Eddie grinned.

"I never turn down cake," he said, "I'll give you a hand serving up."

When Eddie and Ollie had left the room, Billie Joe pulled Jessie a little closer and kissed her cheek.

"Sorry," he whispered, "This isn't exactly a good birthday after all."
"Billie," Jessie smiled, holding the ice up to his face, "You have nothing to be sorry about. I love how you stood up for me to my Dad. Not many people stand up to him, you know. And... this is still the best birthday I can remember."

Billie Joe smiled, wryly.

"It must have had some pretty shitty contenders."
"Well yeah... but mainly its just the rest of the day has been awesome enough to make this seem somehow worth it."

She smiled, and he smiled back, before they were distracted by voices in the hallway.

"What the hell happened to your door?"

Jessie smiled.

"Hi Tre," she called.

The pair of them looked up as Mike and Tre appeared in the doorway.

"What the hell happened to you?" Mike asked, as both his and Tre's eyes went wide.

After they had been filled in on the recent happenings in the Armstrong house, and everyone had had as much cake as they could eat forced upon them by Ollie, everyone say down in the living room, reflecting on what had happened.

"I think I'll have to go to court and testify about what happened here," said Eddie, licking the icing from his fingers. "They'll need a witness that he broke in and that he hit Billie."

Ollie sighed.

"I'm sorry you got dragged into all of this, Eddie," she said, sadly.
"Hey, I don't mind in the slightest," said Eddie, with a wave of his hand, "If I can do my bit to make sure there are less John Perrones walking the streets, then I'm a happy guy."

Billie Joe smiled.

"You were awesome though, man," he said, "Seriously, you totally saved the day."

Eddie smiled.

"I think you did your bit too, Bill," he said.
"He definitely did his bit too," Jessie smiled, affectionately, and Billie Joe smiled, wincing a little as she pressed the ice back against his skin.

Tre watched them, huddled together on the couch, and wondered if he was the only one who noticed the way their hands were entwined together, the way Billie Joe's thumb was subtly rubbing Jessie's fingers, or the warmth and affection that shone in their eyes every time they looked in each other's direction. He let out a breath, and Mike turned to him.

"You okay, dude?" he muttered, underneath the buzz of conversation.

Tre looked back over at Billie Joe and Jessie and smiled, wistfully.

"Yeah, man," he said, "... I think I am."

Mike and Tre were the last to leave, and it was late by the time they eventually headed off, with Ollie already in bed, and their voices lowered to whispers. Jessie and Billie Joe hugged them both as they stood out on the porch.

"Thanks for a great birthday, guys," she said
"No problem, Jess," Tre smiled.
"Any chance to humiliate Billie, you don't have to thank me for," Mike grinned, and they laughed.

Once the door had closed behind them, Billie Joe wrapped his arms around Jessie and hugged her tightly.

"Thanks Billie," she sighed into his hair.
"You're always welcome," he murmured back.

Pulling away, Billie Joe took her hand and led her towards the stairs, and she wrapped her arms around his waist as they started up them. Once they were outside Billie Joe's bedroom, he took her face in his hands and kissed her softly, letting out a quiet breath as he pulled her closer, before backing them both through his bedroom door.

"So I'm sleeping over here tonight, huh?" Jessie smiled, against his lips as he nudged the door shut with his foot.

He grinned.

"Sure you are," he smiled, cheekily, kissing her again, "I didn't give you birthday present number four yet... "